Vista Product Key question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-12 Thread Starter
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Vista Product Key question

I've got a laptop I'm fixing that has a failed hard drive. Normally I'd stick a new disk in and use the key on the bottom of the laptop to reinstall vista and we're done.

My problem is that the product key sticker on the bottom has been rubbed blank.

I can't get the disk to boot at all to recover it. It has recovery disks that have been made. If I replace the HDD will the recovery disk work with a different hdd?

I've heard that the recovery discs spit the dummy if any hardware is different from when they were made.

Has anyone tried this or know how I can get a key. I know Microsoft won't play nice.

its all fun until something falls off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Unfortunately even if you got into windows the product key you will find wont match the key underneath anyway.

The key underneath only gets used when you reinstall a laptop. In the factory they are all cloned off a single image and if you cant re-activate this 'clone' product key.

This is a right con I think the way that they have stopped laminating the stickers and so they wear off very easily, you can just rub the code off

Your better and safer off buying a genuine Windows XP disk and licence for it.

The restore disk will work with another hard disk, it is the motherboard 'tattoo' that is used to verify machine type. I wouldn't do it though personally without a product key as I know a company in Rotherham that got fined 3700 for doing this.

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior
Spacecadet

Call Microsoft and explain the problem. They are remarkably helpful and will happily supply a new working code, or recover the original one for the computer for you, assuming the registration was filled in properly on first time set up of the computer.

However, of you are buying a new HDD, you can buy a OE version of windows 7 for about 60 if memory serves. Decend upgrade as especially on laptops it's less resource hungry.

SCGT

Hi...will PM one to you shortly..

(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-12 Thread Starter
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop_Matt View Post
Unfortunately even if you got into windows the product key you will find wont match the key underneath anyway.

The key underneath only gets used when you reinstall a laptop. In the factory they are all cloned off a single image and if you cant re-activate this 'clone' product key.

This is a right con I think the way that they have stopped laminating the stickers and so they wear off very easily, you can just rub the code off

Your better and safer off buying a genuine Windows XP disk and licence for it.

The restore disk will work with another hard disk, it is the motherboard 'tattoo' that is used to verify machine type. I wouldn't do it though personally without a product key as I know a company in Rotherham that got fined 3700 for doing this.
I had a but of a stupidity leak, i knew it was an OEM key but forgot i can't use it (hence the different key on the bottom). I thought you can replace everything with your licence except for your motherboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
Call Microsoft and explain the problem. They are remarkably helpful and will happily supply a new working code, or recover the original one for the computer for you, assuming the registration was filled in properly on first time set up of the computer.

However, of you are buying a new HDD, you can buy a OE version of windows 7 for about 60 if memory serves. Decend upgrade as especially on laptops it's less resource hungry.
Will give it a bash and see what i get. failing that it'll be a Win7 OEM as you suggested or maybe Ubuntu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGT View Post
Hi...will PM one to you shortly..
I thank you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
key , product , question , vista

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page