Google Search. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 23-11-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Google Search.

Yet another probably silly question from me.

Until yesterday when looking at Google search results near the bottom was a location option for " Worldwide ", " UK Only, " etc.

I'm not getting this any more and it's a bit difficult to have to keep changing the keywords to be UK specific.

Am I doing anything wrong ? How can I change this ?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
1. What web browser are you using?
2. What is the web address for Google that you're using?
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 23-11-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Hi WTFH

Using FF, right up to date. Haven't changed anything recently. Seem to recall I had this a few Months ago but then it reverted to " normal. "

The Link below shows what a Search Result page looks like. Not sure how I can check the actual Google address, just go to the Window in the Tool Bar and type in what I want. Incidentally I changed the Engine to Bing and yahoo engines but got either exactly or very similar looking results, no option to go for just pages From The UK.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ma...ient=firefox-a

This was the result of typing in " map of boston ".

Just went back to the History files when I'm sure it was working OK but clicking on the Link now displays the same type of page as in the above Link.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! - TBA

email: [email protected]

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.

Last edited by Nige005; 23-11-12 at 14:23.
AO Silver Member

Interesting...
See, for me that link works - it takes me to Boston (Lincs), but that works because I am signed in to google with a gmail account that has my location in it.
If I go to google.com, I'm no longer signed in, so it goes to Boston (MA)

I wonder has that something to do with it.
AO Silver Member

Ok, been playing around a bit more and this might help:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...le-uk-the-web/

Install the google UK search and remove the google.com one.
(Post Link) post #6 of 15 Old 23-11-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
Interesting...
See, for me that link works - it takes me to Boston (Lincs), but that works because I am signed in to google with a gmail account that has my location in it.
If I go to google.com, I'm no longer signed in, so it goes to Boston (MA)

I wonder has that something to do with it.
Dunno.

As you can see in the Link I posted I get world wide results. When I view that Link I do get Boston Lincs first but after that there's a lot of Boston MA stuff. That's OK as in the past the options for " Web Pages From " always appeared in the left hand side of the page so I just clicked on" Pages from UK Only " and instant filtering was applied.

The whole page looks a little different, particularly at the top where " Web " appears on the left hand side in red. Can't remember what it was like before but pretty sure it wasn't like that.

Sure I'm missing the bleeding obvious somewhere but as I said I haven't changed anything at all here. Unless of course one of the recent auto updates to the XP OS has changed something.......
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 23-11-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Ok, been playing around a bit more and this might help:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...le-uk-the-web/

Install the google UK search and remove the google.com one.

Interesting but not sure if that's the answer though as in the the Link it does end with google. uk or summat like that. Might be worth a try tomorrow though.

Just done a search for " tyre fitters " and all the results on page one ( didn't look any further ) gave me results from Norwich which I think is where BT Yahoo thinks, wrongly, that I am. Still no option on the page to select" Pages From. "

TBH I'm more confused than ever so I think I'll go away, sulk and watch TV.....

Thanks for you help.
AO Silver Member

OK, found the answer...
1. In Firefox, go to Settings, then Privacy, then about half way down is a button to Show Cookies. Click on that.

2. Scroll down through that list until you find google.com. DELETE that one, but just that one.

3. Shut down Firefox and go back in again

4. Type about:config (no spaces) into the address bar of Firefox. You'll get a warning about dragons, but click that you promise to be careful.

5. In the Search bar that now appears above the list, type: en-US (again no spaces). For each line that it brings back, double click on the line and change it to en-GB (no spaces)

6. Search again, this time for Keyword. Click on Keyword.URL and change it to: Google

7. Close down Firefox and restart.

OK, you probably don't need to do steps 4-7, but that's the belt & braces approach. Steps 1-3 will cure the problem most of the times it happens.

Find me on flickr: PSJ_Picdump
My comments are just my words - it's your mind that finds the meaning you want to find.
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 23-11-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Getting a bit complicated now !

Just done searches using IE with the Bing Engine and seem to be getting mostly if not all UK results.

Repeated same Searches using FF and Google and very similar if not identical results.

The only problem seems to lack of the function to select, on the initial results page the " Pages From " which always seemed to be there in the past, well mostly anyway !

So is it a Browser problem or have Google et al just changed the way the page is displayed ?

If so how do I tell the Search Engine that I want a World Wide Search ( for info ) or just a UK Search ? ( for shopping. )

Last edited by Nige005; 23-11-12 at 15:36.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Is it simply because of the new thing about pages not being allowed to use cookies without you specifically allowing it? If Google doesn't have a cookie set for you, it doesn't know you're UK, so gives you the international pages and results instead.
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 23-11-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Is it simply because of the new thing about pages not being allowed to use cookies without you specifically allowing it? If Google doesn't have a cookie set for you, it doesn't know you're UK, so gives you the international pages and results instead.
Yet again, I dunno bazza.

I think this query is getting a bit more complicated than I envisaged.

All I really want is the option that used to be there on the initial results page on the left hand side about halfway down that said select " Pages From ," - Worldwide or UK pages only.

There are times that I want to see results from anywhere and everywhere and other times, when shopping for instance, that I want to see results from UK only. I used to be able to do this but now seemingly can't.

Done a bit more research and it seems that Google is using my IP address and seems to think I'm in Norwich, not ideal. Can't see an easy way of changing this and in any case it would not help in what I perceive to be the problem. In fact setting a physical location could make things more restrictive.

By the way, I don't use the Google Tool Bar so I suspect that there are some aspects of Google that I can't change without this, which I really don't want.

For instance, lets say I want info about my Alfetta, lots of good sites scattered around the World. Will I now have to trawl through all the UK based pages before finding sites such as the USA Alfa BB ? ( Obviously I have lots of these bookmarked but you can see what I mean regarding finding info. )

Thanks for all your help and suggestions folk, I'm going to pack it in for today and will return for more head scratching tomorrow, must be a glutton for punishment !

Cheers,

Nige.
AO Silver Member

Um, did you try steps 1-3 that I suggested?
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
I don't use Google, I use Yahoo, but to get UK-relevant results I just add UK in the search box.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Focus 1.6 Diesel

Nige,

On the link you sent - click on 'Search Tools' (next to Web - Images - Maps - Shopping - More)

Then click 'The Web' - and from there you can select UK only.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 24-11-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Um, did you try steps 1-3 that I suggested?

Yep, I did that but all the same, i.e., there is no text on the left hand side of the results page that allows me to select Worldwide OR UK only so put things back as they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andye159 View Post
Nige,

On the link you sent - click on 'Search Tools' (next to Web - Images - Maps - Shopping - More)

Then click 'The Web' - and from there you can select UK only.

Found that Andy and had a little play around.

Seems to be that this is the new way that Google are doing it. Rather than have the option on the results page you have to dig a bit deeper. Wish these Web Designers would leave things alone as I'm easily confused !

Anyway I s'pose I'll have to get used to the way it is.

Thanks to everyone who provided help and advice, much appreciated.

Nige.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
google , search

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page