Recommend an ultra compact camera - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 12-06-12 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Recommend an ultra compact camera

I've given up on having any photography skill, so I want something that will take the best pictures possible used as a simple 'point and shoot'. It also needs to be as compact as possible, on the basis that we never take our current camera with us anywhere because it's too big - defeating the point somewhat.

Mrs Bazza's family are big fans of the Panasonic TZ range, any of those you'd recommend? TZ20 or 30 perhaps?

ON the other hand, purely on the basis of size, the Canon IXUS 230, 240 or 500 look very good.

Cheers in advance.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
I think if I was going to buy a small camera as
my one and only or main camera then I would
buy an iphone.

Spacecadet

iPhone's good, but no use in low light.

I have a Panasonic TZ8, it rocks, my dad has a TX18, which rocks more. The 10, or 20, or 30 have the GPS that's all. Not worth the extra.

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
As one of bazza's requisites seems to be not having to
carry much I would go for the phone/camera as you only
have to carry one item.

There are lots of good compact cameras but you would also
have to carry your phone etc etc etc.

(Post Link) post #5 of 19 Old 12-06-12 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I did suggest to Mrs Bazza, when she queried whether now would be a good time to get one (wedding coming up) that she use her iPhone.

It takes excellent photos, I have to say - where it falls down is when you want to zoom, or when the light levels are low.

I did my own research, as needed to make a purchase pretty quickly. Ended up with the TZ30. Got it, a genuine case, and an 8Gb Sandisk Extreme SD card for £310 - including next morning delivery, and Panasonic have a £35 cashback deal on at the moment too.
Pretty pleased with that having read various reviews, and seen the picture results Cnet were getting using the auto mode.
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire
I have the TZ9 and I'm very pleased with it. Like you, I have long given up on any ambitions of photographic prowess , so the TZ9 fits the bill for me - excellent (x16) optical zoom, simple to use, pocket sized and the picture quality covers my ineptitude quite nicely .

Not the smallest camera, but I think the extra optical zoom is invaluable.

Good choice Bazza
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
For out and about snapping I have a Nikon S9100, it's been fantastic, has full HD video, the largest zoom in it's class (and it's usable with decent image stabilisation) and a useful set of special effects features, one of which I use a lot is the sweep panorama mode.

Picture quality generally good, widest angle is excellent for intimate shots although does bring a little lens aberration in but to be honest in most of my photos I compensate to take this into consideration.

It also has a very fast startup time, switch it on and your ready to shoot almost immediately. It feels good in the hand for a compact and build quality is very good.

I have had one fault which meant the camera had to go back to Nikon to service the lens mechanism but I think that may have been because I switched the camera on accidentally whilst taking it out of it's case and the lens extended whilst still in the case and it didn't like that at all.

There are compacts with better image quality, but as with all compacts there isn't one that does everything well, you will find that you will have to compromise on something, so I compromised on image quality (which to be honest is a tiny compromise when you look at group tests on sites like dpreview.com as they all use the same size sensor, it's the onboard image processing in most cases that lets camera's down) for the humongous zoom capability.

I do wish it would shoot in RAW though.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
I have a Canon Ixus 120is which I bought some time ago. It's very small, very light and easily fits in a pocket. It's by far the smallest camera I have ever owned, yet the picture quality is excellent, even in low light. Because it's so small, I'm far more inclined to take it with me when I go out. I can't imagine every buying a large camera again.
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Thread revival. We are looking for a decent compact for a decent price.

There is an offer on for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ9 for £156 with a memory card and case. As usual when buying any tech I got the reviews but can't seem to work out of this is a good deal or not. As was said earlier they all have a compromise but I'm not sure what I'm getting and what I'm not.

Can anyone help? Is this a decent camera or is there something better we should get?
Spacecadet

Recommend an ultra compact camera

I've got a lumix DMC TZ30. It's bigger, but image quality, battery life, usability etc are utterly awesome. Lumix make good cameras. Can't go wrong I reckon.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Lumix are great. I bought Clare a DMC-FS30 for her work travels & it's excellent
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
I still rate the S9100 and its bloody cheap now.
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Lumix are great. I bought Clare a DMC-FS30 for her work travels & it's excellent
I bought Mrs C one of these for Crimbo.
After much looking and trying various types we got this one, i cant help thinking i really choose this one because it has the same the initials as me.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I have a TZ8 and it is great in good light, not so great in low light.

I did have a Canon Ixus 220HS for a while which used the later type backside illuminated CMOS sensor.

It was significantly better in low light, but compared to a regular CCD sensor images in good light were pretty poor.

It really depends on what you need it for, as it appears there is a compromise to be made, although I would imagine the latest generation of backside illuminated Cmos sensor are better all rounders.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
90% of the pics I take nowadays are with my iPhone 4S. The results are perfectly acceptable, impressive even

I think the saying is the best camera is the one you always have with you.
spx
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I have a TZ8 and it is great in good light, not so great in low light.

I did have a Canon Ixus 220HS for a while which used the later type backside illuminated CMOS sensor.

It was significantly better in low light, but compared to a regular CCD sensor images in good light were pretty poor.

It really depends on what you need it for, as it appears there is a compromise to be made, although I would imagine the latest generation of backside illuminated Cmos sensor are better all rounders.
Basic point and shoot, mainly for family photos but most will probably be in poor lihting conditions, plus the odd scenic view.

You are loosing me in specs. This is the camera spec http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digit...specifications

I can make sense of computers but cameras are a bit new to me. No idea if this is good or not.
spx
AO Member

Also, thanks for all the feedback so far.
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage
I bought a Nikon 1 J3 yesterday. It's small and it came with 2 lenses. So far the pictures are amazing. I still have to learn how to use it
spx
AO Member

Really like the look of the nikon1 but it's out my £200 budget.

I'm asking for a lot for not very much I know.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
camera , compact , recommend , ultra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page