Powerline and wifi - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

Spacecadet

Powerline and wifi

Just a brief note on powerline Internet access systems.

In my house the Internet connection is by the front door. The cable goes from the BT master socket to the router and fibre thing in the garage( screwed to the wall) this then plugs into a power socket nearby with a solwise 200mbps powerline plug. At source I get 23mbps to 32mbps steady from the router by wire. Depending on speed test site.

In my lounge, I have a powerline plug with 4 ports to connect PS3, Sky box plus 2 spare. 28-40! Mbps transfer rate steady on ps3. Think the ps3 over reads a touch!

Upstairs, another single plug for my PC. 22mbps-30mbps.

And now added a wireless N plug for added coverage which runs at 20mbps wireless steady at the very far opposite end the house, in a different floor!

I reckon these homeplug inc wireless ones are really very good. All solwise products.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

I've used the Solwise 200 Mbps plugs for a couple of years on the reccomendation of a colleague at work. We both work in IT and are certified in a number of technologies, which includes basic networking so I trust his reccomendations. I use a similar set up to yourself and now only use wireless for mobile devices and also use the Powerline to extend wireless into a dead spots.

I no longer use the 200 Mbps homeplugs though, but only because I upgraded to 500 Mbps at the end of last year in anticipation of my current broadband speed doubling shortly.
Spacecadet

Are you going to be getting broadband at over 200mbps then?

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
The 500 ones will run higher than the 20-40 that you ate currently getting and since Infinity 2 will deliver up to 79 down it makes sense. I use Devolo version but stream music from a NAS on my network as well as TV from the cloud etc. The faster the better.
Spacecadet

I kind of get the idea, but my broadband is rated as up to 40mbps. Why go higher?

If you will be expecting 79mbps internet why go from 200mbps to 500mbps?

Sorry, I'm confused?

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Because the real speed of 200 is much less. The real speed of 500 will be a bit higher. If your fibre is 40mb at present (and you get close to it) then you are likely to be offered 79 in the not too distant future. However if it works for you as it is then great. I am just saying that with Infinity 2 500 would make a difference with Infinity 1 I doubt it would.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
I kind of get the idea, but my broadband is rated as up to 40mbps. Why go higher?

If you will be expecting 79mbps internet why go from 200mbps to 500mbps?

Sorry, I'm confused?
Mb and Mbps are different. 200 Mbps (200 mega bits) is equivalent to a link speed of 50Mb (mega bytes) as there are 8 bits to a byte. These are theoretical speeds and the 3 makes of Powerline boxes which I've had never reach the full speed for a variety of reasons. The PC directly connected to the router could reach the full advertised download speed on the Internet of 50 Mb (cable internet) but the ones connected through Powerline fell short, but still provided a good reliable connection.

My Internet link is to be increased to 100 Mb so the older Powerline boxes already maxed out short of 50Mb and won't reach any where near the full speed of the new Internet pipe.

Using the new 500 AV plugs, my other PCs now operate on the Internet as fast as the directly connected one and hopefully will increase soon with my 'free' upgrade.

I also have a central storage NAS box which backs up 3 copies of the families data to another PC in the house and sends an off site copy to the "cloud" and as has been said, your network can never be too fast.

Although there are 1000 Mbps Powerlines advertised, the ones I looked at were brought out before standards were ratified and don't get good reviews and they aren't always backwardly compatible with the 200 and 500 ones with ratified standards so I chose the 500.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The trouble with these powerline adaptors is that they cause inteferance to the radio spectrum, mostly in the under 30MHz area.

So if one of your neighbours is into CB, Amateur radio or shortwave listening you may well get reported to Ofcom and be asked to remove it.

They may well be CE approved, but it has been proven that they still cause inteferance due to the way they are designed.

I hear the newer ones can also cause problems within the broadcast radio frequencies up to around half a mile away.
Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
The trouble with these powerline adaptors is that they cause inteferance to the radio spectrum, mostly in the under 30MHz area.

So if one of your neighbours is into CB, Amateur radio or shortwave listening you may well get reported to Ofcom and be asked to remove it.

They may well be CE approved, but it has been proven that they still cause inteferance due to the way they are designed.

I hear the newer ones can also cause problems within the broadcast radio frequencies up to around half a mile away.
On an estate as tightly jammed in as mine, I think I'm safe. That said, the last one, with wifi has a little slip of paper saying it conforms to all relevant UK and Euro rules.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post

The last time I looked at this it was doubtful Ofcom would do anything about it, but I'm not sure what the latest stance is.

Some ISPs are now recommending Homeplugs as a way to get data around the house more reliably than wireless.

This is the article I read a while ago:

Ofcom refuses to interfere on powerline networking interference ? The Register
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
On an estate as tightly jammed in as mine, I think I'm safe. That said, the last one, with wifi has a little slip of paper saying it conforms to all relevant UK and Euro rules.
The rules are flawed, that was one of the problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1714 View Post
The last time I looked at this it was doubtful Ofcom would do anything about it, but I'm not sure what the latest stance is.

Some ISPs are now recommending Homeplugs as a way to get data around the house more reliably than wireless.

This is the article I read a while ago:

Ofcom refuses to interfere on powerline networking interference ? The Register

That is because like most government departments they don't have a lot of spare cash.

I do know that they will act on individual cases of reported inteferance. They cannot act on all devices because it was them that mistakenly allowed the use of them in the first place.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
powerline , wifi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page