LED TV's - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: -
Hmmm LED TV's

Been looking at them for a while now and seeing whats out there, I understand about edgelit and backlit, but I think there is new technology that is out....or coming soon? does anyone know much about LED TV's and which is better?

From What i understand:

Edgelit:

Very thin, light
good on power consumption

Backlit with local dimming):

Better blacks and whites
Bit more expensive than edgelit

OLED:
Not yet available over 15"
Going to be expensive

I'm also hearing about 'pro-LED' and 'Nano LED' which LG are advertising as 'Full LED'!

Opinions and knowledge appreciated

The BORED ©™ No 2
The BORED Collective ©™
'Snokes'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

EddieGTA

It is very confusing. I would say though that don't get drawn in by the manufacturers blurb on things they have done to improve things, things like dynamic contrast and dimming the back light can lag and cause the picture to noticably flicker.

You are best off going to somewhere like John Lewis and looking at what the TVs look like, even if you don't buy from them they tend to be set up well and their sales staff seem to be more knowledgable.

I bought my Samsung about 4 years ago when full HD was just starting to come in on under 40" TVs. I probably would have bought the full HD 37", but going in the shop and looking went for the 32" 720P model as for the technology at the time it looked better at the distance I would be viewing for standard definition (which most still is now)

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulietta

TVs | AVForums.com - UK Online
A very helpfull source.

I would always buy a Plasma TV again.
Usualy better Picture (slightly depends on what and where you watch) for the money and power consumption isn't really an issue anymore.
And please don't compare TVs in a super-big-media-store under full Neonlights.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
I hate the way that they are calling them LED TV's, they have an LED backlight whoopie do.

Its going to get really confusing for people when they actually become LED tv's in a few years.

It will be a bit like the confusion between 'HD Ready' and 'HD' TV's.

Can't wait for OLED ones though; a few mm thick and you could even roll one up like a poster!
Awaiting Email Conf

County: Greater London

Member car:

Quattroporte

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
You are best off going to somewhere like John Lewis and looking at what the TVs look like, even if you don't buy from them they tend to be set up well and their sales staff seem to be more knowledgable.
I'd say you are best off BUYING from John Lewis. They give a five year warranty with all TVs and I had the happy benefit of using it within a week of its expiry when my old Sony plasma went dicky.

They offered me a jolly generous budget and I went into their shop and chose a new model which was £1 below their budget. Which also came with a new five year warranty. So ten years warranty, thank you very much.

I wouldn't buy anywhere else.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Another option is richersounds if your looking for a good deal and 5 year warranty. I was tempted to get an LED as it was the new tech but opted for an LCD in my room. Been a great servant for me so far, pretty useless for movies though and will be upgrading to a plasma when the time comes purely for gaming and movies.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
We have two Philips Ambilight LED TVs in our house. It is a strange concept until you experience it for the first time - it really draws you in.

Quality is excellent, but only really comes into its own when you watch in 1080 - Sky HD broadcasts in 720 are good but you notice the difference. Dynamic blacks are good too, and overall I prefer the picture of a good LED to a good plasma. I think this might change once you move to a truly excellent plasma but they're just as expensive and consume epic amounts of power.

Taken at night to over-dramatise the Ambilight effect, but you get the idea:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0827.jpg (54.6 KB, 12 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
led

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page