Avast warning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 28-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Avast warning

The latest Avast 'upgrade' attempts to install Google Chrome without asking for permssion. Fortunately on my PC the attempt was blocked by my firewall, but attempts are persisting so I'm abandoning Avast completely.

I really don't understand why software companies think it's acceptable to behave in this way. I won't be using their product again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Mine hasn't.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 29-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Definitely down to Avast - no question about it. Won't be using their product again.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Well I'm fully up to date.

I guess it might not have come up because I already have Chrome installed?

Surprised there wasn't a checkbox though for it - albeit one that might have defaulted to being checked.
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilzAlfa View Post
I really don't understand why software companies think it's acceptable to behave in this way. I won't be using their product again.
Because the product of theirs that you are using is free. You're getting the benefits of their coding, research, development, hosting etc but not contributing anything. Google will pay Avast a small amount when they get an installation as a result of their software. But Bazza is right, there is almost always a checkbox to opt out.

Anyway, Google Chrome is by far the fastest, most stable and least intrusive browser available for Windows.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
Anyway, Google Chrome is by far the fastest, most stable and least intrusive browser available for Windows.
Agreed, google chrome is being installed to protect you especially if you are still using IE!

Weve had a 2/3 drop in virus infections on the refurbs and reinstalls since installing Chrome and deleting all the IE shortcuts.

Its not always true that you pay for what you get with virus checkers though. Norton is absolutely appalling and im shocked at how they work; blocking your internet and removing your optical drive filters when you dont keep up with your subscription. Didnt they have a parent company writing virus's that only they knew how to remove?

I think Avast and AVG make their money from the business users and rely on recommendations from employees etc using the free versions.

If you have never seen norton or mcafee ever pick up a virus chances are it never will. AVG saves me every week as I back customers data up onto a raid server, picks anything dodgy up instantly.

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
When I did mine, I had to uncheck a box that said install google chrome.

Once that was done I have had no problems.
keithyboy

Can't say I noticed when I reinstalled it again after a fresh XP installation.

(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 31-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

The update I did was from within Avast and I really don't recall seeing a checkbox. I have a total aversion to companies trying to force browsers, toolbars and other associated stuff on to me.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
avast , warning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page