ADSL 1 or 2...Oh and recommend me a... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 16-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Conwy
Hmmm ADSL 1 or 2...Oh and recommend me a...

... Wireless Router, please

My trusty old Netgear DG824M is on its last legs. Had it for about 10 years now and never had any problems with security or connectivity - until the last 4 months or so. The wireless connection keeps dropping every now and then. A quick power down solves the problem and all works fine again for maybe a day, two days or a week. Plus, every power down means manually changing the printer settings on every laptop or wireless computer in the house, so that people can print again

I'm quite taken by the new Netgear DGND3700 N600 but it only works on ASDL 2+ connections and I'm having a hell of a job trying to establish which version I'm connecting through. (My ISP was Lineone, which was sold to Tiscali, which was then sold to TalkTalk. Yes, I'm a loyal customer. I've never had any issues whatsoever with my provider, so I would prefer to stay with them and chose a different router, if it means they're not using ADSL 2+)

Any ideas or recommendations would be gratefully appreciated

TIA

155 2.0TS Super 166 2.5 V6 156 2.0 JTS Turismo

PS3: Jipper
XBL: Darth Dionysus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

You must be one of the lucky ones with the netgear DG824M, Mine lasted a month or so then started doing the updown crap.

Netgear isn't the best choice TBH for routers and if you have the choice to choose your own I'd go for a D Link or Linksys

D-Link Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ Modem Router (DSL-2680/UK) - www.misco.co.uk

You can get higher spec ones, but these are good for the cash.

Cisco Linksys X2000 Advanced Wireless-N 300Mbps ADSL2+ Router []
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 16-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Cheers

Cisco have a good Rep but this model only appears to have 3 ports? I use all four currently (PC, Printer, XBOX and PS3).

Plus, they're all ASDL 2+, so until I can figure out what version I'm connecting through, I'm stuffed

Do you use D-Link? I never seem to read good reviews about them - I suppose every company knocks out Friday products though

Thanks dude
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

The Dlink shown it was ADSL and ADSL2 compliant

I have a Dlink, sky branded one though, our previous sky router was the netgear and it's a much improved router, better range also
CobolMan

Icheb, take a look at this - Billion Bipac 7800N.

I've had mine for 15 months now and it's absolutely ace. It's suitable for ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+ and you can plug a cable modem into it too. Mine's been rock solid and it increased my connection and download speeds by over 25%. It's not the cheapest out there but you get what you pay for.

(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 16-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobolMan View Post
Icheb, take a look at this - Billion Bipac 7800N.

I've had mine for 15 months now and it's absolutely ace. It's suitable for ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+ and you can plug a cable modem into it too. Mine's been rock solid and it increased my connection and download speeds by over 25%. It's not the cheapest out there but you get what you pay for.
That looks very good actually. Give or take a £1, it's the same price as the Netgear - just lacking in some of the extra features though. Would I miss them if I bought this instead of the Netgear? I guess what you never had, you never miss.

Good all round reviews as well, which is promising.

Cheers dude
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheb View Post
Cheers

Cisco have a good Rep but this model only appears to have 3 ports? I use all four currently (PC, Printer, XBOX and PS3).

Plus, they're all ASDL 2+, so until I can figure out what version I'm connecting through, I'm stuffed

Do you use D-Link? I never seem to read good reviews about them - I suppose every company knocks out Friday products though

Thanks dude
PS3 can be used wireless... Saves on one of the ports - I've had mine wireless for a few years now and had no issues with the wireless link on-line gaming.
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 17-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
PS3 can be used wireless... Saves on one of the ports - I've had mine wireless for a few years now and had no issues with the wireless link on-line gaming.
Yep, I know fella. Mine was wireless too for a while

The reason I went hard wired was purely and simply down to running out of MAC filtering space for trusted devices. My router only allows for 15 devices and they're all used.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheb View Post
Yep, I know fella. Mine was wireless too for a while

The reason I went hard wired was purely and simply down to running out of MAC filtering space for trusted devices. My router only allows for 15 devices and they're all used.
lol Fair enough. I'm still under 10 devices on mine
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
If you want to future proof yourself and want a top quality router then Draytek Vigor 2830 range is where you should be looking. Pricey but it supports ADSL 1&2 and has a WAN Ethernet port which can be used when you can get fibre or if you move to a cable area. Various models available with / without wireless and with / without VOIP port. Look at Wireless Router, ADSL Router/Modem, Broadband Router, VoIP, NAS | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk for the full range.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
2oh , adsl , recommend

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page