Virgin media V+HD Box and the internet - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 25-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
Hmmm Virgin media V+HD Box and the internet

I've spotted an ethernet port on the back of my virgin box and I'm wondering, if said cat5 cable is plugged from router to back of V+ box, can I access the internet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

CobolMan

I don't have one myself but from what I've read it sounds like the ethernet port isn't enabled.

(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 26-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobolMan View Post
I don't have one myself but from what I've read it sounds like the ethernet port isn't enabled.

I did a bit of digging on the internet and that's what information I also found
Durty dog

I have just had the Tivo installed, virgin installer said its for future technology as all virgin equipment is built for future proofing, it will work like the new internet capable tv's.

Edit: if you don't have a smart tv don't waste your money as the virgin equipment will be capable of the same in the near future.

(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 26-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
I have just had the Tivo installed, virgin installer said its for future technology as all virgin equipment is built for future proofing, it will work like the new internet capable tv's.

Edit: if you don't have a smart tv don't waste your money as the virgin equipment will be capable of the same in the near future.

Cheers mate
keithyboy

There are USB ports on the back too that are disabled. Crying shame as our box is nearly always full and there's a netbook with a broken screen hooked up to the telly that's nearly empty.

(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 26-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

I was all excited for a second thinking tv access of the internet was on the cards
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
There are USB ports on the back too that are disabled. Crying shame as our box is nearly always full and there's a netbook with a broken screen hooked up to the telly that's nearly empty.
On Tivo they are also disabled, its going to be for media add ons so you can view pictures through your box and tv. Tivo comes in 2 choices which are 1TB or 2TB, bit of a con but i got a good deal as they chucked in multi-room for free inc install.

Durty dog

Talking to my mate who installs sky, sky are really worried about the impact Virgin are having on them. most new housing developments come with cable and fibre optics installed and with a lot of councils introducing bye laws that state if you have cable you cannot have a satellite dish installed on new housing developments. Plus Murdoch isn't the governments favourite person and Richard Branson is one of 'Daves' mates.

Durty dog

Missed this out, my Tivo is plugged into the broadband, i now have over 20 apps to use inc you tube, ebay , i-players and various others, there is a lot more to come.

keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
Talking to my mate who installs sky, sky are really worried about the impact Virgin are having on them. most new housing developments come with cable and fibre optics installed and with a lot of councils introducing bye laws that state if you have cable you cannot have a satellite dish installed on new housing developments. Plus Murdoch isn't the governments favourite person and Richard Branson is one of 'Daves' mates.
Virgin have just upgraded my broadband to 20mb. If I went with Sky it would come via the knackered and overloaded phone exchange we have here and I'd struggle to get 1mb. It's not much of a choice.

Spacecadet

My estate has no cable, no fibre and no current roll out dates. I have talk talk for phone and Internet and their website said that fibre would be available in July 2011, I'm still waiting, it jumps back 2 months every time it gets close.

I'd live Virgin Media TV, but stuck on Sky+.

Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
My estate has no cable, no fibre and no current roll out dates. I have talk talk for phone and Internet and their website said that fibre would be available in July 2011, I'm still waiting, it jumps back 2 months every time it gets close.

Amazing how far behind some parts of the country are. My mum only lives 30 miles from me and can only have sky broadband but because they only have copper lines she only gets 2 mb.

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
50 year old copper phone lines designed for pulse dialing - yay!

Sound Korea get 100 meg broadband in with their gas and water...we are so behind!
VO2Max

Quote:

I'm surprised at that, Cambridge is a regional hub for Virgin. It must surely be on its way for you. How about conducting a straw poll of your neighbours and then approaching Virgin if the result is a resounding yes?

Spacecadet

The estate was half built when cable and wireless were doing the big install. The cable goes up to No 2 on the street and stops!

I've talked to Virgin, they said that they were not currently, nor did they have any plans to add to or extend the existing cable network on my area. However, if I wanted to pay for the groundwork, they would be happy to supply a quotation. I just for a laugh asked what kind of money that would involve. They said it'd be at least 10 grand, more if it's over about 20 metres. It's about 150 metres, do probably not going into that!

EddieGTA

Quote:
The estate was half built when cable and wireless were doing the big install. The cable goes up to No 2 on the street and stops!

I've talked to Virgin, they said that they were not currently, nor did they have any plans to add to or extend the existing cable network on my area. However, if I wanted to pay for the groundwork, they would be happy to supply a quotation. I just for a laugh asked what kind of money that would involve. They said it'd be at least 10 grand, more if it's over about 20 metres. It's about 150 metres, do probably not going into that!
Same in my area. Nothing has been added since it was first installed 20 odd years back. My flat was built new just after cable was installed in the area, it runs down the main road and has never been installed to our road which is a side street off it.

Spacecadet

A curiosity check on talk talks website has revealed my house can now get fibre optic broadband, and after a quick call to India, sorry, talk talk, I will be having my new Fibre Optic broadband router fitted on the 28th of August. 26 a month inc. line rental and base calls bundle. Yey!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
box , internet , media , virgin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page