Streamers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 22-04-12 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Streamers

Does something like this:
Western Digital TV Live Streaming Media Player (WDBGXT0000NBK-UESN) - dabs.com

Also allow you to save stuff to the HD it's connected to - copying stuff from a Sky+ box for instance?

And if it doesn't, is there something similar that does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unregistered

County: Lancashire
Don't know about streaming but I've got a WD external hard drive it's very good stuff
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post

Also allow you to save stuff to the HD it's connected to - copying stuff from a Sky+ box for instance?

Not sure off-hand (would need to look into it further but suspect it would be more about getting software on the receiving box to save the stream. Having had a number of bad experiences with Dabs and their poor customer service I'd order from Scan... it's a whole 1p cheaper (think delivery may be £1 cheaper as well but not sure)

Scan link

They do offer others as well - you could e-mail them and they may be able to let you know? The staff there are certainly generally more knowledgeable.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Man View Post
Don't know about streaming but I've got a WD external hard drive it's very good stuff
Western Digital Hard Drives in my experience have the highest failure rate.
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Western Digital Hard Drives in my experience have the highest failure rate.
I've had two and both of them have been faultless
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

They used to have the highest failure rate, but then all HD companies have had low quality periods - I started with Maxtor and have most recently stuck with IBM/Hitachi/HGST for bare drives but had a 2.5" Western Digital or Seagate in the PS3 and a Samsung (limited options at the time) in my laptop.

I did see (recently) that there appear to only really be about 3 or 4 manufacturers now anyway (HGST have been bought by WD or Seagate iirc, and one of those own Maxtor anyway, but as part of the deal they have to sell stuff to Toshiba who want to enter the market). That said, the poorest quality ones I've found have been Fujitsu... not always failing, but fragmenting and suffering from major performance issues more frequently.
AO Platinum Member

WDs dont like heat soak, they are okay in a cooled case but the non cooled portable jobs are gash.

I only buy them for none mission critical stuff as part of raid arrays and the its the enterprise stuff with a 5 year warranty, ill say one thing, they have no quibbles about replacing drives when they do fail, and they will regardless of manufacturer.

Seagate on the other hand have appalling customer service.

Never buy a blackarmour nas, they are RUBBISH!!!!

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
... copying stuff from a Sky+ box for instance?

Unfortunately you can't just plug in a network cable or USB cable to transfer content from a Sky box. The programs are recorded in an encrypted file format anyway IIRC.
Unregistered

Quote:
WDs dont like heat soak, they are okay in a cooled case but the non cooled portable jobs are gash.

I only buy them for none mission critical stuff as part of raid arrays and the its the enterprise stuff with a 5 year warranty, ill say one thing, they have no quibbles about replacing drives when they do fail, and they will regardless of manufacturer.

Seagate on the other hand have appalling customer service.

Never buy a blackarmour nas, they are RUBBISH!!!!
How big a drive are you talking about mate, I've got a SE 1 TB cost me about £90 works fine as a big data storage device, it's only about half full but it's a domestic home bit of kit that works fine

BTW enjoy your fish and chips tomorra, I can't make NICN got a meet on my home patch
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Man View Post
How big a drive are you talking about mate, I've got a SE 1 TB cost me about £90 works fine as a big data storage device, it's only about half full but it's a domestic home bit of kit that works fine

BTW enjoy your fish and chips tomorra, I can't make NICN got a meet on my home patch
Cheers mate

Any drive can fail, they are very susceptible to shock, environmental factors and mechanical failure, they are a magento-mechanical device after all so will wear out over time.

If a hard drive is going to fail due to a defect it will generally speaking fail sooner rather than later, if it hasn't failed within the first month or so of use (dependent on how much use it gets) then it should be good for the long haul, but there are so many factors that it's probably best to read this article on wikipedia to get a good grounding in what you shouldn't do.

Hard-disk failure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As long as you have 2 good copies of your data you should be okay, I have only once ever suffered a cascade failure of both my primary storage and my backup storage concurrently and I lost a lot of data. I was very unlucky though, and I now have 2 backup drives, If I lost all my digital photos and videos of my life together with t'other half, that would be pretty devastating.

It's all about mitigating risk and the value of your data. If it's your pr0n collection well then it's not really a huge problem, there's plenty more out there on the web to download...

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Platinum Member

Quote:

And back on topic.

Not if your using HDMI as it is encrypted, however if you're Sky+ box has analogue outputs you can hook them up to a video digitiser plugged into your computer and then view and record on the fly whatever the analogue output is.

Video Capture - Turn analog into digital video

This probably breaches the terms of your contract with Sky though.

I fancy doing it anyway as I have the episode of Top Gear with the Alfa Romeo challenge on our box and I'm in the crowd at the concourse bit.
Unregistered

Quote:
Cheers mate

Any drive can fail, they are very susceptible to shock, environmental factors and mechanical failure, they are a magento-mechanical device after all so will wear out over time.

If a hard drive is going to fail due to a defect it will generally speaking fail sooner rather than later, if it hasn't failed within the first month or so of use (dependent on how much use it gets) then it should be good for the long haul, but there are so many factors that it's probably best to read this article on wikipedia to get a good grounding in what you shouldn't do.

Hard-disk failure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As long as you have 2 good copies of your data you should be okay, I have only once ever suffered a cascade failure of both my primary storage and my backup storage concurrently and I lost a lot of data. I was very unlucky though, and I now have 2 backup drives, If I lost all my digital photos and videos of my life together with t'other half, that would be pretty devastating.

It's all about mitigating risk and the value of your data. If it's your pr0n collection well then it's not really a huge problem, there's plenty more out there on the web to download...
Cheers mate, interesting read that

I'm backed up four ways, all the family photos and vids that are not on 35mm film and VHS are stored on photobucket with copies on a 320gb WD Passport the old drive and the new 1TB drive as a last resort I've used my old redundant laptop to store other stuff

It's a bit hard to manage because it's all on different drives but generally I can find stuff pretty easy

My work stuff is on the 1TB and it's about 10 years worth
(Post Link) post #13 of 17 Old 24-04-12 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Are those of you saying you aren't supposed to record from Sky+ sure of your facts?

Because when we first got the box (admittedly years ago) I remember there being a page in the manual about how to transfer stuff to a PVR or DVD-recorder.

And having a quick gander now, on the planner page which holds the stuff you have on the box itself, there is a 'copy' option.

I think perhaps only some premium content (box office maybe?) is encrypted.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Are those of you saying you aren't supposed to record from Sky+ sure of your facts?

Because when we first got the box (admittedly years ago) I remember there being a page in the manual about how to transfer stuff to a PVR or DVD-recorder.

And having a quick gander now, on the planner page which holds the stuff you have on the box itself, there is a 'copy' option.

Pretty much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky terms and conditions
9. Copying and Copyright
(a) You must not do (or allow to be done) any of the following:
(i) copy (except as permitted under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 ("Act"), as amended from time to time), redistribute or relay any of the Channels or any Additional TV Services or any part of them, or otherwise deal with the Channels or any Additional TV Services or any part of them other than as permitted by the Act. The exceptions in the Act are limited and you must make sure that you are legally entitled to rely on one of them; or
(ii) sell or make any charge for watching any Channel or any Additional TV Service or programme; or
(iii) show any Channel or any Additional TV Services in public to an audience, even if no charge is made.
(b) We may disable or alter remotely certain functions of your Box so as to prevent you from copying the Channels or any Additional TV Services and we may prevent you receiving the Service if your Box allows copying of any Channels or any Additional TV Services which we are bound by contract to prevent.
From Sky Terms and Conditions - Sky TV
(Post Link) post #15 of 17 Old 24-04-12 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

You've got to be wrong. It doesn't surprise me for terms and conditions to be set up more strict that the actual fact of things, to give them a lot of leverage in case of arguments.

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/export...1314843347.pdf

Page 37 describes how to copy any recording on the Sky+ to a DVD.
Page 17 shows that any programme for which this isn't possible will have a 'C' against in in the browser to denote 'copy protected'.

So the situation is as I suspected. As I said, my Sky+ has the option to copy programs clearly available.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:

Yes there's a Copy function & instructions on how to transfer content to DVD-R etc. to free up space. I'm sure normal copyright T&Cs still apply, not sure how much notice anyone takes of them though

My reference to encryption ( if you are referring to my post ) is only related to how the files are saved on the Sky box.

As you say though I do remember back in the day that Box Office content was encrypted ( Macro-vision IIRC ) & it couldn't be transferred to VHS straight from the Sky box.

Edit : Composed before seeing Bazza's post above.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I suspect it's like recording from TV anyway - you are (iirc) allowed to record a program but it is supposed to be wiped after it's been watched once. I wonder how many people really do that all the time?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
streamers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page