BT telephone line - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 26-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire
BT telephone line

hi all ,could someone tell me if i can have braodband internet without using a landline,the reason is that we have 5 mobiles in the house and we still get landline bills(bloody kids)i was thinking of scrapping the landline ??????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
If u get decent 3g coverage you could use a usb mobile internet dongle. Your other option is to use wireless but again thats dependant on there being a wireless provider in your area.
For 3g there are 3g coverage checkers available online or alternatively if you have a3g enabled phone you could check if you get a 3g signal
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
3G isn't really broadband, its fairly slow and has poor QoS (Quality of Service) you should be looking at HSDPA/HSUPA dongle for a single machine, if you have multiple machines you can buy home network routers that will accept a USB HSDPA/HSUPA dongle as the internet connectivity like this.

DrayTek Vigor2830 ADSL Router, Firewall and VPN Device

Price it up, if the cost of the dongle and plan and the router cost less than the cost of your landline and broadband package over say 2 years then its worth doing.

If not stick with your landline and broadband.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 27-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
3G isn't really broadband, its fairly slow and has poor QoS (Quality of Service) you should be looking at HSDPA/HSUPA dongle for a single machine, if you have multiple machines you can buy home network routers that will accept a USB HSDPA/HSUPA dongle as the internet connectivity like this.

DrayTek Vigor2830 ADSL Router, Firewall and VPN Device

Price it up, if the cost of the dongle and plan and the router cost less than the cost of your landline and broadband package over say 2 years then its worth doing.

If not stick with your landline and broadband.
thanks Mr Ghosty ,i checked out the 3 g thingy and the area coverage and it is not suitable,i guess i will have to cost the landline against other,its a pity bt will not just supply a broadband connection on its own,i will look into it thanks

Last edited by lottylotus; 27-01-12 at 10:27.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottylotus View Post
thanks Mr Ghosty ,i checked out the 3 g thingy and the area coverage and it is not suitable,i guess i will have to cost the landline against other,its a pity bt will not just supply a broadband connection on its own,i will look into it thanks
Can't you get BT to block outgoing calls? Then you will only have to pay for the line rental, the 'payment processing fee', the 'late payment charge' (if you don't pay within one working day of getting a bill) and of course the VAT. Not forgetting the £150 charge should you call them out to investigate a line fault and they decree it's your problem entirely at their own discretion.

You gotta love BT. Or not, as the case may be.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 27-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilzAlfa View Post
Can't you get BT to block outgoing calls? Then you will only have to pay for the line rental, the 'payment processing fee', the 'late payment charge' (if you don't pay within one working day of getting a bill) and of course the VAT. Not forgetting the £150 charge should you call them out to investigate a line fault and they decree it's your problem entirely at their own discretion.

You gotta love BT. Or not, as the case may be.
and the £3 per month fee they charge for allowing me to use the outgoing blocking service.i guess the only way is to hide the phone(remember the little locks you could get in the seventies that clamped on the phone dial (no wonder my dad went bold
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Virgin media and have a standalone data package (normally on a fibre optic line)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Audi S6 5.2 V10

You can get satellite broadband from around £15 per month but the equipment costs around £300 so over 2 years works out slightly more than BT.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
and the £3 per month fee they charge for allowing me to use the outgoing blocking service
Oh really?
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
and the £3 per month fee they charge for allowing me to use the outgoing blocking service.i guess the only way is to hide the phone(remember the little locks you could get in the seventies that clamped on the phone dial (no wonder my dad went bold
or, unplug the phones and put them in the bin... if there isn't a phone there nobody can use it.
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
or, unplug the phones and put them in the bin... if there isn't a phone there nobody can use it.
Very good point Sean. I have a BT landline for the SKY and SKY broadband, but use my mobile for all calls..........in fact, I dont even think the old land phone is even in the loft, I'm sure it was binned a while back.

Also, there is always an old mobile available for emergencies if my fruit goes off

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I ditched my BT landline a few months back.

Now have Virgin media internet on cable with no phone.

£21 a month all in...

We have mobiles as well so no need for a landline which was costing us £15 per month on top of the internet charge.
V6Hughes

Have you tried giving the kids a bollocking?

AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Quote:
If I was the kid I'd have sorted a phone out for myself (did similar things)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
line , telephone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page