Scheduling Internet - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 29-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Scheduling Internet

Hope some one can help me with this, as it's not something I've ever actually done before.

A friend has become worried about the amount of time she spends online lately, she's noticed that with her new laptop (she used to use the library for net access) she can easily waste most of the day online and doesn't like it. As she isn't very good at controlling herself with it, she's asked for my help.

What I'd like to do is set up her router to shutdown net access during the day as she wants, and only give her access in the evening from around 7pm until around 11-12. Which is what she wants.

It's a Sky router, one of the black ones... not sure if these are rebranded netgear ones. It's the same as I have for my net.

Now I know my way around computers, it's what I've been doing for the last 10yrs to earn a living. But I cannot get this damn router to schedule it.

I've been testing it on mine, and still had net access both within and outside the scheduled time frame. I can access it via my PC and my phone. The PC is cabled, the phone wireless.

It's not something I've ever needed to do before, is there an easier way to do it? She's on Win 7... Won't know if it's 32/64 or specs of laptop until thurs/fri when I see her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

The very easy option is to get a plug timer.

The Sky routers are very limited in their function, I doubt if they'd do what you want.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

The black sky router is a D-Link, but as bobda suggests there's not much you can do with it.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
I'd tell her to get a grip on reality and take some responsibility for her actions.

Any technological hampering you do will NOT address the root cause.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Really winds me up with Sky that you're locked in to their default kit and can't use your own router etc without substantial hacking (if at all). Anyway...

Assuming the router is the same boggo black one they send out to everyone these days:

1) Point a browser to http://192.168.0.1
2) Login with username admin and password sky
3) Go to security at the top, then Firewall Rules. Set up new rules for both inbound and outbound traffic that close everything off.
4) Go to Security at the top again, then Schedule.
5) At the bottom of the screen, uncheck 'All Day' and select a start and end time for internet use on the newly created Firewall rules (24hour clock format).

Apply changes and voila.

AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
The black sky router is a D-Link, but as bobda suggests there's not much you can do with it.

Or a Sagem.
They can be restored to the normal non Sky firmware but be careful.
Plenty on Google about them.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Are they still distributing the Sagem?
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
Are they still distributing the Sagem?
Don't know. Mine is now over 3 years old. Probably not.
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 31-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiscix View Post
Really winds me up with Sky that you're locked in to their default kit and can't use your own router etc without substantial hacking (if at all). Anyway...

Assuming the router is the same boggo black one they send out to everyone these days:

1) Point a browser to http://192.168.0.1
2) Login with username admin and password sky
3) Go to security at the top, then Firewall Rules. Set up new rules for both inbound and outbound traffic that close everything off.
4) Go to Security at the top again, then Schedule.
5) At the bottom of the screen, uncheck 'All Day' and select a start and end time for internet use on the newly created Firewall rules (24hour clock format).

Apply changes and voila.

Thanks, that's working great... I wasn't applying a firewall rule, just the schedule.

Cheers.
AO Gold Member

County: Principe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I'd tell her to get a grip on reality and take some responsibility for her actions...

(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 02-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I'd tell her to get a grip on reality and take some responsibility for her actions.

Any technological hampering you do will NOT address the root cause.

The root cause is a health one, she suffers from depression and feels a little isolated because she doesn't drive and public transport isn't great.

However... when her internet was down for a few weeks a few months ago... She noticed that she wasn't sitting around the house on the laptop all day, but was making more of an effort to go out.

So I'm going to schedule her internet to only be available in the evening, and make sure the default password is changed on the router... and we'll see if that gives her the desired kick up the backside to get her out the door.

Some people need a little push, a little incentive and this may do it... or it may not. She's already considering (if this doesn't work) getting rid of her laptop and going back to occasional use of the PC's at her local library.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
internet , scheduling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page