Domestic Air Con - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 27-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Domestic Air Con

Does anyone have air con in their house?

I'm not talking about a moveable temporary one, I mean a fixed wall mounted or integrated air con system?

We are just in the process of having our loft converted into a bedroom, with lots of windows in it - and due to a combination of lots of glass, and the totally over the top but mandatory insulation requirements of building regs - we expect it will be quite unpleasantly hot up there in the summer.

Looking online there seems to be loads of options for air con units (like they have in villas in spain/france etc) but always like a good personal recommendation.

The loft builders are happy to install something for us during the roof build - but they don't have any views on good units or bad units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Surely the huge amounts of insulation will make it less likely to be hot?
And high quality windows should make a lot of difference, especially if there's a lot of them.

Not that I'm saying air-con in addition is a bad idea!
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 27-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
I think the issue is that the heat in the house will always end up at the top and with good quality windows and loads of insulation it will be trapped up there. I think.

I know when we were dealing with the builders at the start they suggested only 1 rad up in the bedroom as "lofts are always hot"....

MrsDibnah needs the room to be at -10 degrees to sleep normally (no smutty jokes please)...
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

That's a good point actually. I wonder - when they do a loft conversion, do they remove the insulation below it?

I believe the major reason for lofts being hot though is simply that the outside surface of them is basically a great big heat sink for any sunlight. But I'm sure you're right about all the heat from the house rising too.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
We have a lage pedestal fan in the bedroom. Keeps me, the Mrs & the Pooch cool on the warmest evening.

We have a modern house with cavity wall insulation & good loft insulation. Helps a lot
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
Will the new windows open

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Just took one out of our house (one of the bedrooms used to be a server room.....long story). Noisy with very little cooling output.

Spend a little more and get a branded unit (Mitsubishi, Daiken, Panasonic). LG a slightly cheaper, and reasonable quality, but the money is taken up with a professional install.
Spacecadet

The higher you go in a house the hotter it gets, especially if it's well insulated. I'd suggest that step one should be to get 2 or 3 thermostatic extractor fans fitted to gable walls if possible. They constantly trickle air out and ramp up the extraction at a set temp. Also, if you do want AC, a mobile unit is very useful, and much less maintenance. Get builders to install a standard tumble dryer vent with an automatic air seal and then plug in a mobile AC unit as and when needed. We have this set up in main bedroom, for maybe two weeks a year, AC machine comes out of spare room, plugged in, connected to vent and cools the room a treat, when not needed, wheeled away. No huge condenser outside on the wall, no big evaporator on the bedroom wall. The one we have dropped the main bedroom temp from 31 to 20 in about an hour. It was all caused by having a bay window, curtains open, windows shut, doors shut in full sun almost all day! Over night the AC unit just hummed quietly every now and again to maintain the temp.

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

147 GTA

Your assumption is right, mine would hit 40C on a sunny day quite easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I believe the major reason for lofts being hot though is simply that the outside surface of them is basically a great big heat sink for any sunlight. But I'm sure you're right about all the heat from the house rising too.
This is the correct answer, my loft windows are tinted but still get very warm as well as the roof and the insulation just traps all the unwanted heat in making it like a greenhouse.

I have two one square metre windows that have been tinted and keeping them open with the blinds down the loft will hit 30C on a hot day with a regular fan going. With an air cooler this drops to 24C but at night or when it's raining it's not feasible to have windows open or even the air cooler switched on, so Andymac's solutions seem best to me, if only I had thought about it when my loft was being done
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
As long as you are aware some have quite a high energy usage, 4-7Kw.
Spacecadet

The lights go dim when mine kicks in at full tilt!

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
get one of the kids to be punkawallah
Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
get one of the kids to be punkawallah
Mine are too young, will start training when they hit 3.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
air , con , domestic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page