Laptop display - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

keithyboy

Laptop display

Ages ago I reinstalled XP on this ancient Dell laptop. More recently I repaired the broken hinges and actually turned the thing on. Now I've got a display problem. I downloaded all the drivers from Dell's website and everything is working apart from the display.

It's kind of blurred and out of focus and I don't seem to be able to adjust it other than to make everything massive but still blurred. I guessing it's a driver issue but I've installed all the ones it's supposed to have according to Dell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Does the laptop have a vga or hdmi output you could try with a monitor/tv? will give you and idea if it's definitely the driver.

could you have loosened the monitor cable/ribbon when you were fixing the hinges, might just need pushed in.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spx View Post
Does the laptop have a vga or hdmi output you could try with a monitor/tv? will give you and idea if it's definitely the driver.

could you have loosened the monitor cable/ribbon when you were fixing the hinges, might just need pushed in.

Yeah try plugging it into an ext. Monitor.

If If works ok on that then it is an LCD or LCD cable fault.

Most laptops I get with broken hinges have been used for a while with the screen dangling down hanging on the LCD cable which breaks them internally. The sharp edges of the broken hinge where it has sheared off can also cut through them.
keithyboy

It's fixed!

I reinstalled the driver a third time and this time it's worked perfectly. The old girl is running perfectly. The only issue is the battery not charging which I think is a problem with the charger socket thing and is far too much trouble to fix.

spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Awesome, much better than taking the screen apart.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
now install Ubuntu
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spx View Post
Awesome, much better than taking the screen apart.
I've fixed the screen in this and it's brothers and sisters that many times, I can have them apart in about 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
now install Ubuntu
Better than my mates suggestion: "Have you rebuilt it ready to donate it to a museum?"

Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

There is something lovely about fiddling with stuff that you're not supposed to and fixing it. We're mostly brought up taught not to "break the seal" but in the past couple of years I've fixed my Xbox and two PCs just through having a go.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Conversely (and this may be a candidate for the DIY thread) I tried recently to self-fix the DVD player in the back of the wife's Volvo.

It's not a built in thing or anything as slick or poncey as that - it's just a portable unit that runs two DVD screens (one slightly thicker than the other where the DVD slides in) and plugs into the cigarette lighter socket for power via a 12v plug jack thing.

For long journeys with 3 kids under 5 years old it's a godsend - but as the cigarette lighter in the Volvo is at the back of the centre console between the front seats - the power socket part of it is vulnerable to being knocked as the kids get in and out and it recently stopped working.

I went to have a look, and it was clear that the power cable going into the plug that goes into the cigarette lighter had been stretched. The seal around the end of the cable and the hard case was snapped and the wiring was visible.

This, I thought, is going be a breeze. I'll just need to open up the casing of the plug and see which wire has been pulled off it's connector, and then a blob of solder (oh yes - "solder" ) and Bob's your uncle. I could visualize the problem. I'd open the plug and there would be a disconnected wire right in front of me.

I got my electrical screwdriver out, found the little lugs on the plug that held it together, give them a bit of a squeeze free the two halves of the plug casing, and.....

.... "ping". The halves parted and about 1,000 small parts, including springs, circuit boards, diodes, little resistors and all sorts of stuff flew up into the air and landed all over the back seat of the car.

The only recognizable piece (to me) is a small circuit board with two firmly and securely attached power wires soldered onto it

I've now collected all the pieces and have put them in a "Box of shame" in the garage and informed the wife that it's more serious than it looked. I'm now scouring eBay for a replacement cable and power plug.....
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
That's a classic.........but it's complex and technical.

I lost one half of the locking clip on the strap of my bike helmet.......I had an old kids helmet in the shed...........easy......2-step operation:

1) remove clip off old helmet without looking at the way it was set-up; and
2) attempt fruitlessly to attach clip to new helmet - upside down.

became 3-steps:

3) finally bodge it on insecurely with a cable tie that will chafe my neck; and
4) discover the clips aren't actually compatible - and before anyone asks they were male/female.

I thank you.
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post

.... "ping". The halves parted and about 1,000 small parts, including springs, circuit boards, diodes, little resistors and all sorts of stuff flew up into the air and landed all over the back seat of the car.

The only recognizable piece (to me) is a small circuit board with two firmly and securely attached power wires soldered onto it

I've now collected all the pieces and have put them in a "Box of shame" in the garage and informed the wife that it's more serious than it looked. I'm now scouring eBay for a replacement cable and power plug.....
Reminds me of trying to fix a sticking seatbelt in my old 75. Bloody hell do those things have a big spring in them!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
display , laptop

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page