Made the switch to fibre optic broadband - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 02-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Made the switch to fibre optic broadband

Well I've taken the plunge and gone fibre optic. This has been brought about by the unbelievably slow speed (.7 meg at worst) followed by walking around with the laptop trying to get it to connect. Now for those of you with experiance of TalkTalk you'll know that they can be a little exasperating. However I decided to stay with them as I couldn't do with the grief of changing email addresses. So having ordered online and Friday was booked in for installation between 8.00-13.00hrs. Engineer from open reach (BT) turned up at 10. Changed the main socket from downstairs to upstairs with no problem or complaint even though he was up the ladder for half an hour and there were brass monkeys wondering up and down looking for welders! "Have you got the modem they sent you" he says. No they havn't sent anything. Anyway he has one on the van and put that in and alls well. The engineer said get in touch with talktalk and get them to send you the latest one as these connect better. Now the prospect of phoneing them up always makes me slump but got through more or less straight away and expained that they havn't sent a welcome pack / modem, "You have to ring the post office" was the response. Asked her if she was sure about this and she replied yes. Now not one for doubting them but I decided to give it a minute and ring back. Second operator put me through to customer services where she went off for a bit and came back saying "the engineer will have one on the van, we don't provided them"! With this I thought thats OK them as thats what happened and everythings fine. 10 minutes later there is a knock at the door. Post man with said new router!!!
Have to say that the speed and connectivity is much improved. So now I have two modems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Hah, talk talk... imbeciles
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
I complained to Sky last week about my 1.3 meg speed. After half an hour going through all the checks on his screen he does a test and tells me that I'm running at max line speed for my area on the edge of town. I asked to be put through to customer services and told them I was thinking of cancelling. With this he sorted a 12 month deal for fibre optic for 2 extra a month so I went with it and its going in next week. But then on Sunday night I noticed my snail pace internet was faster....It's been on 3.4 meg ever since. So, was this a ploy to sell the fibre optic and if I cancel in the cooling off period will it slow down again All broadband and phone providers are a bunch of ****house merchants. Not a good honest company out there.
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 02-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfafamily View Post
I complained to Sky last week about my 1.3 meg speed. After half an hour going through all the checks on his screen he does a test and tells me that I'm running at max line speed for my area on the edge of town. I asked to be put through to customer services and told them I was thinking of cancelling. With this he sorted a 12 month deal for fibre optic for 2 extra a month so I went with it and its going in next week. But then on Sunday night I noticed my snail pace internet was faster....It's been on 3.4 meg ever since. So, was this a ploy to sell the fibre optic and if I cancel in the cooling off period will it slow down again All broadband and phone providers are a bunch of ****house merchants. Not a good honest company out there.
Thats true. I have to say though that this is the best it's ever been. I was thinking of going back to BT as all the people I've talked to say it's not the cheapest but it's the best. At the end of the day you get what you pay for i suppose.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossca View Post
Thats true. I have to say though that this is the best it's ever been. I was thinking of going back to BT as all the people I've talked to say it's not the cheapest but it's the best. At the end of the day you get what you pay for i suppose.
Out of interest, what speed are you getting now. Sky told me I should get 40meg. I'll believe that when I see it. When its only about 10 or 12 they'll tell me there are starlings on my line or something equally stupid.
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 02-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quoted as 38 meg and the BT man said thats what I was getting download and 14 up load. However when I ran the speed checker it was about 12 meg download. This could be because i'm using it wireless rather than hard wired.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossca View Post
Quoted as 38 meg and the BT man said thats what I was getting download and 14 up load. However when I ran the speed checker it was about 12 meg download. This could be because i'm using it wireless rather than hard wired.
Looks like my guess at my final speed was about right then
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I'm on BT fibre, and am lucky enough to be in one of the very very few towns that currently can have Fibre To The House which means very high speed. BT's installation was vey well done - placed the fibre modem where I wanted it (in the garage), made sure everyting was working and even installed a switch which will allow at some point my telephones to run over the fibre with, literally, a flick of a switch.

And last week I got a free speed upgrade nominally from 100mbs to 160mbs......I am now actually getting around....

Overall I am rather pleased!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0687.jpg (100.0 KB, 11 views)

Tirreni

Alfa History: 145 1.7, GTV2.0, GTV 3.0 V6, Brera 2.4 JTDm
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirreni View Post
I'm on BT fibre, and am lucky enough to be in one of the very very few towns that currently can have Fibre To The House which means very high speed. BT's installation was vey well done - placed the fibre modem where I wanted it (in the garage), made sure everyting was working and even installed a switch which will allow at some point my telephones to run over the fibre with, literally, a flick of a switch.

And last week I got a free speed upgrade nominally from 100mbs to 160mbs......I am now actually getting around....

Overall I am rather pleased!
I'm jealous, very very jealous
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 04-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Anyone any idea why there is a USB port on the side of the new hub and whats it used for?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Two thoughts - connecting a printer to provide a wireless capability, or plugging in a memory sick to be used as a network shared drive type thingy?
AO Silver Member

My broadband went over to fibre yesterday. So far so good. Initially it was at 18 but as Sky said in their bumph it is gradually increasing. 23 meg tonight. At last I can use my internet TV and Sky on demand properly and watch YouTube without it freezing and buffering.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
broadband , fibre , made , optic , switch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page