Business Cloud Storage - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 19-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Business Cloud Storage

Hi Techy Guys

I'm looking for advice, we have a Windows SBS 2011 server, used as a basic Exchange & file server, we also have a separate SQL server running windows 7 Pro, anyway we have an onsite network backup solution which takes care of itself.

I'd like to add in an extra level of backup possibly in the cloud so if worst case the office burnt down we'd have a copy restore.

Any advice on cloud storage would be appreciated.

Leigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Can't give much advice but depending on what your business is saving will restrict type options.

EU data protection laws say the information must stay in the UK.

http://m.itproportal.com/2012/03/16/...-my-data-live/

Keeps the FBI out, unless there is another reason i'm missing
(Post Link) post #3 of 21 Old 19-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks SPX thats very interesting, we are Letting Agents so its Client details etc, we are already registered in the UK with the Information Commissioner (Data Protection).

But i'll bear your comments in mind.
spx
AO Member

Spot the deliberate mistake EU laws mean it should stay in the EU. Not just the UK.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Your best bet (bit of an off the wall solution) would be to find another company who wants to do offsite backup, if you can come to a reciprocal agreement whereby they let you keep a computer on there site (with access to the internet) and vice versa, not only will you in complete control of your own backup system it will also be a hell of a lot cheaper. Obviously you'd need to ensure that the backup system was fully encrypted to fullfill your data protection requirements
(Post Link) post #6 of 21 Old 19-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

156Chris - thats an interesting idea, i suppose I could set a device up at home and do it that way. i've got a 30mb virgin cable connection.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLeigh View Post
156Chris - thats an interesting idea, i suppose I could set a device up at home and do it that way. i've got a 30mb virgin cable connection.
Its called a warm or hot site in business continuity, a site that you can migrate operations to and be almost instantly up and running.

For the size of business you have, personally id mitigate the risk entirely by migrating to office365 and use sharepoint as your collaborative workspace.

What do you use SQL for?

I'm having DeJa Vu
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Synology are a good place to start if you want more than just backup (including using it as your own cloud storage) but it may be overkill for what you need. It should be ok as backup but remember that if you need to access files you'll have a lower upload speed than 30mb lol. It can also do incremental backups and keep multiple versions (the software works on non-Synology devices I think)

It also depends how often you need to backup (and how much data) as you could just take an external drive backup each night (though I'm guessing it is too much for that or see software from Synology or others that do incremental and multi-version backups).
AO Platinum Member

Or not worry about backup at all and get on with running your business by using office365, leigh, the question you should ask yourself is.

Is mucking about with computer stuff a good use of your time?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

With reference to EU data protection law, where are the Microsoft servers located? If it's in Redmond then it wouldn't be a legally viable option. Just wondering (as I realise MS is big enough to have server storage in the EU as well but can't find any reference as to the location).

ok, just answered my own question... In December 2011, Microsoft launched Trust Center and announced that Office 365 now complies with EU privacy regulations.[6] (assuming EU privacy regulations encompass data protection anyway...)

Last edited by AmicusPro; 21-04-12 at 16:43. Reason: Answered own question!
spx
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
With reference to EU data protection law, where are the Microsoft servers located? If it's in Redmond then it wouldn't be a legally viable option. Just wondering (as I realise MS is big enough to have server storage in the EU as well but can't find any reference as to the location).

ok, just answered my own question... In December 2011, Microsoft launched Trust Center and announced that Office 365 now complies with EU privacy regulations.[6] (assuming EU privacy regulations encompass data protection anyway...)
Dublin I think
(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 21-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Its called a warm or hot site in business continuity, a site that you can migrate operations to and be almost instantly up and running.

For the size of business you have, personally id mitigate the risk entirely by migrating to office365 and use sharepoint as your collaborative workspace.

What do you use SQL for?

I'm having DeJa Vu
SQL is our property management software database we have an automatic daily backup built in at 11pm each night, i wanted to save an additional copy off site just incase.

We don't use word, excel to any major degree as all the docs are integrated with the prop mgt software, i'll take a closer look at office365. Thanks
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
SQL databases rant that big, so you easily do this I assume? An offsite network drive would do then job, with obvious SSL certificates etc...
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
SQL is our property management software database we have an automatic daily backup built in at 11pm each night, i wanted to save an additional copy off site just incase.

We don't use word, excel to any major degree as all the docs are integrated with the prop mgt software, i'll take a closer look at office365. Thanks

if it's just the SQL backup you want … at the end of each day pop it onto an encrypted memory stick and take it home!!! … or even (if the data is small enough) just email it!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
if it's just the SQL backup you want at the end of each day pop it onto an encrypted memory stick and take it home!!! or even (if the data is small enough) just email it!!!
E-mail only if encrypted... (I'm sure that's what you meant though)
AO Platinum Member

Quote:

Does the SQL database hold the configuration data for the software?
(Post Link) post #17 of 21 Old 22-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Does the SQL database hold the configuration data for the software?
Yes i'm almost certain it does, the software provider has setup up auto backups on the sql server and i additionally backup the backups to an external drive. Think i've sussed it, i've got two small 1tb drives and i'll just pop once in my bag and leave one in site.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Yes i'm almost certain it does, the software provider has setup up auto backups on the sql server and i additionally backup the backups to an external drive. Think i've sussed it, i've got two small 1tb drives and i'll just pop once in my bag and leave one in site.
Hi Leigh,

Can I pick your brain on this.

Did you continue with the 1TB drives on a daily exchange?

I am doing some work for a friend of mine and setting him up with an SBS 2011 server.

He also needs an SQL Db - the provider he is using is Dezrez - might that be the same as yours?

Do you use the built in backup service on SBS?

I notice you have your SQL on a Win7Pro PC - was this a better option over getting the premium add-on pack to SBS?

Cheers
Jack
AO Member

County: Shropshire
I've never liked the idea of "Cloud Storage".

I just dont like not having the "Physical access/Control" over my data, God knows who has access to the "server" at the other end......
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

I know this is a fairly old thread, but seeing as it's been bumped I'll chip in with our arrangements - in the office I work from.
The SBS machine has two hard drives which are mirrored in case one dies.
Automated instant full server sync to an on-site NAS, but housed in a different and more secure location to the server in case it gets nicked or there's a localised fire etc.
Once daily sync at 3am of more essential files (not server OS, just data) to our London office's server and the same from theirs to ours.
Once weekly backup to a portable USB drive which is kept off-site, usually in my car (yes, I know - but I keep forgetting to take it out of the glove box!).

I'm sure there are more automated ways of doing things but we've only got 12 staff in my office and less then 50 in total across the rest of the country & worldwide, but we do create a lot of data when on projects with freelancers etc.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Platinum Member

To be honest with the proliferation of free and good virtualisation software I'd be virtualising your single server and just backing up the Virtual Hard Drive, a Virtual Hard Drive can easily be attached and started on another virtual machine on another virtual host box because it's essentially a single file which is an image of the data that would normally reside on a physical hard drive.

That way you don't have to muck about with restoring data and to applications you've had to reinstall and reconfigure in the event of a critical failure.

It also helps come upgrade time, you take one of your backed up VHDs start it up on another VHost then perform and test the changes on a exact replica of your production environment without any risk to your business data or the availability of your services.

https://www.virtualbox.org/
http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphe.../overview.html

Or Microsoft, who seem to not want to bother talking in simple terms so have a look at this and bamboozle yourself at your own peril.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/serve...n/default.aspx

If anybody wants some consultancy around this give me a shout, I'm currently out of work and could do with something real to do.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior

Last edited by GhostyDog; 21-11-12 at 22:49.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
business , cloud , storage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page