Wireless N router and talk talk? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

Spacecadet

Wireless N router and talk talk?

I have been sent a lovely new wireless N router by my phone company, talk talk. I installed it and it is no better in range or signal quality than the old G router. My iPhone 4s keeps losing it and reverting to 3G.
I can understand why though. My broadband speed is about 2Mb my 3G is about 3Mb/s

Also, recently got a love film subscription, used on my PS3 using a power line adaptor pair, occasionally the love film film just stops, starts caching and never restarts. Turning it off and on has no effect.
Is my broadband line knackered?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Try going to speedtest.net that will give you an idea of what download speed you're getting.
AO Member

County: Berkshire
Try a PC plugged directly into the router rather than using powerline/wireless to verify if problem is wireless/powerline or your phone line.

If it's still bad then try REMOVING the screws on the front plate of your BT master socket, pull the bottom of the plate off. This will disconnect your home extension wiring. Plug the router (with a microfilter) directly in the test socket behind the plate you just removed. If it works more reliably problem is probably your home wiring (search internet on "disconnect bell wire"). If it is still bad then report fault to Openreach via your ISP (Talk Talk). You can diagnose more by pulling off DSL statistics from the router (SNR, attenuation, LOS, LOF etc)

If plugging in a PC locally works better then try changing your wireless channel (by logging into the router). Also make sure the antenna on your router (if external) is pointing straight up and ideally away from other electrical kit. Try and get it a couple of metres off the ground too.

Hope this helps

Olly.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
Try going to speedtest.net that will give you an idea of what download speed you're getting.
Yep, very useful is that, but if you have an intermittent problem it doesn't always show up with a "point in time" test like speedtest. You're better off using a persistent ping to something on the internet.

Olly.
Spacecadet

Speed test days 51ms, 1.62 down and 0.36 up! It's pants I know! My phone point is by my front door, my PC is up stairs. I have no internal telephone wiring. I don't actually have a home telephone plugged in. Just an old wired telephone next to the point that I can plug in if needed.
I have a microfilter plugged in to the BT point, a grey wire going to my router in the garage through the wall.

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Spacecadet

Unfortunately, I can't get BT infinity, Virgin cable or any faster service than i have already! There is no cable TV here and no fibre optic availability! We are still stuck in the dark ages! This is central Peterborough. You have got to love BT and virgins lack of investment!

AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
Speed test days 51ms, 1.62 down and 0.36 up! It's pants I know! My phone point is by my front door, my PC is up stairs. I have no internal telephone wiring. I don't actually have a home telephone plugged in. Just an old wired telephone next to the point that I can plug in if needed.
I have a microfilter plugged in to the BT point, a grey wire going to my router in the garage through the wall.
Those figures, based on a 2mb feed to your line, are about right. I'm afraid that's the best you can hope for. PITA granted, but its better than some of the places here in Ireland, that can't even get 2G..
Spacecadet

The feed is quoted as "up to 10Mb"

The lines are tripe!

AO Member

Check what speed your neighbours are getting. Chances are you are on a long loop which means they will be too, but worth a check.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
I had trouble early on with some faulty microfilters dropping connection.

Are you linking to the router in the garage wirelessly or is that through the power cables? I know someone who could only use the powerline in part of the house because of the different ring sets in place.
Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I had trouble early on with some faulty microfilters dropping connection.

Are you linking to the router in the garage wirelessly or is that through the power cables? I know someone who could only use the powerline in part of the house because of the different ring sets in place.
I have a PS3 and my SKY HD anytime box in my lounge connected by powerline I think 80 Mb version. My laptop and iphone link wirelessly, and my PC is in an upstairs bedroom again through powerline. The speed test results are about the same from all devices, wirelessly or wired, the ping speed is a whisker faster on wireless.

The new router came with new microfilters, will change to the other new one and see if that helps.

The annoying bit is my estate was originally schedules for BT infinity so also talk talk fibre in 2010. Keeps being out back every 3 months.

AO Gold Member

Get up a petition with all your neighbours. Shame BT into upgrading your exchange.. :mygrin1:
Spacecadet

I've pulled out the shiny new talk talk router, plugged the old netgear one in and now getting between 2.5-3mbps. Stable and constant.
The Huawai one was clearly just crap!

AO Gold Member

A bit of a result then, but nowhere near your promised "up to 10mb".. I'd still join forces with the neighbours, and lobby the phone company... :mygrin1:
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
I have been sent a lovely new wireless N router by my phone company, talk talk. I installed it and it is no better in range or signal quality than the old G router. My iPhone 4s keeps losing it and reverting to 3G.
I can understand why though. My broadband speed is about 2Mb my 3G is about 3Mb/s

Also, recently got a love film subscription, used on my PS3 using a power line adaptor pair, occasionally the love film film just stops, starts caching and never restarts. Turning it off and on has no effect.
Is my broadband line knackered?
Quote:
I've pulled out the shiny new talk talk router, plugged the old netgear one in and now getting between 2.5-3mbps. Stable and constant.
The Huawai one was clearly just crap!
I see you figured out the problem - Talk Talk Free gifts aren't always as good as ones you choose yourself - if you want an N-rated one they're not so expensive - I was shocked to see them starting at under £30 here. I'm going to be replacing my stalwart Orange Livebox in the near future.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
router , talk , wireless

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page