RDP Inactive Session Timeout... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 22-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
RDP Inactive Session Timeout...

I've got a very odd problem on a clients site ... basically I need to open an RDP session and when I disconnect I need to to remain logged in (I've got an SSIS script that I want to run overnight in BIDs), however after a couple of hours it (forcably) logs me out ...

The (virtual) machine is running Windows 2008 R2 Standard, it's part of a domain and I'm logged in as a domain user, although I have local admin rights on the server itself. The Domain GPO does not have any of the terminal services timeouts configured (confirmed by running gpresult /v) ... in addition I've tried setting the local GPO to have all the timeouts disabled.

The terminal services licences are licenced from a seperate terminal services licence server (I don't know if this has any effect)

So what else can I try to make myself not timeout???

Alfa 156 10v 2.4 JTD + AHM fitted Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
AHM 200+BHP remap, Q2, 8C Alloys, GTA lights, Leather Interior...

CarPuter Spec: Gigabyte MA785GM Motherboard,2Gb Ram,
AMD Athlon X2 5050e Socket AM2 45W CPU,
K8061 D/A converter, M4 ATX PS, 60Gb SSD, Garmin x20 GPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Ensure that the session doesn't become inactive? Run a WinMTR trace route or similar that will use only modest resources but keep on running until you stop it.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Configure Timeout and Reconnection Settings for Remote Desktop Services Sessions

Might help

Alternatively use a stored procedure to fire the ssis package withparameters if needed on a timer

Last edited by GhostyDog; 22-03-12 at 20:43.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 22-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Ensure that the session doesn't become inactive? Run a WinMTR trace route or similar that will use only modest resources but keep on running until you stop it.

If all else fails I'll give this a go ... just want to do it properly (it's taken my 6 weeks to get the paperwork approved to allow me to do this!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Configure Timeout and Reconnection Settings for Remote Desktop Services Sessions

Might help

Alternatively use a stored procedure to fire the ssis package withparameters if needed on a timer

Those settings appeared to be grey'd out (even though I'm a local admin) so looks like the licensing server is taking control of the settings (which I don't have access to) ... at the bottom of the page lists the group policy changes that apparently do the same thing and those are the values that I changed.

I'll contact the guy who administers the licensing server on monday ...
AO Platinum Member

It is an odd one, licensing server doesn't control this, are there any more GPOs on the server?

I tend to make specific GPOs for a single setting or a subset of settings. This makes it easier to dig down to where the problem setting may reside.

Also run rsop.msc to see what settings are applied to your session, this would be a good starting point.

gpresult would also tell you if the policy is correctly being distributed to the machine.

Last edited by GhostyDog; 23-03-12 at 08:20.
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 23-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
It is an odd one, licensing server doesn't control this, are there any more GPOs on the server?

I tend to make specific GPOs for a single setting or a subset of settings. This makes it easier to dig down to where the problem setting may reside.

Also run rsop.msc to see what settings are applied to your session, this would be a good starting point.

gpresult would also tell you if the policy is correctly being distributed to the machine.

Hadn't heard of rsop.msc before ... it's fantastic ... I've found the GPO that is enabling the timeout (it's a computer configuration rather than user), it's odd how the local policy hasn't overridden the setting though ... do you know if it's possible (at a local level) to enforce the order that GPOs are applied? or am I going to have to go back to the domain admins?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
Hadn't heard of rsop.msc before ... it's fantastic ... I've found the GPO that is enabling the timeout (it's a computer configuration rather than user), it's odd how the local policy hasn't overridden the setting though ... do you know if it's possible (at a local level) to enforce the order that GPOs are applied? or am I going to have to go back to the domain admins?
You can't set precedence, all you can do is perform a gpupdate at the machine, some user policies require a logoff, some machine policies require a reboot.

You can run gpupdate /force to perform a background refresh of policy and it will ask you to logoff or reboot where applicable.

You can also create a html document detailing the applied policy, look up the usage for gpresult.

Not that that will help your current situation.

Resultant Set Of Policy (rsop) is first place to look when things arent working as you expect
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 26-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Done!!! although I did have to physically stand behind the domain admin and tell him what buttons to press (just after I'd received the obligatory sigh and ... "am I actually having to do some work").

Thanks GD for your help
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
Done!!! although I did have to physically stand behind the domain admin and tell him what buttons to press (just after I'd received the obligatory sigh and ... "am I actually having to do some work").

Thanks GD for your help
You're very welcome

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
inactive , rdp , session , timeout

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page