Pi anybody? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

mudhut

Pi anybody?

Who has one? What do you think of it? What have you done with it so far? What do you plan to do?

Mine arrived a week or so ago. Looks fine - works well but pretty slow on Linux although much better on RISC OS. I've had it running Linux (Raspian) through the TV but I can't get my head round Linux at all - hateful thing. And to think that I have cursed Microsoft!

Planning to use it in school with a small group of kids encourage programming and understanding of the hardware. Also to see if my Y10/11 pupils will be able to find the time to develop add-on PCBs to use in conjunction with their Systems & Control GCSE projects as opposed to the current use of PICs. All this is however at risk because for the sake of economy the Raspberry Pi foundation chose not to include VGA output and we (like most other schools I think) have so many VGA monitors. A really shortsighted decision if they really want to make the Pi platform accessible at low cost. So I have to find say another £100 for each monitor when another chip on the Pi PCB might have increased the cost by say a couple of quid.

Currently looking to buy a monitor for use at home with HDMI, DVI and VGA input to use with my PC and the Pi. Thinking a used Dell U2410 might fit the bill.

Last edited by mudhut; 26-07-12 at 20:33. Reason: out of control fingers on keyboard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
What is it

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Raspberry pi? I've got one on order, awaiting it in a couple of weeks, I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on it
CobolMan

I'm tempted, will make a bit of a change from a mainframe.
This is pretty impressive.

mudhut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
What is it
Where to start.

A very cheap computer to try to reverse the last 30 years' trend in schools towards using applications without understanding how the underlying hardware and programming works.

To encourage youngsters to "get their hands dirty" programming using a device that doesn't cost a fortune and cannot easily be "bricked" (except by electrical abuse).

To start to build up a body of computer scientists who can keep the country at the forefront of this area of technology.

To open up this kind of work to places where previously it was difficult on the grounds of power consumption and cost.

And loads of other stuff besides that I've omitted to mention.

Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte! Thay are rather devensive over their baby and a bit precious but then maybe that's to be expected.

PS - there's a French review of it on the web. I just love the way the presenter (who's hot as hell) refers to it as the "Raspberry Pee". I'll link if I can find it.

Last edited by mudhut; 26-07-12 at 21:53.

AO Rosso Alfa Member

Thanks Pete

AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT JTS

Got mine last week after a looong wait. So far, my son has started using it. Looks good.
Unregistered

County: Lancashire
A well timed thread

The Commodore 64 hit 30 this year and it was my first computer

I think the Pi is a great idea to encourage kids to learn hands on basics rather than plonk them in front of an all singing and dancing computer as a tool.

Kids with a Commodore 64
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Bah mines sat on my desk for the last week, not had time to play!

The lack of mpeg2 decoding in hardware is going to put a dampener on my plans but I think its got a place in my set ups. Need to get a new PSU built, but again no time to design the PCB.

Might stick andriod on it when they release ICS code.

GK
AO Gold Member

Garage
The Pi takes me right back to the early 80s when I first touched a computer - assembler on 6502

Not sure I have the patience to go back there now, but to learn how program it looks great. I would have bought one of these for my lad had they been around 10 years back when he was getting interested. He's now doing an Illustration degree - hey ho

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page