My mac's busted :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 17-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
My mac's busted :(

i'm having some very odd internet problems.

Everything was working just fine on Saturday.

Sunday. Disaster.

I have a 2007 Macbook running the same Mac OS it was installed with. I've added nothing to this mac, and it's used for internet access only. It is just as it left the box.

I can access AO, but not the BBC, no MSN, not Hotmail, no search engines...pretty much all of my Bookmarks are not accessible. I use Safari, but managed to download Camino to see if it was a browser problem. What Safari can access, Camino can't, and pretty much vice versa...

I did all of the network diagnostics, which say my internet connection is fine. Hmm. My internet radio (in the kitchen) is working fine, bar refusing to pick up the BBC...since Sunday...hmm...

I can't work out if the problem is with BT (we had cable theft here at Easter), browser-based, or router based. I'm booked in with the Apple Genius guys, so we'll see what they say

Any thoughts?

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

CobolMan

What's odd is that you're getting different results using two browsers. Anyway, here are a few things to try.

Are you running as an administrator? If so, try creating a standard user and see what happens. I would recommend always using a standard user account for all activities on any home computer (of whichever flavour) and only ever use the admin account for software installs.

Try turning your router off and on, it's probably worthwhile checking for any firmware updates too.

Finally, have you spoken to your ISP? They may be having problems at their end.

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Restart your router, if that doesnt work, use opendns dns servers, enter them manually into your network config.

OpenDNS - Cloud Internet Security and DNS

If it starts working then your ISP is having DNS server issues, DNS is a service that resolves internet names into internet addresses and vice versa i.e. www.google.com = 209.85.175.99
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 18-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Guys -

thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'm happy to say that a dose of 'Overnightness' seems to have fixed the problem. I tried the Macbook again after I got home (not expecting much, to be honest) and the BBC home page loaded up lightning fast (good sign!) as did other pages. Tried Hotmail, loaded and opened fine, as has everything else I've tried. I think that the problem has gone - hurrah!

Tomorrow I will cancel the appointment I made with the Genius team; this will save me a trip to Reading that I so did not want to make on Saturday...I really want a weekend at home.

Thanks again though guys for your suggestions and replies It is appreciated!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
busted , mac

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page