So, Virgin have upgraded my 'hub'.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 17-11-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
So, Virgin have upgraded my 'hub'....

I wasn't very happy with the actual download/upload results I was getting (and paying for) - so I contacted Virgin and they advised that a man should come out anyway and swap my modem and router for their new Superhub box. Apparently I should get up to 60Mb download speed instead of the 7 or so I was muddling along with.

Anyhoo.....the bloke came today....nice fella, but rather stumped by Ubuntu.

I'm now getting 27Mb download. He reckoned my wireless card might be the bottleneck.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Most wireless cards (even the cheap ones) have a maximum download speed of 54mbs. Doubt it's your card, just another exaggerated claim from a bb provider.

BT say we should get 8mb download speeds but best we've had is 2.5
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 17-11-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Nice one - thanks.

The upgrade was free, so I'm not complaining....and things are moving more quickly than ever.

Just got to nudge my xbox in the direction of the new local network trying to remember how I set that up.
mudhut

Not good, Virgin, and I'd dump them if I could.

I just had a new Virgin wireless router hub (the big, vertical, ugly, black Netgear made thing with the intense flashing blue light) for my internet only service that I pay 27.50 a month for. No instruction manual left and I wasn't there when the installer called. Mobile phones drop out regularly on it so much so that my daughter was connecting via next door's open system before I reinstalled my own Netgear unit for wireless use, relegating Virgin's offering to use as a cable modem only.

Think I'm paying for the 60 Mbit/sec "large" broadband service (not really sure any more) but can only get 10 Mbit/sec download speed and one tenth of that on upload. Service is laggy and reminds me of the old days of modems where the contention ratio was so poor that it looked like the modems weren't working.

I really hate Virgin.

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
You guys checked your download speeds on Ethernet?

Don't knock virgin til you rule out your wireless networks, speed deteriorates pretty quickly the further you get from the base station and there's so much interference in the none N bandwidths you can't accurately measure speeds anyway.

Even 10 feet away from a base station can give poor signal strength if you aren't within the antennas signal pattern. This is entirely down to the types of antenna used...

This page has some good info about this.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/aerials.html

Speed reductions are generally because data packets need to be resent regularly.

Hope it helps

Sean

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
27.50/month for Internet access sounds like daylight robbery to me!
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 18-11-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Well, so far so quite good.
EddieGTA

I agree with Sean, even 10ft from the router in the same room my connection is not quite as good as on ethernet cable.

If it is really bad it is also worth changing the channel your wireless network uses. There is so much around now it can be easy to clash with a neighbour. I have had this twice.

keithyboy

On a cable, I can get 20mb with absolutely no bother at all. Through the wireless it's usually more like 10.

mudhut

My desktop connects using cat6 wiring, Laptop through wireless - no discernable difference in speed.

27.50 for broadband only but cheaper if I take the phone service. The internet is so bad, I'm not going to have the phone from them too.

Sorry SiF, it's your thread. No more hijack.

SCGT

Sisters BT line screwed up and internet was a hit amd miss so after half hour on the phone to India we established that the BT socket on the wall was faulty. They want 99 for a guy to come out to replace....Always thought if you rented maintenance was covered ..??? (line rental)....does not include the socket on the wall ?

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
My old PC has got loads of running issues so slow as anything, but I got my Virgin hub upgraded to 30mb & I'm getting 27mb download speed, so it's just my pc that is rubbish. Laptop works better
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
...the bloke came today....nice fella, but rather stumped by Ubuntu.
Yeah, I get that a lot.

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGT View Post
Sisters BT line screwed up and internet was a hit amd miss so after half hour on the phone to India we established that the BT socket on the wall was faulty. They want 99 for a guy to come out to replace....Always thought if you rented maintenance was covered ..??? (line rental)....does not include the socket on the wall ?
The socket is normally BT's property, unless for some reason the original BT socket has been replaced by the user, or the user has damaged BT's socket, I think they should pay for a new one?

Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
The socket is normally BT's property, unless for some reason the original BT socket has been replaced by the user, or the user has damaged BT's socket, I think they should pay for a new one?
Yep, the master socket is BT property and it is actually illegal to tamper with it. However, if BT turn up and decide there is anything in your house at all that could possibly be the problem, they charge you for any and all investigative work they do. Extension lines, old Ethernet cables, old routers, old phones. All are possible causes of interference and BT will blame you and charge. They are horrid people. I've had to deal with them a few times. Never pleasant!

That said, the speed test you use has a big effect on speed registered. My house runs on powerline adapters and wireless only.
My talk talk fibre connection should be good for up to 40meg. In reality using speed test.net I get 25-30 on powerline Ethernet and 20 on wireless. On talktalk a own speed test I get 35+ on powerline and 25-28 on wireless. Not all speed tests test in the same way. Any faster that 5 meg stable will stream HD video. Any more than that is overkill. I previously has a peak of 2.2meg pre fibre.

AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Focus 1.6 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
You guys checked your download speeds on Ethernet?

Don't knock virgin til you rule out your wireless networks, speed deteriorates pretty quickly the further you get from the base station and there's so much interference in the none N bandwidths you can't accurately measure speeds anyway.

Even 10 feet away from a base station can give poor signal strength if you aren't within the antennas signal pattern. This is entirely down to the types of antenna used...

This page has some good info about this.

DrayTek Wireless LAN Aerials

Speed reductions are generally because data packets need to be resent regularly.

Hope it helps

Sean
+1 to this. Try plugging the machine into the router directly, rather than using the wireless card, and run the test again, see what you get. It's not uncommon to lose half your connection speed just by being on the wireless.

As GhostyDog says, lots of interference is possible, also depends on your distance from the router.

Best of luck!
(Post Link) post #17 of 18 Old 25-11-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I'll live with what I get on wireless (26mb or so) as there is no way that the missus could tolerate the "illuminations".

Why does it have to be lit like a Christmas Tree FFS?
(Post Link) post #18 of 18 Old 25-11-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Actually, why don't I just tape it up?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
hub , upgraded , virgin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page