Weird Broadband Problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

keithyboy

Weird Broadband Problems

I have Virgin cable broadband and it routinely delivers 8-10 meg through the wireless network in the (Belkin one about 4 years old). however, every so often it drops down to below 1 meg. It's the same on the ancient desktop, the newer desktop and the laptops. They are all regularly defragged and checked for malware so I'm sure it isn't that but it keeps happening.

I've discovered by connecting the laptop with a cable to the router that it isn't the cable it's the wireless network that's the issue. I've also discovered that connecting in this way seems to clear whatever the problem is and the speed comes right back up again and it's fine on all the computers. It's a safe bet that in a couple of weeks it'll do it again.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Congested airspace, if your wifi is on a/b or g it can get interference from things like microwaves or other wifi access points (neighbours) as they are in the same frequency range.

N does not suffer from this (yet) as the frequency it operates at is largely uncongested?

Have a look here for some idea of whatto look for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...nce_at_2.4_GHz

Hope this helps

Sean
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Congested airspace, if your wifi is on a/b or g it can get interference from things like microwaves or other wifi access points (neighbours) as they are in the same frequency range.

N does not suffer from this (yet) as the frequency it operates at is largely uncongested?

Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps

Sean
Interesting stuff. The fact that the wireless antenna on this computer picks up 12 different routers probably isn't a big help then?

Cheers mate.

Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post

Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps

Sean
Yup, I've noticed my WiFi drop off when using the phone or laptop in the kitchen when the microwave is on.

CobolMan

My neighbours had problems with external Christmas lights - it caused enough interference to bring their broadband to a standstill.
Try changing the channel on your router.

spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
i think most routers default to lower channels, try one of the higher numbers 11 - 14. this could help if it's a combination of interference from other routers and equipment. Still wont help you chat on AO while your micro noodles are cooking.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Interesting stuff. The fact that the wireless antenna on this computer picks up 12 different routers probably isn't a big help then?

Cheers mate.
Happy to help
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

CCNA Question. Metal filing cabinets, Microwaves and cordless phones was the answer

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
broadband , problems , weird

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page