Yammer - Anybody Use It? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 26-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Yammer - Anybody Use It?

As above really, anybody on here using it in business?

https://www.yammer.com/

Cheers

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

No, but it's along the lines of something we're trying to sort out for our business. Might be an idea for me to point our network boys in that direction to check it out
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 28-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Frank View Post
No, but it's along the lines of something we're trying to sort out for our business. Might be an idea for me to point our network boys in that direction to check it out
what are you're requirements?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

The requirements would be much wider than my own dept. Ghosty. But, from my point of view it would have to be able to handle 'Office' and 'Flash' files, be mega secure and able to route straight to our servers (don't ask me what type of servers they are,I have no idea). I work for Scotland's major education player, we have over 1000 staff doing everything from admin to web design and e-assessment developments, not to mention exam materials and certification.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Yes - but an internal only version I think.
(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 29-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Frank View Post
The requirements would be much wider than my own dept. Ghosty. But, from my point of view it would have to be able to handle 'Office' and 'Flash' files, be mega secure and able to route straight to our servers (don't ask me what type of servers they are,I have no idea). I work for Scotland's major education player, we have over 1000 staff doing everything from admin to web design and e-assessment developments, not to mention exam materials and certification.
You may end up on shrepoint, flash is pretty much going to be phased out as adobe have annunced its end of life date.

Flash Player for Mobile gets death notice, won't come to Jelly Bean | News | TechRadar

SharePoint isa great product, you can build alsorts of prductivity sites with it.

County: Surrey
So.... 3 years later -

Is this getting any more traction with anyone's employer organizations?

We retain our usual knee-trembly fears of anything cloud based so although we like the look of yammer for colaboration and sharing of info, we are concerned about user behaviour on it, and also the fact that you need to connect to Azure and could therefore be opening a route into our own network from the cloud.....
VO2Max

All I would say is, clouds normally rain.

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
All I would say is, clouds normally rain.
Deep, very deep. Grasshopper.

Last edited by Verbout; 25-08-15 at 15:40.
(Post Link) post #10 of 18 Old 25-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post
So.... 3 years later -

Is this getting any more traction with anyone's employer organizations?

We retain our usual knee-trembly fears of anything cloud based so although we like the look of yammer for colaboration and sharing of info, we are concerned about user behaviour on it, and also the fact that you need to connect to Azure and could therefore be opening a route into our own network from the cloud.....
I suppose it depends on it's suitability for the use case you have in mind against the local data security legislation.

The thing most talked about for global org's and data security in the cloud is data sovereignty, where the data is stored and who can access it, if data is stored in a country whose local laws give them sovereignty over any data stored in their country then they can gain access to that data.

This is especially interesting for org's wanting to share IP via the cloud.

For all this guff to be truly integrated on MS platforms you'd need to be using Azure AD Pro which has the necessary features to enable hybrid directory features like writeback (that are also required for self service password reset).

Cloud can be great, I've spent a lot of time using Azure in my previous employer over the past couple of years, it's great for global orgs because it allows much easier delivery of content and service geographically closer to the end users, hence improving performance.

With the release of Windows 10 you can also be totally cloud sufficient, this is because Windows 10 devices can be 'joined' to a Azure Domain, in the cloud, removing the need for on-premise domain controller entirely.

Lots of interesting stuff.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior

Last edited by GhostyDog; 25-08-15 at 14:04.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

We've got Yammer at work, but I don't use it. There's enough distractions without it. The HR types are pretty keen on it though.

We have people talking about cloud services, but we are also investing in our data centres.

County: Surrey
Our use case (proposed) for Yammer/Sharepoint integration is for multi-discipline/multi-geography deal teams to be able to share data and collaborate on specific transactions which they do today via endless email chains, normally with loads of attachments, which gets confusing in terms of versioning of attachments and is very hard for people to get into if they haven't been in on it from day one.

The idea is to use yammer to connect deal teams together, share single versions of info, invite and de-invite participants as the deal progresses and keep a logged audit trail of the deal process and content for future review in case of issues. So there will be IP on it, and there will be commercially sensitive stuff on it too.

All good reasonable stuff - but the first thing Microsoft are requesting to setup the yammer pilot for this is to stick a DNS entry into our firewalls to allow access to yammer on Azure, at which point our sec guys are screaming blue murder about opening up a pipe into an unknown network....

It falls on me to balance the pros and cons (I must find a desk one day that has a sign on it saying "the buck does NOT stop here....")

We have our own global secured network - and ideally I either need to find an alternative to yammer that will provide the above collaboration and integration with Sharepoint OR be able to run yammer on our own network (which apparently isn't possible according to MS).
(Post Link) post #13 of 18 Old 27-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post
Our use case (proposed) for Yammer/Sharepoint integration is for multi-discipline/multi-geography deal teams to be able to share data and collaborate on specific transactions which they do today via endless email chains, normally with loads of attachments, which gets confusing in terms of versioning of attachments and is very hard for people to get into if they haven't been in on it from day one.

The idea is to use yammer to connect deal teams together, share single versions of info, invite and de-invite participants as the deal progresses and keep a logged audit trail of the deal process and content for future review in case of issues. So there will be IP on it, and there will be commercially sensitive stuff on it too.

All good reasonable stuff - but the first thing Microsoft are requesting to setup the yammer pilot for this is to stick a DNS entry into our firewalls to allow access to yammer on Azure, at which point our sec guys are screaming blue murder about opening up a pipe into an unknown network....

It falls on me to balance the pros and cons (I must find a desk one day that has a sign on it saying "the buck does NOT stop here....")

We have our own global secured network - and ideally I either need to find an alternative to yammer that will provide the above collaboration and integration with Sharepoint OR be able to run yammer on our own network (which apparently isn't possible according to MS).
Why do you want Yammer? Sharepoint does what you want out of the box without the 'social' aspect, you can achieve fairly complex automated email based comms out of sharepoint using workflows and the data can be connected to outlook allowing for access anywhere anytime from an application people are used to.

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1714 View Post
We've got Yammer at work, but I don't use it. There's enough distractions without it. The HR types are pretty keen on it though.

We have people talking about cloud services, but we are also investing in our data centres.
Yes we have it at work and as you say, there are enough distractions without it.

I use it perhaps fortnightly and that is only because I receive an e-mail from the site telling me what is new.I log on, see that there is little that is relevant to me and within 3 minutes, I have logged off again.

Corporate announcements are made on our home intranet page, which I access daily.
VO2Max

As far as I can see, it's a case of Yammer-langer-ding-dong.

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Were all getting emails at work from MS about this for some reason.

IT have told us to proceed with caution for now.

I thought a 'Yammer' was someone from the black country :rubchin:
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Didn't Y.'Ammer do the music for Miami Vice?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > The Technology Section

Tags
yammer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page