Which Tablet? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 71 Old 04-03-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Help Which Tablet?

I'm thinking of getting myself a Tablet as I'm fedup lugging a laptop everywhere.

I'm currently leaning towards a Blackberry Playbook. The new version seems to do all I want, Web Browsing, Word Processing & E-Mail, plus to will interface with my phone. I'm not too bothered about Games & Music.

Anybody got one or any thoughts on others.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

2007 159 1.9jtdm

Playbook will not be updated, as RIM have stopped all development of a new version and will probably only carry on support for the current version for another 12 months. iPad 2 will start to tumble in price as the new 3 is likely to be announced this week, I have a 3G version of this and use a PAYG 30day sim in it as and when I know I'm going to need it, £5 off of eBay for all you can eat data. I just find the lack of flash a bit annoying now and again but the amount of times I find I'm without isnt worth really mentioning. I don't game etc.
I would mention that I wouldn't want to be composing word documents for a long time on a tablet there just not comfortable to do so. Browsing and email is as far as mines stretched and the odd baby app for my 18month old son - he bloody loves it!
(Post Link) post #3 of 71 Old 04-03-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelancs View Post
Playbook will not be updated, as RIM have stopped all development of a new version and will probably only carry on support for the current version for another 12 months. iPad 2 will start to tumble in price as the new 3 is likely to be announced this week, I have a 3G version of this and use a PAYG 30day sim in it as and when I know I'm going to need it, £5 off of eBay for all you can eat data. I just find the lack of flash a bit annoying now and again but the amount of times I find I'm without isnt worth really mentioning. I don't game etc.
I would mention that I wouldn't want to be composing word documents for a long time on a tablet there just not comfortable to do so. Browsing and email is as far as mines stretched and the odd baby app for my 18month old son - he bloody loves it!
RIM have just launched Playbook 2.0 which seems to be getting good reviews. The WP would just be for updating the odd document rather than creating new ones.
AO Member

Do yourself a favour and just get an ipad3. Out Wednesday.
(Post Link) post #5 of 71 Old 04-03-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon156 View Post
Do yourself a favour and just get an ipad3. Out Wednesday.
Why is that better for what I want?

Besides Ipad £399 Blackberry £169
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Blackberry have binned the play book and Adobe have binned mobile flash
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CRED View Post
Why is that better for what I want?

Besides Ipad £399 Blackberry £169
One of a number of reasons I don't get the whole Apple phenomenon. But I know I never will.
(Post Link) post #8 of 71 Old 04-03-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
One of a number of reasons I don't get the whole Apple phenomenon. But I know I never will.
I don't have a problem with the Apple. If I thought it was better for what I wanted then I would buy it. At the moment I can't see the advantage.
AO Member

Member car:

2007 159 1.9jtdm

Don't get me wrong the Playbook is very good, but the lack of 10inches and 3G put me off, as someones already said the Playbook has been canned by RIM and Adobe are following and binning the Mobile Flash. If I was looking to buy again id have a stab at one and pair it with my phone but Id also have a look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Moto Xoom too, id rather pick one of those up second hand than for the price of Playbook new.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Have been contemplating getting an iPad2 for a while now. Was planning on buying one now, since I'm in the US. Then they went and decided to announce the iPad 3, but it's due on Wednesday and I fly back on Thursday.
iPad 2 is down to $449 for the 16GB up to $650 for the 64GB (that's about £125 saving).

Sorely tempted to visit the local Apple stor on Wednesday night...
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

As an alternative I got the Asus Transformer Prime a month ago. Fabulous product. Becomes a really good netbook with the optional detachable keyboard.

Eee Pad | Transformer Prime
(Post Link) post #12 of 71 Old 05-03-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th_Idiot View Post
As an alternative I got the Asus Transformer Prime a month ago. Fabulous product. Becomes a really good netbook with the optional detachable keyboard.

Eee Pad | Transformer Prime
Thanks,

I did see this advertised but wasn't sure if it wasn't more gimmicky than practical. Also it's a bit more than I wanted to spend.

The thing with the Playbook is that even if it's discontinued in 12 months it would last me another 12 beyond that so I would feel I've got my moneys worth out of it. It will also be about the time I will be able to change my phone so if they have gone out of business I might be able to get a Tablet & phone together.

In 2 years there will be a lot of changes to the Tablet market & hopefully things will have stabalised a bit. At the moment everybody & their dog is producing one.

Who knows by then IPAD5 might be out.

Craig

WITHOUT HEART WE WOULD BE MERE BMWs

SCOTTISH ITALIAN CAR DAY IS BACK! www.facebook/arocsicd
(Post Link) post #13 of 71 Old 05-03-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
Sorely tempted to visit the local Apple stor on Wednesday night...
Better join the queue now then.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CRED View Post
Better join the queue now then.
Bette get practising your cheering and "whopping" for every time someone comes out with their shiny new iPad!
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
iPad FTW, its just so fabulously easy to use
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
+1

(But then I am an Apple tart )
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
I use a MacBook Pro for work, and a Blackberry Bold 9900. Both utterly brilliant bits of kit in many, many ways. I tried an iPad2 for a few weeks and just didn't get it at all.

If I am not using the MacBook, then i use the BB. So why do I need something in-between? Just don't get it. So it went to another member of staff who thought it was Christmas and birthday all rolled into one!

Its a great piece of kit, but not sure as to the purpose and functionality of it.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynne71 View Post
I use a MacBook Pro for work, and a Blackberry Bold 9900. Both utterly brilliant bits of kit in many, many ways. I tried an iPad2 for a few weeks and just didn't get it at all.

If I am not using the MacBook, then i use the BB. So why do I need something in-between? Just don't get it. So it went to another member of staff who thought it was Christmas and birthday all rolled into one!

Its a great piece of kit, but not sure as to the purpose and functionality of it.
I bought 20 ipad 2 for sales and senior managers, some embrace them some don't, its difficult to see where it would benefit you initially but once you start getting some apps on there and it becomes instant access to lineof business data and apps its almost like losing a leg when its not there any more.

Ipads are very versatile bits of kit.
Graham P

Can't you get a Playbook for 12p now? I am a Blackberry fan as deal with them at work and own a Torch myself so I reckon the Playbook would suit me down to the ground but they have been a nightmare for RIM

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P View Post
Can't you get a Playbook for 12p now? I am a Blackberry fan as deal with them at work and own a Torch myself so I reckon the Playbook would suit me down to the ground but they have been a nightmare for RIM
I've had a bit of exposure to the playbook and personally i dont think its very good. I think part of the problem is that it has a crisis of identity, it doesnt know if its a toy or a business device.

The iPad doesn't have this its equally at home as a toy or a business device. Apple don't position the iPad as a toy or a business device, it's demographic independent which is one of the reasons why it is so successful (along with it being REALLY good).
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Since I've had my iPad 2, our laptop / netbook never gets used & our desktop seldom gets used.

Great bit of kit & getting better due to all the apps & the soon to be death of mobile flash.
(Post Link) post #22 of 71 Old 06-03-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Managed to get down to PC World this morning to have a little play. The main ones I tried were the IPad,Playbook & Galaxy.

In the 10 minutes or so I spent on each one I found them all fairly intuitive to use.

I think I'm going to pass on the IPad at the moment. I can't get past the thought that you're tied into one manufacturer.

So that leaves the Playbook & the Galaxy (maybe). The 2 differences between them seems to be the screen size & 3G connectivity. As far as screen size goes I was quite happy with both & to be honest didn't really see the difference. 3G connectivity is useful but if I read correctly then the Playbook can connect thought my Blackberry 3G to the Internet if there is no WiFi available.

As a good Scotsman I am still struggling to see past the prices so if I decide to dip my toe into the Tablet market I think I'll go with the Playbook. That said the new IPad tomorrow may be so stunning that I'll change my mind.
AO Member

Member car:

2007 159 1.9jtdm

Playbook can be bridged with your Blackberry and use its 3G connection, good idea by RIM although I'm sure if they had tried harder they could have come up with a 3G version, its just one way of them keeping the costs down when it was launched.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelancs View Post
bridged
The industry term is tethered
AO Member

Member car:

2007 159 1.9jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
The industry term is tethered
RIM and Playbooks term is bridged.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
tablet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page