Ipad 1 to 'new' Ipad help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 22-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

hmmmm...

Ipad 1 to 'new' Ipad help!

So, Mother in law has an Ipad 1 and loves it, best thign the Father in law has ever bought her.... I managed to persuede them away from jumping for Ipad 2 and to wait for Ipad 3, so when the 'new' Ipad came out that was what they have done. Father in law has bought it as a surprise and got it delivered to me (family tech guru) to sort out. She is coming round tomorrow and will bring the Ipad and I will surprise her with her new one.

now the complications.

She lives in France and her Ipad 1 is synced witht eh PC over there. she will only be back in france later next month.

I want to know if i can get her stuff off her ipad 1, and onto her new Ipad withthe use of my laptop - which has never had itunes installed on it. (we have it ont he PC instead)

so my question is, can i sync her Ipad to my laptop (for music etc) and then sync from there to her new ipad? I have a concern that if i sync from my empty laptop to her ipad 1 that I will just wipe it.

Someone here has mentioned the 'cloud' but i am pretty sure she hasn;t signed into/upto that and so I guess she will only get her apps and not music. can i Get the Ipad 1 to sign up tot he cloud, then transfer to the other Ipad? without the PC from france involved?

Never ride faster than your angels can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
You used to be able to sync a device with up to 5 computers, so theoretically yes, you could sync the iPad 1 with your computer - but once you download iTunes, she needs to be the one who signs into it (otherwise she'll have problems) If you choose to do that, get her to sign up to the cloud while you're at.
Once you've got the old one synced, plug in the new one and it will automatically sync.

But the key point is that you need to be logged in to her iTunes account. Otherwise it won't work properly.

Find me on flickr: PSJ_Picdump
My comments are just my words - it's your mind that finds the meaning you want to find.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 22-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
You used to be able to sync a device with up to 5 computers, so theoretically yes, you could sync the iPad 1 with your computer - but once you download iTunes, she needs to be the one who signs into it (otherwise she'll have problems) If you choose to do that, get her to sign up to the cloud while you're at.
Once you've got the old one synced, plug in the new one and it will automatically sync.

But the key point is that you need to be logged in to her iTunes account. Otherwise it won't work properly.
ahh cool, that does make sense, and hopefully is the answer
cheers
AO Platinum Member

As she has an iPad 1 it is unlikely that she has IOS5 (and therefore will not have cloud access) ... therefore the answer to your question is ... NO ... you can't pull things from an ipad (or any other apple product) they always have to have stuff pushed to it ...
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 23-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

hmmmm...

I followed WTFH's instructions, and after a few misses manageed to get musioc and apps all done! Not 100% sure it was all the music, mgiht have just been the purchases...btu she is very very happy!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigfarmer View Post
I followed WTFH's instructions, and after a few misses manageed to get musioc and apps all done! Not 100% sure it was all the music, mgiht have just been the purchases...btu she is very very happy!

Ahh forgot that if she'd bought it through the apple store then they would sync (pushed to the ipad from the store ...)
AO Silver Member

Woohoo, I got something right!
Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
As she has an iPad 1 it is unlikely that she has IOS5 (and therefore will not have cloud access) ... therefore the answer to your question is ... NO ... you can't pull things from an ipad (or any other apple product) they always have to have stuff pushed to it ...
Yes you can, there are a few different applications available now to pull stuff from iPhones and iPads onto a computer.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Vincent View Post
Yes you can, there are a few different applications available now to pull stuff from iPhones and iPads onto a computer.
Links please or they don't exist!!!
AO Silver Member

Um... iTunes will do it, Chris.

If you have apps, photos, calendar events, etc on your iPad/iPhone and you plug it into your computer, the computer will pull them off the device. That's how it has worked for years.
The PC doesn't re-download them from the app store, but from the device in the first instance.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
Um... iTunes will do it, Chris.

If you have apps, photos, calendar events, etc on your iPad/iPhone and you plug it into your computer, the computer will pull them off the device. That's how it has worked for years.
The PC doesn't re-download them from the app store, but from the device in the first instance.
itunes won't pull down the music from the ipad/iphone though (unless you bought them from the app store) ... which is what I was thinking ...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
ipad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page