Cloud computing with a NAS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Cloud computing with a NAS

I went to a free MS event for Charities today at their London office (impressive place as you would expect).

During the promo speeches they were really pushing Cloud computing and access everything anywhere on anything.

So, it has got me thinking that it would be a good idea to have my own data/photos online so I can do as above - it would be very handy in a number of situations.

I have not really used anything as yet except for a dabble with Google Docs (not a fan, too clunky) and MS Skydrive (not a fan either as no Android support direct from MS and the interface isn't great, however storage capacity is at 25GB!)

All my data lives on a NAS at home and that is where I would like to to sync with, too and from a "Cloud" data server.

Has anyone setup this type of system with a NAS?

Cheers,
Jack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Depending upon the make of your NAS it should be relatively easy to set up an rsync job to a cloud storage solution eg Amazon cloud. Some NAS devices have this functionality built in. Bear in mind the first sync could take ages depending on the amount of data and your broadband speed so the first sync should be done manually. Only after it has completed should you enable a regular schedule. The principle of little and often applies.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Synology have just released their latest disk management software with "EZCloud" so you can basically access your NAS anywhere you want, and it also has a built in sync option with another cloud or on-line backup service but not tried it out yet. I don't think I'll be able to make proper use of the EZCloud function because my Livebox has limited ports available The Synology can already be accessed via a web interface (which I use from home anyway) and it can be set up as a web server/mail server/surveillance station (though it's not a cheap option at all)/iTunes server/photo server etc.

Which NAS have you got?

I do have a Synology's Replicator 3 running on both my machines and that's already syncing the two machines to the NAS for backup but I have additional files on there (e.g. music)... I need to sort it a little but either way I'll end up with at least 2 copies of everything as the NAS is set up as a mirror RAID.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 16-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

I have the Iomege Home Media Network Hard Drive (got it free from a from who no longer had a use for it.
https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/ap...31,1043/c/1066

I notice that Iomega now do a Cloud version of this but I don't want to spend too much. I like file backup to be simple and off-site though but also centrally shared in the home.

Will have a look at Amazon Cloud and Synology.
Thanks.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
cloud , computing , nas

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page