Windows 8... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 10-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Windows 8...

got the update email from Microsoft.

Downloaded the Upgrade Assistant and lo and behold, bar a couple of old programs I can use the new OS.

So I thought for 25, straight from Microsoft, seems a good enough deal.

Downloaded it and installed it and all went well, except that Win8 ignores my graphics card.

Doesn't even know it's there, and it won't let me install the driver software as the card I need the drivers for isn't installed.

The system just thinks I have a standard shared memory Microsoft display adapter.

Having a look around the web, this seems very common, for a range of graphics cards, with movement to the new OS, anyone found a work around?

The problem is made worse with my unfamiliarity with the internal workings, and to be fair, interface, of Win8. (3.11, 95, 98SE, or XP, would cause me any trouble).

...if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Grahameo

Same old , same old... Typical Microsoft... It's an age old problem that Microsoft have never got right throughout their entirety of operating systems... Check your graphics card manufacturer's website for updates soon... But don't hold your breath...

I just love how Microsoft bring out a new OS and say " Hey guys, this is great, you can do this, you can do that"
Yet half the stuff that you have installed in your tower won't work with it?
It doesn't matter to them if your stuff was working ok with windows 7, they literally can't be 4rsed to make an OS driver package that is reverse compatible... But they will still take your money willingly

SCGT

My son has just installed 8 , looks nice.....my steam laptop is about to go from Vista to 7 ....don't think it could handle 8 ...

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGT View Post
My son has just installed 8 , looks nice.....my steam laptop is about to go from Vista to 7 ....don't think it could handle 8 ...
The basic requirements are pretty much the same for 7 and 8

http://windows.microsoft.com/systemrequirements

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...m-requirements
SCGT

Just took a tour of 8 and yes its very pretty but it wants to be touched. Will install 7 as planned ....has to be better than jumpy vista ...

AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

7 needs less resource than Vista. 8 needs less resource than 7. MS have been cutting out the bloat.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGT View Post
Just took a tour of 8 and yes its very pretty but it wants to be touched. Will install 7 as planned ....has to be better than jumpy vista ...
I upgraded my dad's old laptop from Vista to Win 7 and also made sure it had more memory and the performance improved significantly. Win 7 is what Vista should have been. If the laptop has 2gb of memory or less, I would considering upgrading that as well. Memory is quite cheap again.

I recently bought him a solid state drive to replace the slow spinning laptop hard drive, which are coming down in price (under 150 for 256gb), and that made a massive improvement as well. Although this can be expensive for an old laptop, the improvements are amazing.
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahameo View Post
Same old , same old... Typical Microsoft... It's an age old problem that Microsoft have never got right throughout their entirety of operating systems... Check your graphics card manufacturer's website for updates soon... But don't hold your breath...

I just love how Microsoft bring out a new OS and say " Hey guys, this is great, you can do this, you can do that"
Yet half the stuff that you have installed in your tower won't work with it?
It doesn't matter to them if your stuff was working ok with windows 7, they literally can't be 4rsed to make an OS driver package that is reverse compatible... But they will still take your money willingly
Indeed, vista 64 bit was a nightmare for drivers and never really got sorted before 7 came out. 7 has only really recently become an OS that generally can just install easily without having to hunt down drivers.

I had a play with server 2012 the other day and find it bizarre that they have forced the metro style interface onto the server OS. I can see me rapidly learning powershell more in depth so I can install with no GUI.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
Indeed, vista 64 bit was a nightmare for drivers and never really got sorted before 7 came out. 7 has only really recently become an OS that generally can just install easily without having to hunt down drivers.

I had a play with server 2012 the other day and find it bizarre that they have forced the metro style interface onto the server OS. I can see me rapidly learning powershell more in depth so I can install with no GUI.
Just switch the metro service off and its gone
(Post Link) post #10 of 30 Old 27-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

I've got Pokki on mine, to avoid the touch-centric metro interface,

BUT still can't get a driver to work for my GPU.

Fails every time because I don't have that GPU installed. Kind of ruining the W8 experience...
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Just switch the metro service off and its gone
Ta, I will have a look. The industry I am in is always a couple of steps behind, so not had a chance to have a proper look yet.

AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Speaking of win 7. I've just built a fair decent machine. Quite well spec'ed and its as laggy as hell.

Any advice as I'm so rusty with Microsoft.

It's running win 7 home premium 64 with 4Gb DDR3 1600mhz ram, an intel i5 2.8ghz, an radeon graphics card (can't remember the model to hand), a 6Gs 1t hdd and an msi motherboard mid range.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
Speaking of win 7. I've just built a fair decent machine. Quite well spec'ed and its as laggy as hell.

It's running win 7 home premium 64 with 4Gb DDR3 1600mhz ram, an intel i5 2.8ghz, an radeon graphics card (can't remember the model to hand), a 6Gs 1t hdd and an msi motherboard mid range.

Win 7 and 4Gb with not much running should be fine. Do you have many programs running?

In not, Right click on the task bar and run task manager.

Select the processes tab and ensure that the option at the bottom which says "show processes for all users" is selected.

Sort by the CPU column so the things with high CPU are at the top.

Is there anything showing as having quite a high CPU consistently?

I once had a media sharing service running quite high once, I stopped the service and it was fine.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:

What is the system score and what is bringing it down?

Could be alsorts bit that should give you a clue
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Just gone from vista to 8 on my core2duo think pad and I'm well impressed!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
Just gone from vista to 8 on my core2duo think pad and I'm well impressed!
I need to get 8 on mine, I'm planning on getting a server 2012 hyperv server up and running in the new year to learn all the new Microsoft tech with and the server admin kit only installs on win8
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Quote:
What is the system score and what is bringing it down?

Could be alsorts bit that should give you a clue
I'll have to get that info in the morning as it's at my uncles house.

But if I remember correctly the lowest score was the hdd at 5.2

System only has office and a few games and it's with the games where it lags. Also installs takes excessively long for some reason.

System has only been up and running a couple of days so it's not cluttered with data.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:

System only has office and a few games and it's with the games where it lags. Also installs takes excessively long for some reason.

System has only been up and running a couple of days so it's not cluttered with data.
Could be a device driver that's not happy.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:

These scores only give you an indication of the performance of the components of your system. Unless you've invested in a SSD (solid state drive) the hard disk drive is usually the slowest part of most systems, especially laptops where the hard disks normally spin slower than desktops.

Unless you have a baseline of scores to compare these values to, they may not help too much.

The more common reasons why it would run slow in the manner you have described are:
1) A background process is using the CPU and/or disk
2) It is running out of memory and thus uses the swap file on the slow hard disk as memory
3) The hard disk is developing a physical fault

1 and 2 can usually be diagnosed using various tabs on task manager and when a hard disk starts to fail you often see lots of repetitive errors in the system event log relating to things like disk controllers.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Could be a device driver that's not happy.
This is a sound suggestion.

If you rang a help desk up, the first things that they should tell you to do (if you can understand English with a foreign accent) is to make sure you have all the latest drivers for all the hardware, are fully up to date with Microsoft Updates and are running all the latest versions of software which are also fully patched.

Also ensure there is a decent anti virus suite which is fully up to date.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Thanx, I've been thinking faulty hdd. Even though it's brand new it can still fail. Though ill check to see if something is eating up system resources.

Here's actual spec btw.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...49D8FD7341.jpg
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1714 View Post
This is a sound suggestion.

If you rang a help desk up, the first things that they should tell you to do (if you can understand English with a foreign accent) is to make sure you have all the latest drivers for all the hardware, are fully up to date with Microsoft Updates and are running all the latest versions of software which are also fully patched.

Also ensure there is a decent anti virus suite which is fully up to date.
I've downloaded all the latest drivers as far as I'm aware and windows has preformed s**t loads of updates.

As for AV it's running windows essentials that's just been updated.

I'll check the drivers again.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
I've downloaded all the latest drivers as far as I'm aware and windows has preformed s**t loads of updates.

As for AV it's running windows essentials that's just been updated.

I'll check the drivers again.
I'm not a big fan of Microsoft's anti virus.

I used to use McAfee until September when the subscription ran out. I tried Microsoft's as it had better reviews but one of my PCs got a virus (really a Trojan) which allows people to take control of my PC. I narrowed the infection down to my brother's account some time before the first half of November, but Microsoft's AV didn't start picking it up until fairly recently.

McAfee were detecting it in August. I went onto McAfee's US website and got a 3 pc package (US is usually cheaper than the UK) to replace Microsoft's AV. I much prefer to have paid for support with AV products and rarely pay more than 30 per year for all 3 PCs even though I could probably get Sophos from work for free, but with no support from Sophos.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Unfortunately the machine isn't mine and I had a budget to stick too, I blew the budget so I doubt there's anything left for a better AV
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Thanx, I've been thinking faulty hdd. Even though it's brand new it can still fail. Though ill check to see if something is eating up system resources.

Here's actual spec btw.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...49D8FD7341.jpg
That looks a decent spec, certainly without any games loaded it should perform quite well. I'd be surprised at memory problems with 8 Gb installed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page