More NAS drive advice as music server - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 42 Old 15-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
Wave More NAS drive advice as music server

Set the scene in as abbreviated fashion as I possibly can.

Cambridge Audio NP30 network player through DacMagic and 840A amp, operating wirelessly. In the process of ripping my CD collection and arranging it on my Seagate BlackArmour NAS220 in a - relatively -organised fashion. Ripping simply using Windows Media Player in WAV format with settings at maximum quality (lossless) with no copyright protection. I want to be able to access the music I have on the NAS from the NP30 to be played as and when I wish without recourse to switching on the computer. Which in theory I should be able to do with no issues . . . . .

HOWEVER . . . . . . The NP30 cannot see or read ANY of the WAV files I rip from my CD's which I have stored. Copying over to a pen drive they play fine so nothing wrong with the way they have been ripped. AND YET . . . any files that are on the NAS in either MP3, ALAC or WMA are visible and play wirelessly through the NP30 with no problems.

I have been advised to download and install TWONKY on the NAS drive as it is simply one of those little glitches that crop up (apparently particularly so on some high end brands such as Naim, Linn etc) but that this software helps resolve the issue. I have looked at TWONKY and can't truly work out which version I should and do need. I am no geek, but nor am I a technical ignoramus, however this has me a bit perplexed. What do I need and how do I install/configure it? Any help and advice is gratefully appreciated.

Oh - and as an aside. I tried connecting the NP30 to my VirginMedia (not so) Superhub via an ethernet connection and it timed out repeatedly. Cable fine, so this too has me stumped. I may want to benefit from better quality in future which requires a wired connection.

Si puo nascere Alfista, si puo anche diventare Alfista.
Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
WAV is not the best format. Have you considered FLAC ?
If your player won't connect to the Hub how did you get it to see the files on your NAS?
Twonky is a piece of DLNA compliant server software. You install it on your NAS and its job is to stream music to your media player. Connecting to a USB stick is not streaming.
I am not familiar with that player but I am familiar with Squeezebox players & other media players connecting to Logitech Media Server and Twonky both running on the same NAS and serving the same files.
What make is the NAS?
AO Silver Member

Done a bit of Googling. It's your choice of WAV. If you ripped as FLAC or ALAC you'd be laughing. The player can read WAV off a stick but the Seagate is running some kind of DLNA server which doesn't support WAV.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
What make is the NAS?
It's a Seagate Blackarmour and they are RUBBISH, had one at a company I used to work for, the 440 version 2TB RAID5, had terrible problems with it.

It just didn't do the things the literature said it did.
AO Silver Member

I think in this case it has some kind of DLNA server built in which probably won't stream WAV. I can't see any reference to successfully installing Twonky on it so suspect the OP would be best advised to change to another supported lossless format.
I'd opt for FLAC or bite my tongue and try 320 Kbps MP3s - you have to have good kit and good ears to tell the difference.
AO Platinum Member

This should give you an idea of ow **** they are and how poorly supported too.

BlackArmor NAS Network Storage Server - Seagate Community Forums

Things may have improved but in the time I was using it, lots of people had awful problems.
(Post Link) post #7 of 42 Old 16-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
BGZ

It is connected Ok wirelessly. Am trying a rip in WMA lossless so lets see what that brings.
I am aware what streaming is. I tried the pen drive purely to see if the file was OK and not corrupt or protected. Alas changing the NAS is not an option but it must be said it was sold as music server.
Thanks for your help though it is appreciated
AO Silver Member

Stesco
I googled the NAS manual and can see it has iTunes and DLNA servers. I take it you are not bothered about iTunes - why would you with a Cambridge Audio player?
The manual doesn't tell you which file formats the DLNA supports so I guess the thing to do is to try a few and see which works best.
If I were you I'd read up about alternative ripping software to WMP.
EAC - Exact Audio Copy & dbPoweramp are both highly recommended.
AO Platinum Member

Or sack it off and just play CDs, they'll probably sound better
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
This should give you an idea of ow **** they are and how poorly supported too.

BlackArmor NAS Network Storage Server - Seagate Community Forums

Things may have improved but in the time I was using it, lots of people had awful problems.
Just had a look. I see what you mean. Lots of questions, very few answers.
(Post Link) post #11 of 42 Old 16-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Or sack it off and just play CDs, they'll probably sound better
Indeed. Or revert to vinyll which is unbeatable. Alas in the interest of domestic harmony not an option . . . . . . And I ain't sacrificing my HiFi or resorting to an iPod dock

I DO have iTunes. However used to load my iPod, (and the boys iPod and the mrs iPod, Ipad and iPhone) for the car and nothing else now - the NP30 was bought as a piece of 'proper' HiFi.

I somehow need to see if I can narrow this down a bit. Doesn't see the WMA pro either it would seem.

I had dowloaded Audacity so suspect a load of file conversion is going to need to be done.
AO Silver Member

Audacity is good for recording (vinyl to digital) but not easy to use for converting. DbPoweramp is supposed to be best at that. It will also rip to 2 formats simultaneously - lossless for Cambridge and mp3 for iThingys ?
When you put the WMA file on NAS did you rescan the media folder?
AO Platinum Member

You can use itunes to do the conversion

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format
AO Silver Member

Quote:
You can use itunes to do the conversion

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format
Sean. Yes that works but he is talking about ripping Cds. It ain't the best ripper.

Found this

Can I share my music, movies and photos with media streaming devices?

Yes. The BlackArmor NAS 440 is both iTunes Server and a DLNA Compliant Digital Media Server. This means that not only can you store digital content on your BlackArmor NAS 440; you can also stream it to systems using iTunes and other DLNA Media Adapters.

Supported File Types:
Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, DivX, Xvid. WMV, MPEG4 (Part2), MPEG4 (H.264), VC1, .m4b, *.rmvb, *.rm, *.m4v, *.divx, *.xvid, *.mkv, *.mts, *.flv using open source “ffmpeg” library

Audio: MP3, AAC (*.aac, *.mp4, *.m4a, *.m4p), AC3 (*.ac3, *.dts) , LPCM (*.pcm), WAV; ogg vorbis (*.ogg);, WMA, 3gp ;
Images: JPEG (*.jpg, *.jpeg, (*.jpe); GIF (*.gif); BMP (*.bmp); PNG (*.png); TIFF (*.tif, *.tiff); PSD
(Post Link) post #15 of 42 Old 16-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Mine is a NAS 220 though. I must take a look. It has had the latest firmware update too. I don't need to rip in 2 formats as I just use WAV for iTunes too. Seemed easier that way (little did I know . . . . . . )

Also I have an old desktop that is now Linux. Would that be better for ripping and what software would be best on that one??

I do appreciate all your input as it is driving me crackers.

The little NP30 is a crecking wee toy. Sounding almost as good as when I had my 'proper' HiFi (CD63 KI Sig, Audiolab 8000S + 8000P, Mission 752 freedoms). Them were the days.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StescoG66 View Post
Mine is a NAS 220 though. I must take a look. It has had the latest firmware update too. I don't need to rip in 2 formats as I just use WAV for iTunes too. Seemed easier that way (little did I know . . . . . . )

Also I have an old desktop that is now Linux. Would that be better for ripping and what software would be best on that one??

I do appreciate all your input as it is driving me crackers.

The little NP30 is a crecking wee toy. Sounding almost as good as when I had my 'proper' HiFi (CD63 KI Sig, Audiolab 8000S + 8000P, Mission 752 freedoms). Them were the days.
I couldn't find anything specific about 220 but I expect its the same - out of that lot of formats I would be tempted to try m4a (Apple Lossless) and although I don't like iTunes as a ripper seeing as you have it you could try ripping a CD with it into that format - setup the "Import CD" settings first Edit, Preferences - middle of first tab.

Have to say Sean appears to be right. There are a lot of problems on the Seagate forums with this hardware and a lot of them seem to be about DLNA compatibilty.

I am glad I have Squeezeboxes and although I moan about the server side software it is actually very good compared to DLNA.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Sean. Yes that works but he is talking about ripping Cds. It ain't the best ripper.

Found this

Can I share my music, movies and photos with media streaming devices?

Yes. The BlackArmor NAS 440 is both iTunes Server and a DLNA Compliant Digital Media Server. This means that not only can you store digital content on your BlackArmor NAS 440; you can also stream it to systems using iTunes and other DLNA Media Adapters.

Supported File Types:
Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, DivX, Xvid. WMV, MPEG4 (Part2), MPEG4 (H.264), VC1, .m4b, *.rmvb, *.rm, *.m4v, *.divx, *.xvid, *.mkv, *.mts, *.flv using open source “ffmpeg” library

Audio: MP3, AAC (*.aac, *.mp4, *.m4a, *.m4p), AC3 (*.ac3, *.dts) , LPCM (*.pcm), WAV; ogg vorbis (*.ogg);, WMA, 3gp ;
Images: JPEG (*.jpg, *.jpeg, (*.jpe); GIF (*.gif); BMP (*.bmp); PNG (*.png); TIFF (*.tif, *.tiff); PSD
He was talking about converting files he's already ripped and iTunes does that quite easily.
(Post Link) post #18 of 42 Old 18-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
May have found a solution so will rerport back with results.

Apparently this issue is not unknown and not exclusive to my NAS crap though it is. Known and crops up occasionally with Sonos, Linn and Naim kit.
(Post Link) post #19 of 42 Old 18-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
May have found a solution so will rerport back with results.

Apparently this issue is not unknown and not exclusive to my NAS crap though it is. Known and crops up occasionally with Sonos, Linn and Naim kit.
AO Silver Member

Shall be interested to hear what it is.

Had a read up about the CA NP30. It seems to be quite well specified but the problem with local streaming is DLNA. If you get time have a read about it. The standard is very loose.
My QNAP runs both LMS (Logitech Media Server) for Squeezeboxes and Twonky for other "players". With LMS you can stream lossless without any issue, the library is a small db and the navigation is excellent. For example you can access "New Music" which gives you a reverse chronological list of recently added stuff. The Twonky on the other hand which I occasionally use with the household PS3 is rubbish. If you select by Album and play a CD it plays the tracks in alphabetical order not proper track order. This is admittedly an old Twonky but these sort of issues are very common with DLNA servers.
Correction: PS3 reads tracks in correct order but Samsung Smart TV and a couple of my other players won't.

Last edited by biggreenzebra; 18-01-13 at 15:13.
(Post Link) post #21 of 42 Old 18-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Basically I downloaded the free version of Asset from dbpoweramp to see what it does. It now 'sees' the tracks but without any album/artist information at present. I suspect the paid version will sort these issues, but I need to first work out what version I need. I think it's the uPnP version, but I'll look into it over the tonight/over the weekend. It's a start . . . . . . .
AO Silver Member

Have a look at mp3tag software.
Sean suggested using iTunes to convert the files. I don't like it much but try ripping a CD with iTunes into one of the formats that the Np30 and the NAS both support. ITunes does a reasonable job of tagging if it recognises the CD in the first place.
DbPoweramp should rip and tag properly but I do still have doubts about using WAV or WMA formats.
AO Platinum Member

Best tag app I know is tagscanner

http://www.xdlab.ru/en/
(Post Link) post #24 of 42 Old 19-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Have a look at mp3tag software.
Sean suggested using iTunes to convert the files. I don't like it much but try ripping a CD with iTunes into one of the formats that the Np30 and the NAS both support. ITunes does a reasonable job of tagging if it recognises the CD in the first place.
DbPoweramp should rip and tag properly but I do still have doubts about using WAV or WMA formats.
Personally found iTunes hit and miss with regard to tagging. Doesn't recognise an album unless it's available in the iYunes store - Windoze Media Player far better in that respect as it matches the album data up online for you.

I'll give the tagging software a go and let you know how I get on with asset.

Thanks for all your help guys any other advice gratefully received and info to date appreciated

Oh well = that was £20 wasted . . . . .

Last edited by StescoG66; 19-01-13 at 09:45. Reason: Update
(Post Link) post #25 of 42 Old 23-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Well the mystery deepens. I downloaded and ran Asset uPnP and now the network player sees all the files correctly - providing the computer is on. Not the way I planned it to work but for now will have to do. It does point to some flaw in the software of the NAS drive as all media/uPnP options are ticked. Bummer . . . .

However my iTunes has now fouled up, giving me the error message "The folder iTunes is on a locked disc or you do not have write permissions for this folder". Damn thing is driving me up the tree I tell you.

One thing improves and the other fouls up . . . . . . . . .

PS That wee tagging program is ace.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
advice , drive , music , nas , server

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page