" Pay Pal " - Skype Phishing. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 30-05-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

" Pay Pal " - Skype Phishing.

Heads up for you all.

Just received an E Mail purporting to come from Paypal saying that I had authorised a payment for a subscription to call normal landline 'phones on Skype.

If I disputed this payment it invited me to click a Link to get my money back......... Needless to say I didn't.

I did check my Paypal account, no such payment in the list and I then tried to make a Skype call to a normal 'phone to see if I had acquired an account to call normal landlines, funnily enough it didn't work as I had no subscription.

The E Mail looked almost right but in the text it did not address me by my Paypal name and I have never seen a genuine Paypal message inviting me to dispute a payment by clicking a Link in the text.

Do be careful folks, the low life scum seem to be as industrious as ever.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! - TBA

email: [email protected]

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Thanks for that

County: Pennsylvania

Member car:

1987 Alfa Romeo

Thanks indeed and very interesting.

After using Skype for many years computer to computer, I bought a $10.00 cash subscription to call directly to land lines and cell phones. It worked very well and even saved me money over the local phone company (Verizon, boo booo...) who charges $0.10 per local call over and above the monthly dial tone fee.

I liked it so much that a few days later, I signed up for a rolling (cancel at any time) 3 months subscription @ $3.00 per month for unlimited calling US and Canada. When I logged into PayPal to make the payment, I was surprised to NOT be asked for my very secure password and was passed straight to "confirm payment". This bothered me enough at the time to consider changing my password as it appeared that Skype (Microsoft) somehow remembered or hacked my password.

I decided to wait and see if it automatically charges my PayPal account and if so THEN change my password and see how Skype reacts next 3 months payment due time.

The point is that I might have, in a moment of lunacy, clicked on such a message as described here.
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 03-06-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Glad it may have saved you some hassle.

Since receiving the E Mail ( which Hotmail removed immediately after I send the report ) I have been checking my Paypal account daily, just in case. I may be paranoid but.......... !!!

I have been thinking about a Skype Subscription for some time but so far I haven't done it. For my many Overseas calls I use an Internet 'phone with it's own unique number provided by BT. However no new Routers have this capability, BT are obviously trying to kill this facility, so sooner or later I'll have to go with the Skype idea, I'll just make sure that it's done carefully.

I do like Skype for the free Video Calls, a great facility, I just wonder how long before they start to charge for this. Right now I don't really understand the business model.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
If you receive an E mail from PayPal it always addresses you by your name. If it says "Dear PayPal user" it's not from PayPal its phishing or a scam of some sort.
Report to your mail provider straight away. It's the only way to fight back.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 03-06-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Double Six View Post
If you receive an E mail from PayPal it always addresses you by your name. If it says "Dear PayPal user" it's not from PayPal its phishing or a scam of some sort.
Report to your mail provider straight away. It's the only way to fight back.

Yep, that was one of two mistakes in the E Mail, the other one was that " Pay Pal " wasn't right, can't remember the detail but it was different to a proper one.

Other than these two mistakes and the BIG panel for the Link to claim your cash back it looked pretty good.

After a few Beers it would have been very easy to be enraged that Skype had done something you hadn't asked for and to follow the Link.

Maybe there's a lesson to be learnt here about Beer and Internet !

Member car:

1987 Alfa Romeo

Here is how I analyze Skype service. The marginal cost of the software is literally zero at this point and so Skype business gets a huge data base free with names (handles count since it is linked to your IP address in any case) and whatever other data one gives them voluntarily when one downloads the software. This database alone can generate an income flow sooner AND later.

The digital subscriber (phone) line (DSL) that is commonly available in the USA filters the lower high frequency phone signals generated by the software, your sound card and CPU along with the microphone and speakers or headset that you plug into the sound card, from the land line twisted copper pair (no fiber to the homes yet in most cases) plain old telephone service (POTS). So the user AND Skype get a free ride on the telephone and IP setup (I pay no more than $37 per months for DSL and basic dial tone---with no long distance---within the USA---service which I just purchase on a card at about $0.025 per minute; international calling can be had on these cards as well with varying rates).

So now here comes Skype and for almost zero extra expense to them, viz. Microsoft, they sell you switching to land lines and cell phones for a $36 per year fee (10's of millions of customers?) also at varying rates for in country and international. Also, an assigned Skype number will be given you for some more money per year and then land lines and cell phones can call you on your Skype computer account. How they arrange this with the phone companies probably varies from country to country. I admit that I also would like to know more about these arrangements and how they go about negotiating using the POTS switches, if indeed they do any negotiating. POTS are a public utility and regulated by individual State law in the US.

The word "bandwidth" has to come into play somewhere when talking computers; however I am thinking that Microsoft just uses local servers in each state and province (Canada) and pays whatever the business rate is for the phone hookup and off we go.

In any case, I am not being overly grateful, except in the global and philosophical sense, for cheap calling electronically via the WWW; modern life HAS to have some rewards for all the petty and tedious noise with which one has to put up to live the modern life.

Maybe I should stop here. The basic point I am making is that Skype just uses the already existing capacity and technology that is there for the using. People like to talk to each other; hip hip hooray.

What I don't understand is how the masses (in USA) afford the cell phone bills. I have a niece who does social work and her clients come in for assistance getting the lights and water turned on, etc., and the only bill that they pay is the cell phone and cable (television). I think $80 per month is a low middling average monthly bill. I can't afford it and work on hobby cars at the same time.

Last edited by Moon Mullins; 05-06-12 at 03:46.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 05-06-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Interesting analysis there.

I know that the normal LL 'Phone service here in the UK is different than it is in North America. I have a plan that gives me free weekend and evening calls within the UK and this package plus the Internet costs about 30 PM. Out of the evening and weekends free periods the cost of even a local call is very high, about 8 pence a minute to even call next door ! The BT " Soft Internet 'Phone " which goes through the Router and is in effect a normal 'phone, the PC is not required, is a bit cheaper for UK calls and a lot cheaper for international ones.

As I said before though it seems that BT no longer want to provide this service ( probably not making enough out of it ) and all the new Routers that they provide do not support this option. Sooner or later I'll run out of serviceable compatible Routers, at that point I can see a Skype subscription coming on.....

Not big on Mobiles here either, I only have a basic PAYG service and I bet I spend less than 20 a year on this as, like, you, I have cars to support !

Member car:

1987 Alfa Romeo

Interesting comparison indeed. "8 pence a minute to call next door"; that even beats greedy Verizon here on the East Coast USA. They just nick me for $0.10 per local call as I said and I am beating that with the Skype subscription.

Here is some technical data for your inspection. I am running a Pentium 4 CPU @ 2.8 GHz with 1.5 (nominal) GHz of system RAM. This seems just enough to run Skype with no problems as long as Windows or Firefox browser has not sucked up a lot of memory. If for some reason one or the other or both has commandeered too much memory and forced "caching to disk", i.e., writing to the hard drive as substitute for memory, just hang up, close running programs and reboot, then call back and everything is lovely. I just ran Windows Task Managers while speaking another person in another State (only 12 miles away as the crow flies) and it was smoothly oscillating between 6%-24% CPU usage as I transmitted and received (duplex; separate channels). It looked like a modified sine curve.

As for cell phones, I have been waiting them out and it seems like my time has come (I used first generation cell phone for business in the 1980's that was encased in a shoe box sized leather velcro secured case with a 9 inch antenna that swiveled up; this I was able to write off my taxes) since there are now 3 systems offering pay as you go, PAYG, service. The phones are available for purchase from $15-$50 and they look suspiciously like the ones they were selling for $200 with a 2 year contract only. They have cameras, etc. The plans run from 3 months @ $20 for 60 minutes which one can "double" by paying something or doing something etc. (I would like to strangle these marketing people for the confusion smoke screen that surrounds the plans; they would be better off simplifying things. It may be that confusing the masses is more profitable as I said; some people can't live without these things.) One has to use the minutes or lose them.

I will be investing in one of them for travel and private message use very soon.

One more note about cell phones; many US States have passed laws against cell phone usage and texting due to the many accidents that are traceable to using them while driving. People regularly ignore these laws and it is humorous to observe citizens (especially females) try and hide the fact that they are using the phones while driving. Mostly their erratic driving gives them away or their looking down at their laps at traffic signals. But leaning on one's arm while driving and trying to hide the phone is hilarious. Further, the police can and do check the time stamped phone calls with the service providers if there is a question as whether cell phone usage contributed to an accident with property damage or human injury.
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 07-06-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

My PC, recently upgraded but still old hat with a spec similar to yours, runs Skype very well even with a fairly low line speed of 2 - 2.5 Mbs. It's a great service for what it costs !

The Cell Phones in the US seem very odd to a Brit. I had a PAYG when I lived in Seattle for a few Months, it was tied to a network and not cheap. For a basic Clam Shell 'phone it cost me about USD 120 and I don't think that even included any air time. I was also amazed to find that minutes were deducted for incoming calls, seems they want it both ways.

I was in Hawaii a couple of years ago for a holiday and paid about USD 40 for a very basic 'phone with 200 minutes on board, I was surprised to see the minutes disappearing fast until I remembered that I was also being charged for incoming calls.

Here in the UK I have " Network Free " 'phones which work well for me. The one I use now is a Dual Sim machine, a cheap and nasty Chinese copy of a Blackbury, but it does the job OK. The reason I went for a Dual Sim is that the Mobile Number that I have had for years is on a fairly expensive provider so I use the second SIM on a cheaper provider to make most calls and leave my original one for incoming calls. Works well but does confuse people when I call using the second SIM and they see an unrecognised number !

I don't have a plan, just Top Up when I need to, either on line or by buying a voucher from almost any shop, very easy. My main number has no restrictions at all, just keeps running on and is not cancelled whether or not I use it. The other providers only stipulation is that I make or receive a call once in three Months. SIM free 'phones here are very cheap, starting at less than 10 and if, like me, you don't care about " image " that's the way to go. My current Chinese piece of carp is supposed to be all singing and dancing with MMS and Internet access but I tried sending a picture once and it didn't work, really disappointed - I don't think ! Never even tried to get on to the internet with it, just not interested !

The no 'phone using whilst driving has been in force here for a few years and a good thing too.Of course people still do it, even texting whilst driving but the penalties if caught are fairly stiff and it is an " absolute " offence, no excuses at all accepted and no warning, straight to a Fine of I think 60 and three points on your licence. ( 12 accumulated points put you back to wearing out your shoe leather for a few Months. )

You can use " Hands Free " technology so I can see why, if you must use the 'phone whilst driving, why no excuses are accepted, there is a cheap ish solution available and of course most newer Cars come with Bluetooth already installed.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I found this too late.

I received an email from Paypal recently, didn't think twice about it and hit the link (I know) and today I receive an email from Paypal regarding a transaction I never initiated. I've cancelled the card that was attached to the account, and raised the issue with Paypal who are investigating the matter. I've changed my passwords and security settings with Paypal and whilst in my account saw the 'new' delivery address and name of the little s*** that is trying to spend my hard earned.

My question is that this scam has obviously handed 'someone' my name, address and email address. On the face of it I can't see how anyone can do anything with this on it's own, but is there anything else I should do at this point security wise??
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Change the password on your email account as well?
Durty dog

change anything that uses that same password.

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sorted

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
pay pal , phishing , skype

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page