Watch winders for automatic watches - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 11-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Watch winders for automatic watches

I know there is a lot of knowledge on watches on here so my question is does anyone use a winder for their automatic watch? If so more specifically, will they wind the motor on a Seiko kinetic?
Mine stops over time because I don't wear it enough or am not active enough to keep it going. It makes the whole automatic thing a bit pointless really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Nordrhein-Westfalen
Never needed to use a winder, and i have 3 autos so they do sit around for days on end, but i do try and wear each for at least a few hours a week. Does giving it a good shake not spark it back into life?? I've never know being inactive to cause one to stop.

Anyway, back on topic - i have heard very good things about Orbita and brookstone winders - not cheap though. Be careful with the settings on these things though!
AO Member

ODS - What movement does your watch have?
(Post Link) post #4 of 37 Old 11-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the reply. It has a generator that charges and powers a quartz movement I think. It always comes back to life a soon as I shake it but I have to correct the date and time and then it's in its energy save mode (where it jumps 2 seconds at a time). Seiko Kinetics are supposed to go to sleep after a few hours of inactivity then return to the correct time when they are moved again. When it was new it could be left for weeks. I think somehow it needs a full charge putting into it. Wearing it all day is not an option nor does it work, it keeps going for a couple of days and that's it.
AO Member

How old is it? Has it been serviced professionally since purchase?
(Post Link) post #6 of 37 Old 11-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antpal View Post
How old is it? Has it been serviced professionally since purchase?
4 years old and never been touched. I think to watch lovers they are a bit of a gimmick TBH. I bought it because I liked the look of it
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Double Six View Post
4 years old and never been touched. I think to watch lovers they are a bit of a gimmick TBH. I bought it because I liked the look of it
Not a gimmick at all mate! Which version is it? This is important as the Kinetic range can run from 30 hours to 4 years depending on the model! So, important to rule out a problem with the watch.
(Post Link) post #8 of 37 Old 11-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

The model number escapes me at the minute but it says Premier Kinetic Perpetual on the face, I'd have to look for the box etc. The four year life sounds right as I remember. It wasn't expensive by watch standards, I'd just like to get it working properly.
AO Member

The perpetual movement is the 6 month version (from what i've found, the 'Auto Relay' being 4 years). These watches only need about 500 turns per day to be up to a full charge. Using a winder isn't really recommended or needed imo.
Try this routine (i do this often), very handy if you don't/cant normally wear it during the day:
Wear it from when you get up, until you leave the house. Simple as that! Making tea, toast, eating and drinking these, toilet, shower (body and hair wash = loads of turns! Oh, and brushing teeth too - put it on your right wrist if needed ), drying, dressing etc, then take it off. You'll find (well i do) that this keeps them ticking over nicely
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
you shouldn't need a watch winder for a Seiko Kinetic, they are really aimed at owners of mechanical automatic watches. The kinetic is a good reliable movement, at about seven to eight years old the capacator cell, (rechargeable battery) will need to be replaced which is a relatively easy job for a competent watch repairer and not too expensive compared to a full Seiko service
(Post Link) post #11 of 37 Old 11-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks guys that's what I needed to know. I won't need to be wasting my money on a winder then.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
I've got a double winder. Works a treat which means I can keep three on the go at once
AO Member

I can't justify buying one really - i know they do a good job, but i can do that job by wearing for an hour a day. Granted, i think i should invest in one as my watches were purchased for collecting/investing - and not so much daily wearing lol!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Quote:
I can't justify buying one really - i know they do a good job, but i can do that job by wearing for an hour a day. Granted, i think i should invest in one as my watches were purchased for collecting/investing - and not so much daily wearing lol!
My watches are wearvestments, inc my rare limited edition stuff
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
I wouldnt worry, I've got a fair few automatics that sit around for long periods, as long as they get a run every few weeks it shouldn't be a problem, especially with the synthetic oils they use nowdays, doesnt tend to clog like years gone by.

Collect and enjoy, yes, invest not so sure, nothing modern tends to be a good investment. I've got a number of 30+ year olds that have appreciated well, but any of my modern TAG, Omega etc, like cars, worth half what you pay for them in the medium term. Whether any models become future classics and appreciate is in the hands of the next generation of buyers.

Saying that there are some dead cool looking winders around, make great ornaments.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

I've a Seiko Kinetic MrsH bought me 10 years ago, don't think I've worn it for about 7 years.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I've a Citizen one somewhere - I haven't worn a watch in years, but have started to think about wearing one again. If I can find it, it's going to need something to get it going again - I might have to find someone who can wind it for a week!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
I've a Citizen one somewhere - I haven't worn a watch in years, but have started to think about wearing one again. If I can find it, it's going to need something to get it going again - I might have to find someone who can wind it for a week!
Bumping this thread, and particularly my post, because I found the watch in a box. I've always thought it was an auto-winder. Put it on yesterday and nothing happened. I shook it and nothing happened. I set it down and came back to it 5 minutes later and it was going.

This intrigued me, how did my perpetual movement watch start going when it was set down?

Well, I then decided to google it. Google was giving me the wrong results, because Google said my watch wasn't a perpetual movement one.
Frustrated, I left it for a while longer, then decided to read the Google results.

Turns out my watch is solar powered.

It's working great after half a day sitting in the window!

Find me on flickr: PSJ_Picdump
My comments are just my words - it's your mind that finds the meaning you want to find.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Bought the missus that Hi-Beat Seiko auto back in '72 for her 21'st. Gave it a clean not long back still works well, but she does need to wear it continually to keep it ticking away. :
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Is it a Citizen Eco-Drive by any chance WTFH?
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Mate of mine said you need to be cautious of auto watch winders as if the watch is in the same position for long periods of time it will cause uneven wear on the mechanism.

Urban myth or fact?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Is it a Citizen Eco-Drive by any chance WTFH?
It is, indeed. A titanium one.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

In that case it's quite possibly the exact same watch as I have on my wrist currently. A Skyhawk AT titanium.

Nice watch - unfortunately I can't be trusted with nice things (otherwise known as I'm a clumsy git and never remember to take it off when doing DIY) so mine has a few scratches on the dial, and is not in good condition.

As well as the face of the watch being a rather clever solar panel, it also corrects itself against the atomic clock once a day.
AO Silver Member

No, not as posh as that, but it does have a scratch resistant front. Very thin, just the 3 hands and a date dial.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Ah right.

Yes, mine has a scratch resistant front too. Fat lot of good it did me.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
automatic , watch , watches , winders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page