Just realised the point of 'Album Artist' in iTunes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 23-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Just realised the point of 'Album Artist' in iTunes

For ages I've been irritated by the fact that if you're trying to listen to an album in its entirety & there are 'featured artists' (e.g. Bobby Womack feat. Lana Del Ray etc) they don't come up when playing on iPod or iPhone - each track with a different featured artist is filed in, effectively a different album

Just realised that this is what 'album artist' in the info is for (maybe I'm a bit thick and/or slow)

but previously I would change all 'artist' info to the main artist and switch the 'feat' to track title. Its easier and in a way neater to just put the main artist in 'album artist' to get your entire album under 1 roof.

Appologies if you all knew this already or don't give a monkey's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
I didn't

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
I hate it all and cannot be arsed with any of it

Software has evolved so much in the last 20 years, all of it without the benefit of a simple 'what it does'
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
For ages I've been irritated by the fact that if you're trying to listen to an album in its entirety & there are 'featured artists' (e.g. Bobby Womack feat. Lana Del Ray etc) they don't come up when playing on iPod or iPhone - each track with a different featured artist is filed in, effectively a different album

Just realised that this is what 'album artist' in the info is for (maybe I'm a bit thick and/or slow)

but previously I would change all 'artist' info to the main artist and switch the 'feat' to track title. Its easier and in a way neater to just put the main artist in 'album artist' to get your entire album under 1 roof.

Appologies if you all knew this already or don't give a monkey's

Yes this has irritated me too. Surely you should be able to make coverflow on the iPod work on album title rather than artist. Lots of my albums are by multiple artists, so it's a big problem.

The other thing I find irritating is the inability of iTunes to get the artworks correct. Even if it does get it right initially, it often messes it up later on all by itself. Since when has Christina Aguilera been a large male called Charlie Hines? OK so he has an album called Back to Basics, but surely the software can be clever enough to check the artist name as well as the album title? And you should see what they did to Dolly Parton
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 24-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilzAlfa View Post
Yes this has irritated me too. Surely you should be able to make coverflow on the iPod work on album title rather than artist. Lots of my albums are by multiple artists, so it's a big problem.

The other thing I find irritating is the inability of iTunes to get the artworks correct. Even if it does get it right initially, it often messes it up later on all by itself. Since when has Christina Aguilera been a large male called Charlie Hines? OK so he has an album called Back to Basics, but surely the software can be clever enough to check the artist name as well as the album title? And you should see what they did to Dolly Parton
Good points.
If an album is by multiple artists, I think you either choose an 'album artist' to insert in that field of the database or call it a 'compilation' in which case it gets filed in the folder of that name rather than in the folder of a particular 'artist'. But it's a PIA to have to make these tweaks. They really should sort it out! (although I'm not sure who 'they' are? Is this down to Apple and the software (I guess at least partly?) or down to the record company or whoever first inputs the track info to Gracenote database?)

I too have some very odd 'album artwork' appearing.
AO Silver Member

Ive always kept features on the title and artist/album artist as the main artist so I can search through either without having multiples of the same name. It's annoying how they come on Cd's and online, especially when they do all in caps lock.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilzAlfa View Post

Part of me wants to comment on why you might have Christina Aguilera and Dolly Parton tracks but then I figure I'd open myself up to similar ridicule if I admitted to some in my collection... I usually find people will like at least 1 album, really dislike an album and have one they can laugh at...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
album , artist , itunes , point , realised

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page