A new laptop HDD and security questions... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 26-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
A new laptop HDD and security questions...

OK, so two questions...
1. My PC laptop has been acting up recently, namely it won't boot up, goes into repair mode, and then eventually (sometimes hours later) it works. I've tried a clean install, but to no avail. I've run full virus scans, and checked the disk, but nothing is showing up as a problem.
Because it's an intermittent problem, I suspect the drive, even though it's not showing up as an issue. So, my thought is that I should buy a new drive. Currently I have a WD 640GB Scorpio Blue, which came with the machine. Any recommendations for where I could buy a new drive of at least that size?

2. Two years ago I bought a 3PC/2year licence version of Kaspersky internet suite. It's now coming to the end so I've been looking around to change. I've now got a Mac to add to the hardware. My two top contenders are Trend Titanium (this will cover 3 PCs (1x Vista, 2x Win7), Mac and iPhone/iPad) and Bitdefender Sphere, which will cover all the computers, including a netbook that is just on windows defender, but not the iPhone/iPad - although I'm not too concerned about them. So, again, any recommendations, I want something that works well in the background without giving me pop-up ads, and don't mind paying, but don't want to be wasting money on unnecessary stuff.

Find me on flickr: PSJ_Picdump
My comments are just my words - it's your mind that finds the meaning you want to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
1. Have you got bios based disk testing on your laptop? If so have you tested the drive using it?

2. Stick with Kaspersky, decent software with decent support, I have a corporate discount code that will get you any of the following products for half price too.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac
Kaspersky Mobile Security 9
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

1) If you're looking for replacement drives there are a few places I'd look:
Scan - excellent support
Play (though not usually my first port of call for components I've gotten a 2.5" before for the PS3

but certainly worth testing the drive before replacing it.

I had a similar issue a long time ago. I think I changed the drive to fix it but I'm not certain and if you have the time to test it then it will save some money. Can you take the drive out and run tests from a desktop?

2) I've not paid for virus software since I ditched Norton 6 years ago and I've not had a virus since. I'm running Avast on XP Pro and have installed Avast or Avira on a number of machines over the last few years and, unless you frequent dodgy sites, shouldn't have any problems. I stopped using Avira on here because it does have an annoying pop-up, and AVG was too memory hungry on older machines. The only pop-up I get on Avast is when it updates (or fails to update when the wifi is off) so it's never intrusive. The Win 7 firewall is likely much better than the older built-in ones and I know a couple of people who haven't needed anything extra. I'm a Comodo man but that will pop up questions while it learns - it's intrusive early on but once it learns your programs it's virtually invisible - it also has a sandbox to run programs in it doesn't know (i.e. in a "safe from the rest" environment). Only issue I had was a single re-install of IE 64-bit on my XP Pro 64-bit machine because it kept creating a randomly named directory to expand it's install program into so kept sandboxing unnecessarily. Otherwise, only new stuff generates pop-ups. I've never needed AV support - any issues I've fixed on others' machines has been done with a web search or two.

I realise that the offer of a discount is to be helpful but I'm not sure Kaspersky would see it that way if they found out...
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post

I realise that the offer of a discount is to be helpful but I'm not sure Kaspersky would see it that way if they found out...
I'm sure they are not going to turn down the business...
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 27-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I'm sure they are not going to turn down the business...
They've offered me a reasonable discount to stick with them.

Have just updated the BIOS on the machine, but it doesn't have any disk check utility in it (unlike HP, etc). but I did run the Western Digital HD test (from within Windows) and even the extended check found nothing. Also, since the re-install, it's taking longer to boot up - I was hoping for a faster boot time.
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I think if you've done a complete reinstall of the OS and you still have the same problem then it may not be the drive.

Have you run a memory test? when i had a faulty memory stick on my desktop it caused all sorts of weird issues with the hard drive eventually causing data lose

You could also upgrade to a WD black series drive which have a faster spin speed and larger buffer size, assuming your old drive is a SATA drive
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
They've offered me a reasonable discount to stick with them.

Have just updated the BIOS on the machine, but it doesn't have any disk check utility in it (unlike HP, etc). but I did run the Western Digital HD test (from within Windows) and even the extended check found nothing. Also, since the re-install, it's taking longer to boot up - I was hoping for a faster boot time.
If you have reinstalled it from a recovery partition it will have restored all the boatware that comes with new laptops.

Go into the start menu and type msconfig then hit enter.

The window that opens shows all the boot options and programs that run at start up. Check the programs tab and services tabs and uncheck anything that you don't want to load at start up.

As a general rule don't uncheck any Microsoft services, your anti virus and synaptics drivers.

If you use any sync services like drop box that you want to start up leave them. If your not sure aboutsomething your safer to leave it running until you can find out what it is.

Lots of programs like adobe reader and iTunes load parts of the program at stay up. It makes them start up faster when you need them but slows your boot time. I'm rambling on again aren't I.

its all fun until something falls off.

(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 28-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I was smart enough to create my own recovery setup - bloatware off mode. But saying that, I haven't checked to confirm that it's stayed at my settings
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 30-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

OK, latest updates...
1. Have run memory scans - no issues.
2. Have run full AV scans using different products - no issues... BUT I had to re-install my Kaspersky as it managed to get a corrupt black list.

My suspicion is still that the issue is with the HDD. When Windows goes into recovery mode it seems to spend ages (6 hours yesterday) working on fixing the disk.
Time to order a new drive, I think.

On the other topic, I was in PCWorld (stop laughing, I went in to let the boss play with a new iPad), and they had Trend Titanium 5 user on at £39.95 for a year, so I bought that and will install it on the various machines as the licences expire.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
hdd , laptop , questions , security

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page