Have I made broadband mistake? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 11-08-12 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Have I made broadband mistake?

We live in a remote country lane. Our telephone, hence broadband line leaves the house and goes to an overhead telegraph pole and thence (I assume) to a cabinet in the street which, in turn, connects to the exchange. We are with BT and the best broadband speed I can get runs at 1.5 whatever the thing, mbs? is.

So - I got a call from BT saying they have upgraded the exchange with fibre optics. If I sign up I will get 41 mbs. I did say fine - but you do realise I live in a rural lane with only copper wire? They said yes - if you didn't you would get 82 mbs.

OK - can you guarantee I will get 41mbs - yes.

So I have signed up for it - a new hub arrives next week and the engineer arrives the following Monday to set it all up. It will cost me £6.95 for the hub and my monthly payment remains the same.

My point? Have I missed something obvious as it all sounds too good to be true.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

BT are rolling out fibre broadband services to more and more cabinets each week (there's a rollout plan on the web somewhere if you Google it). Effectively, instead of using copper cables from the exchange to the cabinet they use fibre and the cabinet houses some equipment which then modulates and sends the signal the short distance to your house over the same two copper wires as you currently use.

Either you were paying a lot for broadband anyway, so no difference in switching to FTTC or BT have realised that the speed you were receiving was very low and they have upgraded your area and decided not to charge existing customers any more. Either way, if you're happy with what you're currently paying then it's nothing to worry about and definitely something to look forward to.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
+1

I keep thinking about changing away from BT as I am sure I could get it cheaper from another provider but dont trust it to be smooth
AO Silver Member

County: Stirling

Member car:

VW Passat RLine

My Dad got this upgrade last week. Was over at the weekend and done speed test and he has went from 4 to 41. He is very pleased with it. Only took the BT engineer a couple of hours, he also fixed a fault with the line aswell, previous engineer clipped one of the wires when they replaced the line a few years ago. Dad always complained of poor quality and sound of line but like I said he is very impressed with and well happy.
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4

Got mine put in last week, a unreliable 4 meg down 0.2 up to 40Mb down and 1Mb up. The Open reach bloke looked at my cabling coming into the house and asked me if I wanted it moving to a more sensible location (it used to terminate in a cupboard) apparently this should have been chargeable but the last jobs he had been on had gone faster than expected so he did it anyway!

Overall really happy with it and the service which make a change from BT!
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Got mine in May, but we're lucky and could get the BT Infinity 3 option which is FTTP (fibre right up to our house).

As I'm typing this I am getting 92 down and 14 up.

I am a happy bunny!

Last edited by Tirreni; 16-08-12 at 14:52.
AO Member

Im with squark squark its cheap and slow, it's ok when running but if anything goes wrong like recently you need the patience of a saint dealing with their overseas call centres. I'm thinking over going to BT fibre optic as they have some good deals on at the mo.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Alfa 33

Hi

With FTTC the important bit becomes the distance to the cabinet rather than to the exchange.

When we upgraded we went from 1 meg download on a good day to 38 meg download and 2 meg upload. Upgraded since then and getting about 44 meg download and 8 meg upload.

All the best

Keith
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I'm with Virgin and it takes me on average less than 5 minutes to download a 700MB full-size movie :smug:

One of the things I love about living in the south, fast broadband
(Post Link) post #11 of 33 Old 20-08-12 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
BT Infinity

It was done today - Blimey - they were telling the truth - speed test - download 41 upload 6.5.

I can now watch HD TV with no buffering - even if you move it on it picks up immediately. I also downloaded Avatar from iTunes in 25 minutes, it was the 5GB HD version and was available to watch after 3.

Totally impressed - anyone else been surprised to get it considering where they live

Last edited by PaulR; 20-08-12 at 18:56.
Durty dog

I changed from BT to Virgin, biggest mistake ever, only 9 months to go and then i can switch back to BT.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
I changed from BT to Virgin, biggest mistake ever, only 9 months to go and then i can switch back to BT.
Whats happened with them? I've been with them 3 years now and they've been perfect, not a single problem and very fast speeds on their cable network (ex-NTL). Not sure what their ADSL service is like however.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Virgin ADSL is junk. I live in a newish townhouse and the developers did not think about putting in cable and so were stuck with the phone line.

The cable in our old house was rock solid, so much that it never changed our IP address in 2 years!

Their routers are very buggy and they refused to admit there was a fault with them crashing. I managed to force on some firmware from another type of router which has made it work but the broadband speed is still pathetic.

Im going to try BT instead.
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Whats happened with them? I've been with them 3 years now and they've been perfect, not a single problem and very fast speeds on their cable network (ex-NTL). Not sure what their ADSL service is like however.
I have a wireless Xbox, no matter what i do it won't connect unless i run the Xbox through its own network testing fault diagnosis, i just hard wire now!

Rang virgin who said the problem is with Xbox live, rang Xbox who said ring Virgin as its there problem, getting the picture now

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirreni View Post
Got mine in May, but we're lucky and could get the BT Infinity 3 option which is FTTP (fibre right up to our house).

As I'm typing this I am getting 92 down and 14 up.

I am a happy bunny!

Finally got my iMac connected via ethernet, and now the downlaod is 104, and upload nudges 15.

I'm an even happier bunny!
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Just ordered a broadband package for my new house - a friend works for Virgin so got us a Mates Rates deal; 100Mb doan 10Mb up, XL TV and HD TiVo box plus a second HD box for another room, phone line with 24/7 free local/national/0870 calls. All for £49 a month.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
The old miser in me says 'bloody hell, £600 a year to watch
telly and play games '

*Walks off shaking head and muttering to self*

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
Just ordered a broadband package for my new house - a friend works for Virgin so got us a Mates Rates deal; 100Mb doan 10Mb up, XL TV and HD TiVo box plus a second HD box for another room, phone line with 24/7 free local/national/0870 calls. All for £49 a month.
I'm jealous, still on a flakey assed 4MB here
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Ive now cancelled Virgin ADSL.

Managed to get BT broadband for £5 a month and added hd TV box for another £5.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Still waiting on fttc at work no chance I'll get it at home.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Finally got my iMac connected via ethernet, and now the downlaod is 104, and upload nudges 15.

You're not on the Capel exchange then!

We were promised it last year.
I currently live 4.5km from the exchange and have the fastest internet in the centre of our village. It sometimes gets as high as 0.8.

The good news is that they have finally sorted out running the fibre to the cabinets, so I'll be about 300 metres from that. Then they have told us that they're going to put in a Mini DSLAM across the road from our house. If I get 5MB, I'll be happy.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Panda 100hp

We've got BT fibre-optic, too. Had it a good few months now.

76mbs download. Love it.
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

It's a bit slow, but I can deal with that.
2336212089.png
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Spotted on the BT web site yesterday that they are upping speeds on Infinity for free (except, I think, if you go from option 1 to 2), and that being one of the lucky few who has got FTTH it is possible to get "up to 160mbs download and 20mbs upload".

I'll have some of that I thought, and went for it, and BT did the necessary work at the exchange in the wee small hours this morning.

I now have around 310mbs and 18mbs!!!!

Speedtest shows a slightly slower speed - 296/19 (sorry, not got a screen shot of that one)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0687.jpg (100.0 KB, 11 views)

Tirreni

Alfa History: 145 1.7, GTV2.0, GTV 3.0 V6, Brera 2.4 JTDm

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
broadband , infinity , made , mistake

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page