New laptop won't connect to internet - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 31-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Help New laptop won't connect to internet

This evening I collected a Dell laptop that I had ordered online from Sainsburys. Don't have wi-fi set up yet so plugged in the blue ethernet cable from my modem and expected to just be able to connect using Internet Explorer which is loaded on the laptop.

Not happening. As soon as I boot up I just get a box stating 'You are not connected' and inviting me to try again. If I do the same box just keeps re-appearing.

If I open IE I get the 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' box. If I then click on 'Diagnose connection problems' it very quickly tells me 'Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem'

It isn't a problem with my modem or cable as all is fine as soon as I plug the cable back into the little old netbook on which I'm typing this. Am I being simplistic in expecting it to work straight out of the box? Is there some set up step that I'm missing? The instructions are a sheet of paper with 5 diagrams so not much help there.

Any ideas gratefully received before I try to either get sense out of Dell or take it back to Sainsburys.

JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

It maybe that the modem does not provide the IP setup automatically and you will need to setup your new laptop with these same settings.
Firstly I would check to see what network setting you have on the old laptop. You should be able to bring up the network and sharing center from the control center. Then click on the local area network connection. Click first the details button, this will show you the connection details to your modem. I would write down the details so you can use them later in your other computer if required.
Next click on the Properties button. Highlight the ICP/IPv4 and ICP/IPv6 and click properties. This should show you if the connection is obtained automatically or if there is some setup there already.

If there is some setup there then write this down and you can then put this in the new laptop and it should connect

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Thanks Pascs - will try this later. Odd though, didn't have to do this when I first got the netbook
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

It could be that the network card isnt enabled on the new laptop. You should be able to see what network adapters are enabled in the Device Manager

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
connect , internet , laptop

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page