Apple get it wrong? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 28-03-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Boxing Apple get it wrong?

Ipad 3 has run into a little bit of trouble

BBC News - Apple offers iPad refunds in Australia over 4G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CRED View Post

Ipad 3 has run into a little bit of trouble

BBC News - Apple offers iPad refunds in Australia over 4G
Couldn't help but laugh when I heard. I'd heard a rumour a few days ago about Applie insisting on the 4G branding and how it may cause some issues outside the US. Short-sighted or intentional added media coverage... Hmmm
AO Member

County: Nordrhein-Westfalen
Its not the first time either that they're advertising has caught them out!
Remember the iPhone 3g adverts? They ended up having to apply the words 'sequence shortened' to all their adds lol!
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpal View Post
Its not the first time either that they're advertising has caught them out!
Remember the iPhone 3g adverts? They ended up having to apply the words 'sequence shortened' to all their adds lol!
Ha I remember they adds. If you haven't got an iPhone, you've got five minutes.

Been reading about people complaining that the new one is overheating but I think it's just the extra kit squeezed inside it rather than a fault. Well need to wait and see if one explodes.
AO Member

I think the iphone will start to die off soon anyway - Samsung already have a larger market share, and Nokia are heading for the number 2 spot. I think apple fans (and i'm writing from a mac btw) will, as i have done got very bored very quickly with a new iphone/ipad coming out, struggling to get one, then by the time you have (at some expense as you've either brought sim-free or paid off a contract) you log on to an apple forum to read stories about the next iphone due out soon.
Adding to the pot - apple keep getting little things wrong that damage their reputation that could have been avoided were they not so desperate to push products out - advertising, software, hardware. All because they try and launch a new product when most consumers have only just acquired the current one.

Examples.... well - the above 2 incidents
Dodgy iPhone 4 antenna - with a marvellous remedy from Apple of not holding the bottom of the phone.
iphone 3's bricked by the apparently compatible iOS4 software upgrade (mine was)

When the China factory scandal broke, Apple went down a route of transparency and claimed a smear campaign trying to damage their reputation - i think they do enough of this themselves.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Honda Civic

I think the rate of new iPhone increments is predictable and sedate compared to Android devices isn't it? You basically get one minor ramp one late summer, and a major one the next late summer.

Samsung seem to pump out a high end android every 6 months or so.

I write this on a Samsung Galaxy S.

I think device obsolescence is a fact of life in the smart phone world; Apple can't really be singled out.
AO Member

Member car:

Honda Civic

The Factory in China they use, FOXCONN I believe, is used by many other major electronic companies as well....
AO Member

Good point. I think Apple are singled out because they're one manufacturer with one phone and one software pack.
The android handset choice is vast - but theres a choice. In most cases the phones are built and optimised around the software, rather than push the phone out there and worry about the software etc later as apple seem to do these days.
I have both. Using a Galaxy s2 currently, iphone 4s was given to the Mrs (i think the galaxy is better), iphone4 is in a drawer somewhere lol!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgerx View Post
The Factory in China they use, FOXCONN I believe, is used by many other major electronic companies as well....
Correct - the apple scaremongers were at work. Apple have a massive fanbase (i'm one), and i think if it wasn't for the fanbase and hype they may have been more adversely effected by recent advertising/software/hardware issues.
AO Member

..... I was going to continue yesterday about how RIM have found themselves at the top of the slope Nokia went down! I should have as i would have been hailed a psychic! Lol

BBC News - Blackberry-maker RIM going back to its roots
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
'Its roots' was a flop too which is why it went retail. I remember being offered a massive box of blackberrys with black and white screens many years ago. A company bought them all and the staff just couldnt get to grips with them. Maybe they were before their time, 'pushing' emails and now they are too late!

Sent on the back of an AA truck Using Tapatalk
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
LTE doesn't qualify to be called 4G under the standards, however LTE Advanced does.

All players in this marketplace will suffer the same unless clarity about the emerging technologies and standards is globally communicated.

It's a bit of a melting pot at the mo, manufacturers and network providers DO need to be clearer in their advertising about the capabilities of their devices in context of 'local' network capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Although marketed as 4G wireless service, LTE as specified in the 3GPP Release 8 and 9 document series does not satisfy the requirements set forth by the ITU-R organization. The LTE Advanced standard satisfies the ITU-R requirements to be considered 4G.
That said, we don't even have 3GPP LTE yet which is a ****ing disgrace.
spx
AO Member

RIM wasted their chance, blackberry could have been a serious contender if they pumped money into their app world.

E-mail push worked great, bbm was good and has a loyal fan group but internet browsing was rubbish and there wasn't a large selection of apps/toys for people to play with. Everyman and his dug wants a smart phone but not many need it for work which is what blackberries were best at. they aren't even the best at that now.

Heard the other day that the iPhone is now out selling blackberries in Canada. Beat on home, turf looks like game over.

its all fun until something falls off.

AO Member

Agreed SPX, i've had 3 of them in the promise they would be more competent at most things the iphone is, and i only stuck with them for a month at the most! One's in a box somewhere, one went on fleabay and the other in the bin. Horrid devices to use imo
spx
AO Member

Know what you mean, I've just switched to Droid (although you probably know that from you power saving advice and tapatalk recommendation) but I was tempted when the advert for the new bold appeared.

Glad I switched though, so many things I can do with this that blackberry couldn't come close to - satnav, teamviewer, the ability to load a Web page first time, not having to rip the battery out every day to clear the ram from all the memory leaks.
AO Member

I think what tempted BB users away and towards Apple was the usability, functionality and customisation of the iPhone (thats how it was for me). The same trend is happening from the iPhone to Android. IMO the features, usability and without doubt the customisation possibilities of an Android phone trump the iPhone in every department. Added to that, with so many manufactures making droids theres a choice of basic to high end handsets that by and large all do the same thing. Plus with Android many more apps (games, utilities or customisations) are free or cheaper vs appstore. I spent more than 300 quid in the appstore just in 2008 - i'm nowhere near that in the last 2 years of Android use.
spx
AO Member

£300 - did you have a radar app or just try every thing?

I don't like the stupid restrictions that IPhones have like can't bluetooth a file to another phone or set any mp3 as a ringtone. Little basic features that have been on basic phones for years are now removed from a leading smart phone
AO Member

I think tomtom Europe was a third of that nearly. Navigon on android is nearly half the price.
You can make mp3 ringtones for the iphone using garageband if you have a Mac.
But you're right, there are many restrictions on that phone that are just odd and inconvenient.
spx
AO Member

You can make ringtones on iTunes with a but of farting about.

Recently tried free nav SMS was impressed. Only down side is the search without data connection is a bit rubbish but you can download the maps so it works off line.

Would you recommend any of the paid ones?
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by spx View Post
I don't like the stupid restrictions that IPhones have like can't bluetooth a file to another phone or set any mp3 as a ringtone. Little basic features that have been on basic phones for years are now removed from a leading smart phone
Unless of course you jail break it ... I can store files on my iPhone via a wifi connection (on windows) ... but yes the in built limits (like the 20meg download limit when on 3g ... yet again jailbroken to get round that) do annoy me

I looked at changing to a different phone, but then when I looked what I used it for (making calls, sending text's, playing games, watching films/music) I wouldn't actually gain anything by changing ...
spx
AO Member

RIM are now staying in the consumer market and sourcing their IS for windows

http://m.itproportal.com/2012/04/02/...kberry-phones/

Apologies if the link doesn't work, it's for the mobile site.
AO Member

That would be the better move for them. There's never been too much wrong with their hardware from a design point of view. The operating system has always been the bore for me.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Well I have to say that although I don't like the way Apple update their devices so quickly this is the first smartphone I've ever had where it doesn't keep freezing and needs switching on and off every 5 minutes to reset it. I'll probably regret saying that now.........no, it's still working.
AO Member

Member car:

Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicks View Post
Well I have to say that although I don't like the way Apple update their devices so quickly this is the first smartphone I've ever had where it doesn't keep freezing and needs switching on and off every 5 minutes to reset it. I'll probably regret saying that now.........no, it's still working.
As has been said before, Apple's update schedule is slower and more consistant than pretty much any other Andriod smart phone manufacturer...

If you buy in the Autumn, you can be pretty sure you are maximising the amount of time as the 'latest' device.
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpal View Post
I think the iphone will start to die off soon anyway - Samsung already have a larger market share, and Nokia are heading for the number 2 spot. I think apple fans (and i'm writing from a mac btw) will, as i have done got very bored very quickly with a new iphone/ipad coming out, struggling to get one, then by the time you have (at some expense as you've either brought sim-free or paid off a contract) you log on to an apple forum to read stories about the next iphone due out soon.
Adding to the pot - apple keep getting little things wrong that damage their reputation that could have been avoided were they not so desperate to push products out - advertising, software, hardware. All because they try and launch a new product when most consumers have only just acquired the current one.

Examples.... well - the above 2 incidents
Dodgy iPhone 4 antenna - with a marvellous remedy from Apple of not holding the bottom of the phone.
iphone 3's bricked by the apparently compatible iOS4 software upgrade (mine was)

When the China factory scandal broke, Apple went down a route of transparency and claimed a smear campaign trying to damage their reputation - i think they do enough of this themselves.
I can't see Apple products 'dying off soon' they're too superior to the competition, I'll most certainly never buy a different phone/tablet whilst they're making iPhones/ iPads.

Your examples are the normal anti Apple brigade nonsense...

Dodgy iPhone 4 antenna - a non issue, all phones will lose bars if you smother then, no one I knew ever had an issue with this...

iPhone 3's bricked - haven't heard this one....

iPad 3 heat issue - I have one and it doesn't get any more noticeably hotter that iPad 2, they don't get 'hot' just mildly warm.

I presume you don't know much about Foxconn - again, this is anti apple propaganda, loads of companies use Foxconn... Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Nokia to name a few. Do heir names get mentioned with this? No. Do they have constant worker reviews and campaign for wage rises and better facilities for the Foxconn employees? No. Apple does though.

As for apples reputation, I have a 4 year old MacBook Pro, at Christmas the logic board went, so I took it o he apple store to see how much a replacement board was, it was £600, but they replaced it for free.... No reciept with me, just the laptop, and they changed it within an hour.

Exceptional products and customer service.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
apple , wrong

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page