Firefox Help. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 08-09-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Firefox Help.

Morning clever people !

Browsing on my PC seems to be slowing down although my Download speed is much the same as always - a fantastic two and a bit mbs. Seem to think that the whole PC is running slower too but this may just be my perception.

So, would clearing the cache help ?

How about deleting the cookies ?

How about deleting the history ?

Currently the cache is using about 650mb, think I have the max setting at 1024.

I know how to do these things, I think, but am inclined to think that doing these things would not really help.

You clever lot however may know different so if you have any advice it would be nice to hear it.

Running XP, please don't laugh !

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! - TBA

email: [email protected]

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.

Last edited by Nige005; 08-09-12 at 06:16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
I'm sure one of the IT experts will be able to sort you out shortly Nige, some smart folk on this here site? Binned our pu' with it's XP system, and it's now used more or less just as a word processor, print linked machine.

Good luck, Nige, however 7 is much better imho than XP ever was? Roll on 8.:

PS. Just had a great few days up your way at Thoresby Hall, what a place that is to relax, apart from the nightly ghosts howling?
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 08-09-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Morning Zed, another early bird ! Been up and sort of about since 03 30, insomnia is a lot of fun.........

I quite like XP and it's fairly new to me here, until just a few months ago I was still using 2000 until I got this " new " machine. When I first started using it the whole PC seemed much faster than the old one but it appears, to me, to be slower all round now but as I said this could just be a matter of perception. I'm sure that some kind expert will be along to advise.

I almost deleted all the items I listed about an hour ago but then I remembered that previously I'd done similar things in the past and then spent several hours trying to get things working again. This time I'm being cautious and asking first, a man has to know his limitations !

Never been to Thoresby Hall so I don't know about any ghosts other than are in this machine ! Then again it took me years of living here before I went up Boston Stump, an exercise I will not be repeating. Must pack in the cigs, a climb up Kantara Castle in Northern Cyprus earlier this year really reinforced this !
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Download CCleaner. Run it. Cleans up cache and temp files.

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Then go t the start menu -> accessories -> system tools -> disk cleanup.

Run it to clean up the crud of temp files that windows builds up.

Assuming you have a hard disk and not SSD - defrag the hard disk.

start menu -> accessories -> system tools -> defrag
(Post Link) post #5 of 20 Old 08-09-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th_Idiot View Post
Download CCleaner. Run it. Cleans up cache and temp files.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Then go t the start menu -> accessories -> system tools -> disk cleanup.

Run it to clean up the crud of temp files that windows builds up.

Assuming you have a hard disk and not SSD - defrag the hard disk.

start menu -> accessories -> system tools -> defrag

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I'm always been a bit wary of downloading and running clean up apps so are you pretty sure that this one is safe ?

Meanwhile I'll do the HD clean ups, forgot about them !
AO Member

County: Glasgow

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Some thoughts after fixing similar issue at the in laws

- How much memory does your pc have? You can get slow down if you are running low...depends how many other progs you have running in background. In their case updates to Firefox, Skype and few others all added up to more than memory in the box so the slowdown was disk thrashing as it moved memory to disk and back. a 20 quid mem upgrade and a 'new' pc experience
- if your download speed seems poor, are you on ADSL? Do you leave your modem on overnight, worth leaving it online for few days to settle with exchange. Their connection went from rotten to almost usable after two days.

Also xp does tend to slow down as it ages, win 7 hasn't been so bad for this in my experience. A backup of important data then reinstall might well sort it...but know that's a nightmare to do.
(Post Link) post #7 of 20 Old 08-09-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlecharm View Post
Some thoughts after fixing similar issue at the in laws

- How much memory does your pc have? You can get slow down if you are running low...depends how many other progs you have running in background. In their case updates to Firefox, Skype and few others all added up to more than memory in the box so the slowdown was disk thrashing as it moved memory to disk and back. a 20 quid mem upgrade and a 'new' pc experience
- if your download speed seems poor, are you on ADSL? Do you leave your modem on overnight, worth leaving it online for few days to settle with exchange. Their connection went from rotten to almost usable after two days.

Also xp does tend to slow down as it ages, win 7 hasn't been so bad for this in my experience. A backup of important data then reinstall might well sort it...but know that's a nightmare to do.

Thank you.

I have 1.2Gb of Ram so I think I should be OK on that score. However the HD does seem more " active " than it used to be, a symptom I had with my last ancient PC. As far as I know not too much running all the time other than Skype.

Just done a HD analysis and it reports that defrag is not required, shame as that would have been a quick fix.

Yes I am on ADSL with BT Home Hub 2, stuck with HH2 as it is the latest BT Hub that supports my BB 'phone, I think that BT would like to get rid of this facility, it's no longer offered by BT, but it's one I use a fair bit with family members living overseas. It's also cheaper to use for UK calls in peak times.

The Router is NEVER switched off and I've spent hours of my life talking to BT in various locations from India to London and Newcastle On Tyne ! Upshot is that I will not get any faster service until they upgrade the local Exchange, their site says that the FTC upgrade will take place in 2013, then again it says that for ALL the exchanges that haven't yet been upgraded so I'm not holding my breath.........

Currently running at about 2.2mbs, oddly for about six Months a while back I was getting a nice reliable 2.9mbs then it all went wrong - again. When I replaced the old Router with the HH2 I was at about 3.2mbs for a glorious day and then.........

Waffling on a bit here, sorry. I have to live with the BB speed that I get, nothing to be done about it but I would like to speed up the PC itself, does seem slower than it was.
CobolMan

CCleaner is fine, I use it on Mrs C's W7 laptop.

(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 08-09-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobolMan View Post
That's reassuring, I'll give it a go this afternoon.
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobolMan View Post
I'll vouch for it as well, weapon of choice for a quick and easy clear out.
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
What anti virus are you using? A lot use up resources that they don't really need to use.
You said you are with BT, they give you mcafee for free with certain options but I took it off all our pcs as it was slowing them down too much. Would recommend Microsoft security essentials, it's free and light weight.

If you can stick a bit more ram in I would, think you would see a noticeable difference.
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 08-09-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by spx View Post
What anti virus are you using? A lot use up resources that they don't really need to use.
You said you are with BT, they give you mcafee for free with certain options but I took it off all our pcs as it was slowing them down too much. Would recommend Microsoft security essentials, it's free and light weight.

If you can stick a bit more ram in I would, think you would see a noticeable difference.

Thanks for your help. Using AVG with the Linkscan feature disabled as I found that this really did slow things down.

Extra RAM sounds like a good idea, I may well look into this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 20 Old 08-09-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Thanks everyone.

Just run the CCCleaner thing and it seems to work well, things seem a little faster and smoother and the HD isn't clicking away as much so I think it was a good move to do it.

As always there are unintended consequences - it emptied the " Most Visited " tab. So I'm clicking away building that up again !

Thanks again everyone, your help, suggestions and advice are much appreciated.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

I use CCleaner at work and at home. Never had an issue. The registry clean up function is also useful. Let's you back the registry up first.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
Id also check what startup progs you have and disable any you dont need. Ccleaner will show you and allow you to disable / delete.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Thanks everyone.

Just run the CCCleaner thing and it seems to work well, things seem a little faster and smoother and the HD isn't clicking away as much so I think it was a good move to do it.

As always there are unintended consequences - it emptied the " Most Visited " tab. So I'm clicking away building that up again !

Thanks again everyone, your help, suggestions and advice are much appreciated.
Do the disk cleanup from system tools as well. It's not the same as defrag and cleans out more temp files than CCleaner alone.
(Post Link) post #17 of 20 Old 09-09-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
I use CCleaner at work and at home. Never had an issue. The registry clean up function is also useful. Let's you back the registry up first.
I did all that and created a new Folder for the Registry back up although tbh not sure what I would ever do with them. If it all went pete tong I'd probably go back to a Restore Point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
Id also check what startup progs you have and disable any you dont need. Ccleaner will show you and allow you to disable / delete.
Thanks, I did do that too. The PC is noticeably faster although the browsing still isn't brilliant but better than it was.

Quote:
Do the disk cleanup from system tools as well. It's not the same as defrag and cleans out more temp files than CCleaner alone.
Seems like a good idea, I'll do that a bit later today.

Thanks again folks, you've all been brilliant.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Focus 1.6 Diesel

Definitely would also vouch for CCleaner, a very good product. It may be worth opening Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and sorting by memory usage, descending. It's usually the memory that causes these problems, and the 1.2GB you mention is fairly low by today's standards. If you have gathered bits and bobs over the years then it could be just a gradual slow-down, which is very common with XP.

Even though the defragger says it doesn't need running, do it anyway. Also the disk cleanup, as above. It's probably also struggling to 'page', perhaps because your disk is getting full. Paging is when the operating system 'borrows' a portion of the disk to use as additional, but slower, main memory. The amount of this so-called 'virtual memory' is handled by the operating system, and if there isn't enough free disk space, then the machine will slow as the machine is not able to use all the memory its applications require.

Andy
(Post Link) post #19 of 20 Old 09-09-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Thanks Andy, more good advice there.

Think I'll get off the internet in a tic and do the disk clean up etc.
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 13-09-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Just an update on possible unforeseen consequences again...

Today I tried to download my Utility Bills from BG, two PDF's using Acrobat. A warning came up that there was an error on the page and that it might not display correctly, contact author etc. Sure enough they didn't, lots of errors on page 1's, page 2's seemed OK. Went back and downloaded an older statement which worked fine the first time around, didn't this time.....

Went to Ninite and Downloaded Adobe Reader again ( without deleting existing program which I believe was up to date anyway ) and assumed that it would modify existing program and/or fix any errors. No difference, same problem.

Feeling a bit hacked off by now I went back to Ninite and downloaded the Foxit Reader, this works fine.

I just wonder if all the actions I did last week has screwed something up, I don't really know as it is weeks since since I've used Adobe so maybe something occurred way before this.

I suppose that I really should uninstall Adobe completely and then reinstall but frankly right know I can't be assed, especially as Foxit seems to do all that I need. Also I'm confused about which of the four bits of Adobe listed on the Install/Uninstall page I should uninstall anyway, one of which says it can't be removed anyway.....

I just love messing with PC's. I regard then as just tools, like a screwdriver, fine when they work but I hate having to mess about with them.

Anyway, onwards and upwards and thanks again to all who contributed to this Thread.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
firefox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page