Home NAS Opinons - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 08-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Home NAS Opinons

Anybody running a recent NAS?

I'm thinking of putting one on my home network as my primary storage for multiple machines.

Things I'm likely wanting it to do

Hold all my music and home videos
UPNP Streaming Server
iTunes Server
Hardware RAID
Backup to External USB
Have network shares for me and the wife
Access it from tablet devices

I'm really thinking of going with QNAP unless people have experience of other kit that does similar things.

Thinking this should be adequate

http://www.qnap.com/uk/index.php?lan...t=2512&n=14037

Cheers

Sean

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Sean. The best NAS that does all that you want out of the box is a QNAP
Various models available from one disk to rack mounted multi disk. They ain't cheap but a 2 disk one in Raid 1. We have bought loads from ultimatestorage.com - I can get a small discount on their RRP.

On the external USB backup - don't. Get an eSata/usb3 caddy and plug it in to QNAPs esata port.

What sort of media player do you want to use ?
AO Silver Member

Ps I run a TS419-P with Logitech Squeeze Server installed in addition to Twonky (uPnP/DLNA) which comes as part of the standard install.
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 08-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Sean. The best NAS that does all that you want out of the box is a QNAP
Various models available from one disk to rack mounted multi disk. They ain't cheap but a 2 disk one in Raid 1. We have bought loads from ultimatestorage.com - I can get a small discount on their RRP.

On the external USB backup - don't. Get an eSata/usb3 caddy and plug it in to QNAPs esata port.

;dWhat sort of media player do you want to use ?
Not fussed really, I have an old Phillips Streamium Box knocking about that I can plug into an amp with some speakers to keep things cheap and cheerful to begin with.

I was thinking along the same lines re eSATA, startech do some decent stuff to get that going but it aint cheap as chips cheap so USB will have to do for now as I already have a 500GB Maxtor and I don't have anywhere near that amount of data anyway, once the backup data is seeded I just need to decide wether I want to sync or do incremental backups.

I'm upgrading my laptop as well, found a place online selling through amazon that has 128GB 1.8" SSD for 15, their mistake obviously, and here's hoping they're using amazons fulfillment and it goes out in the post before anybody notices.

Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

I have a D-Link DNS320 with 2x 2Tb RAIDed drives which does all you mention. It has never crashed or hung unlike a previous Iomega which also had quite possibly the worst designed GUI ever.

At the office we use a 4-bay Synology DS411j which is a mid-range box that runs a version of Linux as it's OS and it is very good.
AO Silver Member

I bought an eSata/USB3.0 caddy (actually four if them) - no disk - for about 18 each. I don't think that's very dear Sean.
Philips Streamium is good kit - I think you will just need Twonky for that.
There are plenty of Tablet apps - android or apple?
AO Silver Member

Synology are also good - similar price to QNAP - my son has one.
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 08-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
I bought an eSata/USB3.0 caddy (actually four if them) - no disk - for about 18 each. I don't think that's very dear Sean.
Philips Streamium is good kit - I think you will just need Twonky for that.
There are plenty of Tablet apps - android or apple?
It's all well and good saying that but where from might be a bit more helpful the startech ones I was looking at were starting at around 50, granted I haven't looked very hard though.

I used to use Twonky with the Streamium from my Desktop, before that the appalling Phillips Media Software that came with my desktop, which is also Phillips (an LS1000 which has been very reliable in the 7 years I've had it). I dunno if it will still connect to the internet radio stations it used to though.

Not sure which tablet yet, but most likely a iPad Mini if Apple get their finger out and bring out a Retina version
AO Silver Member

Sorry Sean thought I had posted - it was Amazon - eHome was the merchant.

On Streamium - I think you might have issues with m4a files but it is easy to convert them to mp3. The radio stations may have changed but if it supports AAC or Mp3 streams you can usually still find a URL if you search around.
Not sure if you are aware but Logitech have ceased production of Squeezeboxes leaving only the Sonos as a lone player in the market. Rumour has it that Pure are launching something mid range shortly.
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 09-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The QNAP is going to be out of my budget and secondhand they still command a decent price.

Anybody got any experience of the NetGear ReadyNAS Duo?

I don't mind compromising a bit, just want to centralise music & storage as a priority.
AO Silver Member

I'd avoid Netgear - a bit underpowered.
You could look at an HP Microserver - very well priced at 168 plus VAT. The one below comes with 2GB Ram and a single 250GB HD. It will take 4. Very well built.
Hewlett Packard HP ProLiant N40L 1P 2GB-U Emb SATA NHP 250GB LFF 150W PS MicroServer 658553-421 | Servers Direct
You would then need to find some software to run on it - Freenas with some plugins or perhaps Vortexbox ?
FreeNAS 8 | Features
VortexBox user forum - About
Freenas can be installed on a USB disk leaving the HDs as data only. The USB stick can be plugged in inside the box. It really needs 4GB Ram though.
Vortexbox is designed for music ripping if you add a CD Rom to the server. Not sure whether you can install that to a USB disk. You may be able to.
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
Mine is a Seagate BlackArmour which has been a bit of a PITA, but got there now. I seem to be having some issues though trying to stream to my Cambridge Audio NP30 network player. I have ripped well over 50% of my CD's in WAV format using Windows Media Player and the NP30 doesn't read them. MP3's are no problem however, but if sound quality is the key then be careful as FLAC files too can be problematic. All I can say is not as straightforward as it seems (as I am now finding out . . . )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
home , nas , opinons

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page