iPhones and iTunes....again.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

Mymatemarmite

iPhones and iTunes....again....

This may have been covered, but I have searched and not found a difinative answer to my query..........and Google has simply confused me even more.

Today, I finally got around to downloading iTunes to my laptop. I only have the one account, but this was originaly set up on my work computer, which simply died one day.

I want to synch my phone so that my purchased music, apps, contacts etc are saved in the event of my phone going wrong, but I keep getting a warning from iTunes regards data and media being lost if I synch!!

Surely there must be a relatively simple way around this?

Any ideas guys 'n' gals??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Apple area a bit awkward when it comes to this. if you sign in to you iTunes account on the new PC it should let you download all your iTunes purchases to the new PC (not a sure if that includes apps). You will lose any music that you have that didn't come from iTunes, like music ripped from a CD.

For the iPod use a third party program to copy off your music. Try copy Trans manager or look on the gadget show page on channel five, they used to have a video showing how to do it with a different program. Them download your iTunes purchases from iTunes

Copy it off you iPod on to you home PC then sync it. I'm late for 5 a sides so sorry if this isn't very concise. Will be back on later of you have any questions.

Does your iPhone have ios 5? And access to the icloud? If it does you can back everything up there instead of on iTunes.

Clear as mud?

Any question let me know.

Cheers, Sean

its all fun until something falls off.

Mymatemarmite

Cheers Sean, I'll have a look into that. I thought that I had read about being able to save everything bar ripped music, as you have mentoned, but I couldn't find the article, and iTunes just kept warning me of my data being wiped, hence my concern. I'll have another play with it shortly.

Good luck in the match

Mymatemarmite

Hmmm.......well, things were going quite well with downloading my itunes purchases to the computer, then it just stopped, and kept telling me that the download option wasn't available, and to try later.

However, going into individual artists allowed me to continue downloading, but it kept slowing up, and I can't find the individual songs anywhere on my computer, only the first batch that downloaded in one go, despite itunes telling me that they have been downloaded.

Why the heck is itunes so ridiculously 'buggy' all of the time???

CobolMan

Let me guess, you're using it on Windows aren't you? I have to say it's fairly pants on Mrs C's W7 laptop but it runs like a dream on my Mac mini.

Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobolMan View Post
Let me guess, you're using it on Windows aren't you? I have to say it's fairly pants on Mrs C's W7 laptop but it runs like a dream on my Mac mini.
You guessed right mate

spx
AO Member

Right click on the songs on iTunes, hopefully should be an option to"open containing folder"or some thing similar. Will take you to the default folder that should hopefully have the songs that successfully.

Default is something like c: users/mymatemarmite/my music/iTunes.

are you missing quite a lot?
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spx View Post
Right click on the songs on iTunes, hopefully should be an option to"open containing folder"or some thing similar. Will take you to the default folder that should hopefully have the songs that successfully.

Default is something like c: users/mymatemarmite/my music/iTunes.

are you missing quite a lot?
Cheers mate, I'll try that later...just to see where they are.
I've decided that as most of the music in my phone was purchased through iTunes, and thus stored safely on my iTunes library, I'll just 'back up' my phone to secure my contacts etc should my phone ever die/get lost etc.

I can't be bothered with the faff of trying to re synch it, it's too much like hard work!
I'll just be happy to know that my settings, contacts etc are backed up.

Thanks for the help folks

Durty dog

Excellent thread, my mac broke down and thanks too this thread i have managed to retrieve my whole library onto my windows pc

spx
AO Member

Glad it was of some use. All from memory typed on my phone so felt it was a bit disjointed and didn't make sense!
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Glad it was of some use. All from memory typed on my phone so felt it was a bit disjointed and didn't make sense!
Any advice on opperating anything vaguely like a computer, all apart from how to plug it in, is always gratefully received

Durty dog

Another question regarding itunes, i have authorised 4 out of the 5 computers that can be linked to itunes, i only have 2 computers now working so how do i de-authorise the 2 i don't use?

spx
AO Member

Log on too the old computer, open iTunes, go to the store menu at the top and click deauthorise this computer.

If you don't have accesses to the computers or they are dead its a bit more tricky. You have to Deauthorise (is that even a word) all the computers and then add them back in. you can only do this once a year apparently- Never had to do it.

If you buy mp3s from Amazon they don't have any digital rights management (DRM) on they tracks and you can do what you want with then and put them on as many PCs as you want. Also can beer a bit cheaper.

Any problems let me know
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Classic case of Pebkac
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Classic case of Pebkac
I agree completely......I'm pretty hopeless with computers

I did manage to 'Google' 'Pebkac' though

Mymatemarmite

...........So, since 'backing up' my phone to iTunes, I've suddenly gained .9 GB of available storage on the phone

From what I can see, nothing is missing in any of the media, contacts, photos or apps.

So does the phone have some kind of internal memory that has now been relieved??

spx
AO Member

0.9 GB or 9GB? Is all your music definitely still on it?
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
0.9 GB or 9GB? Is all your music definitely still on it?
0.9 GB...........I can't remember exactly how many songs I had, but nothing obvious has gone, i.e. music videos, T.V. programes, ripped songs and purchased songs are there???

0.9 GB equates to about 5 songs I think...........if it has lost them, I don't which ones they are.

spx
AO Member

0.9GB is about 200 songs. Is it maybe 0.9 Mb?
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
0.9GB is about 200 songs. Is it maybe 0.9 Mb?
The phone reads 5.9 GB of storage available, and it was at 5.0 GB before the back up............certainly nothing like 200 songs gone. I know I had nearly 600 songs on the phone, and it's showing 575 at the moment.

Bit of a mystery.

spx
AO Member

Weird, if there isn't anything missing I'd just look at it as a win! More space.
Durty dog

Quote:
Log on too the old computer, open iTunes, go to the store menu at the top and click deauthorise this computer.

If you don't have accesses to the computers or they are dead its a bit more tricky. You have to Deauthorise (is that even a word) all the computers and then add them back in. you can only do this once a year apparently- Never had to do it.

If you buy mp3s from Amazon they don't have any digital rights management (DRM) on they tracks and you can do what you want with then and put them on as many PCs as you want. Also can beer a bit cheaper.

Any problems let me know
Cheers, think i may have a solution, If i was to try and authorize over my allowance of 5 devices it might then give me a drop down box with the option of deleting?

spx
AO Member

This is a step by step for deauthorising all your machines - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/23974...tunes-account/

it can't be done until you have authorised 5 machines, until you hit 5 you can only remove them by logging on to the actual machine. Also it can only be done once a year.

If all the PCs you have are working you'd probably be as well just leaving them until you hit 5 or need to go over 5
Durty dog

Quote:
This is a step by step for deauthorising all your machines - Beginner: Deauthorize All Computers Associated with Your iTunes Account - How-To Geek

it can't be done until you have authorised 5 machines, until you hit 5 you can only remove them by logging on to the actual machine. Also it can only be done once a year.

If all the PCs you have are working you'd probably be as well just leaving them until you hit 5 or need to go over 5
Cheers afraid only my ipod touch and windows pc are now working.

Durty dog

Thanks SPX, all deauthorised, and just authorised the one i am now using

I didn't need to have 5 authorised i only had 4, you have to remove all then authorise just the ones you use.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
iphones , itunesagain

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page