Help With LAN Needed. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Help With LAN Needed.

My " new " PC arrived yesterday and spent a while setting and loading, all OK until the Internet bit.

The LAN says that it is running at 100 Mbs but has " Low or No Connectivity. " Seems to relate to the IP Address. Gone through the set up and told it to auto find the address etc but no joy. The " Repair Connection " doesn't work, it tries and fails to find the address.

Managed to get it going with my old Router for a little while and felt quite happy but it failed after about an hour, won't go at all now.

Tried to install my new Router but it fails at the connecting Hub to PC stage and yet again I've tried all the fixes suggested but no joy.

Now is it something I've done or is there a fault ? I put all my files on it before testing the Internet bit, was that a mistake ? Can't see how but.......

Sorry to bother you all again, I feel a bit of a fool but I'm tearing my hair out now and I'm just off to the garage to get the Fine Tuning Tool. ( Lump Hammer. )

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! - TBA

email: [email protected]

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater London
could well be something in one of the files that you have transfered over from the old pc, maybe details of the old router which are conflicting with the setup of the new one.

have you tried refreshing your I.P address

start, run, type "cmd", then in the dos box type, ipconfig/renew

your new router should also have an i.p. address somewhere written on the box or CD to access it's main menu. if you type this into the address bit at the top of internet address bar, it should let you into the menu for the router and might give more info on the problem.
(Post Link) post #3 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixf666 View Post
could well be something in one of the files that you have transfered over from the old pc, maybe details of the old router which are conflicting with the setup of the new one.

have you tried refreshing your I.P address

start, run, type "cmd", then in the dos box type, ipconfig/renew

your new router should also have an i.p. address somewhere written on the box or CD to access it's main menu. if you type this into the address bit at the top of internet address bar, it should let you into the menu for the router and might give more info on the problem.

Thanks for that. Just tried the DOS renew and it ends up with " Error occurred, unable to contact your DHCP Server. "

Currently I'm not plugged in to the 'phone line but the router is connected via ethernet and is turned on so I assume that is OK for where I am at the moment.

If I do plug into the line the Hub VOIP 'Phone works fine but still no connection to the PC.

PS. On the PC I'm running now I have both routers installed and they work fine on whichever one I connect so I'm as confused as ever !
(Post Link) post #4 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Just tried this and all I get is a DNS error, can't find page.
AO Member

i think you would need it plugged in to the phone line to get it working.

does your old router come with its own software to launch it, maybe that has been made the default programme so the normal one is disabled.

i remember having a similar problem with a mates laptop, and it had a vodafone router which disabled the other one, but when i went into the vodafone control panel i could connect the other router through it.

not sure if this is of any use, but i feel your pain and just offering some suggestions.

good luck.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Nige,

Run ipconfig /all from a dos prompt and post back what you get.

Also,
  • What OS are you using?
  • What router are you using?

Cheers

Sean
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4

Sounds like the DHCP on your router may not be turned on.

Do you still have access to the old pc, if you do check if its got a static IP

How to Assign a Static IP Address in XP, Vista, or Windows 7 - How-To Geek

and set your new PC with the same IP address. (same link)

But all this guessing is based on the DHCP not being turned on
(Post Link) post #8 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

OK kind folk, here's the update, not good news really.

Spoke to BT for a while and got the LAN working by doing a DOS resetlog.txt thing, that got the LAN working. However still couldn't connect using IE or FF but Skype said it was connected and on line. ( Couldn't really test this as currently no Mic/Spkrs connected. )

Reset Router and this stopped the VOIP working and still couldn't connect.

Restart PC and now the dreaded Yellow No Connectivity is back with me and the voip isn't working either.

The whole thing seems to be in a dreadful state and seems to be going beyond my capabilities.

Currently all the indications on the Hub seem to be correct but of course it isn't connecting to the HUB and the voip isn't working. In a tic I may connect the Hub to the old PC and see if it works on that, it used to.

Sean, here are the details from your suggestion.

Host Name - user809446fdff
primary dns suffix - ( blank )
node type - unknown
ip routing enabled - no
wins proxy enabled - no

ethernet local adapter local area connection:
connection specific dns suffix - ( blank)
description - Realtek ( etc etc )
physical address - 00-14-2a-59-38-45
dhcp enabled - yes
autoconfig - yes
autoconfig ip address - 169.254.5.67
subnet mask - 255.255.0.0
default gateway - ( blank)

Using XP sp 3
BT Home Hub 2 with wireless connection for voip 'phone.

Ethernet Hub to PC

Think I need a bigger hammer !
AO Platinum Member

Your PC isn't picking up an address via DHCP, the ip address stated is one that is automatically assigned as part of APIPA which is Microsoft's implementation of zero config networking in Windows XP.

From what you say do you have a hub sat between the Router and your PC? that could very well be the problem, hubs are notorious for causing network issues as they have no switching capability which can cause problems with data collision.

If this is the case I'd try plugging the Ethernet cable direct into one of the free ports on the BT Home Hub to rule out the Ethernet hub as the problem.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
(Post Link) post #10 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Your PC isn't picking up an address via DHCP, the ip address stated is one that is automatically assigned as part of APIPA which is Microsoft's implementation of zero config networking in Windows XP.

From what you say do you have a hub sat between the Router and your PC? that could very well be the problem, hubs are notorious for causing network issues as they have no switching capability which can cause problems with data collision.

If this is the case I'd try plugging the Ethernet cable direct into one of the free ports on the BT Home Hub to rule out the Ethernet hub as the problem.

Thanks Sean.

No, in this case the Hub/router are the same thing. I plug into the ethernet connection on the PC and then into the BTHub/Router, then the tel line out of this to the 'phone socket.There are four lights on this, Power, BB, Wireless, ( for the phone ) and 'Phone active, when they all turn blue it's supposed to be working.

Just tried this Hub on this PC and all the lights go blue. The Internet connection works but the voip just gives engaged tone when you try and use it, something has happened, worse off than before. No amount of resets work.

Any ideas? I'm all out of them and spitting feathers.
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4

Have you got a phone with wireless on it? If so connect to it and try browsing just to see if the BT hub is working like it should?
AO Platinum Member

I have zero experience with home hubs, BT should be able to fix it from their end surely or is it a fire and forget sort of scenario for them?
(Post Link) post #13 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham156 View Post
Have you got a phone with wireless on it? If so connect to it and try browsing just to see if the BT hub is working like it should?
Afraid not so can't do this. Thanks for the suggestions, most welcome.
(Post Link) post #14 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I have zero experience with home hubs, BT should be able to fix it from their end surely or is it a fire and forget sort of scenario for them?
Spend an hour with them and to be fair he did at least talk me through the LAN problem, albeit the fix turned out to be only temporary. He couldn't understand why Skype was connected and apparently working but still unable to get on line with the browsers, neither could I, thought it was sorted for just a few lovely minutes !

Starting to think this PC is screwed up some how.
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4

What happens if you plug the old PC in? Does it work?
(Post Link) post #16 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
What happens if you plug the old PC in? Does it work?
Yes. In fact I've just disconnected the Hub from my old PC and now back on my old router, the new machine and the new router are currently dumped in the spare room whilst I try to regain the will to live....

The Hub itself works fine and I've just managed to get the voip going on it again. ( Handset Registration problem sorted. )

There seems to be two problems,

1. The LAN from the PC won't hold it's settings ? and reverts back to " Low or No Connectivity. "

2. Even when the LAN has been reconfigured and appears to be working ( Skype seems to work ) neither FF or IE will do anything, I'm getting quite attached to the dreaded " page not found " message.

The Hub itself is connecting to the Internet, all indications are go, it just seems that the browsers will not talk to anyone.

I'm pretty sure that's it's a fault on the PC, whether it arrived with it or I've messed up I really don't know.

I think I may well strip the machine of everything except XP and IE and start again. Is this a good idea ? I wonder

I'm confused and peed off, I think I'll be better off just sticking to the steam driven machine I'm on now !
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4

what if you try the old PC with the new router does that work?

You said its got XP on it and you cant buy them like that anymore so its not "new" new I take it mate?

would like to see how it acts on another network, do you have the chance to do this?
(Post Link) post #18 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
what if you try the old PC with the new router does that work?

You said its got XP on it and you cant buy them like that anymore so its not "new" new I take it mate?

would like to see how it acts on another network, do you have the chance to do this?

Yep, the old PC works fine with either Router. ( Running 2000 on this, don't laugh ! )

No it's a second hand machine sold to me as refurb, hence the doubt about it. Sadly I don't really have the skills to say to the seller that the machine is duff, it might be me that's messed things up.

Only one ISP here so can't try that either. Just turned the new PC on again with it connected to the new router and the same old LAN No Connectivity problem is back.
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Yep, the old PC works fine with either Router. ( Running 2000 on this, don't laugh ! )

No it's a second hand machine sold to me as refurb, hence the doubt about it. Sadly I don't really have the skills to say to the seller that the machine is duff, it might be me that's messed things up.

Only one ISP here so can't try that either. Just turned the new PC on again with it connected to the new router and the same old LAN No Connectivity problem is back.
Take it back and get him to plug it into his network. If you cant get online there its the PC. You dont have to tell him its duff just ask him to test it while your there.
(Post Link) post #20 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Take it back and get him to plug it into his network. If you cant get online there its the PC. You dont have to tell him its duff just ask him to test it while your there.
That would be the ideal thing, snag is that he's a 100 miles away, it's an eBay special. Might have to consider returning it but I can see trouble ahead with this....
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4

bit of a chew on this idea but take it to a friends house, plug it into there router, see if it works!

If not you have every right to return it
AO Member

did it come with any extra programmes on it or was it just basic windows xp? sounds like he has installed a dodgy version of xp which may be mising some essential components.

try going to the control panel, select system, and click on the device manager. on the list of devices, do any of them have a yellow question/exclamation mark next to them, most notably the network devices.

I have a licence free (hooky) version of xp that i use to rebuild some mates computers, but i always find the sound drivers are missing and have to search for them for the specific make of machine once it is installed.
(Post Link) post #23 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
bit of a chew on this idea but take it to a friends house, plug it into there router, see if it works!

If not you have every right to return it
Might be worth a try.
(Post Link) post #24 of 52 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
did it come with any extra programmes on it or was it just basic windows xp? sounds like he has installed a dodgy version of xp which may be mising some essential components.

try going to the control panel, select system, and click on the device manager. on the list of devices, do any of them have a yellow question/exclamation mark next to them, most notably the network devices.

I have a licence free (hooky) version of xp that i use to rebuild some mates computers, but i always find the sound drivers are missing and have to search for them for the specific make of machine once it is installed.

It came with XP and IE only and like a fool I put some extra stuff on before I tried the internet connection, I fear I may be the cause of the screw up.

Everything in the Device manager seems OK.

Just a thought. Is there any way to do a system restore back to the day before I got it ?
AO Member

start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
lan , needed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page