A bit of IT help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

keithyboy

A bit of IT help

My PC has developed a bit of a problem whereby it is taking it forever to start up. It gets to the user login page as normal but when you click ona user it is taking forever to login and when you do, you initially only get the wallpaper with no icons and it won't do anything.

After 2-3 minutes the icons appear and it runs as normal. Nothing new has been installed and nothing has been removed.

So far I've:

1. Done a system restore back to a point before the problem started
2. Chacked for viruses and Malware
3. Made sure nothing is running at startup using msconfig

None of this has made any difference.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LincsKris

I take it you have used the disc cleanup tools? What Anti virus are you running?

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
What computer?
How much RAM?
How much free disk space?
What operating system?
Do you run updates manually or automatically?
What anti virus are you using?
Does it boot up more slowly on Tuesday/Wednesday?

Once you've answered those, I'd suggest running ccleaner. After that, maybe a bit of tweaking of the services might be the order of the day. (assuming it's a PC)
keithyboy

What computer? An ancient Dell
How much RAM? 1gb I think (same as it had on sunday when it was working fine)
How much free disk space? It's only got 80gb but 3ogb is free
What operating system? XP
Do you run updates manually or automatically? Automatically
What anti virus are you using? Avast and anti-malwarebytes
Does it boot up more slowly on Tuesday/Wednesday? So far it's Monday and tuesday.

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

A defrag may help. Worth a try
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Create a new user account, log in using that account, if there are no problems its more than likely some profile corruption and/or registry problems.

Something is waiting on a timeout before launching explorer.exe you can test this by immediately opening task manager after logging in from the ctrl alt del screen option then select run from the menu and type in explorer.exe and hit enter.

If your icons and task bar appear almost immediately, then its certainly something not working quite right before explorer is initialised.

If the new profile works fine port your data across to that and use it. If not its more likely to be a system issue.

Hope this helps

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Garage
Start Task manager (as above), then click on the Processes tab, scroll down and see what application is using up all your CPU power, then do a search on google to see how to fix it. I once had a document waiting to print in the background that made my lappy behave like yours.

Failing that try downloading 'Super anti-spyware' and running that to clear any ad-ware programs and getting a good anti-virus program like Avast or AVG.
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Create a new user account, log in using that account, if there are no problems its more than likely some profile corruption and/or registry problems.

Something is waiting on a timeout before launching explorer.exe you can test this by immediately opening task manager after logging in from the ctrl alt del screen option then select run from the menu and type in explorer.exe and hit enter.

If your icons and task bar appear almost immediately, then its certainly something not working quite right before explorer is initialised.

If the new profile works fine port your data across to that and use it. If not its more likely to be a system issue.

Hope this helps
That was a big help!

I created a new user and it seems to work fine.

I tried running explorer from task manager as you suggested and it made no difference. From the point where my wallpaper appears it takes 1 minute 45 secs for the icons and task bar to appear.

If I log off the new user and log in as me, it does it normally.

I'm going to test the new user over the weekend then switch to that I think.

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
That was a big help!

I created a new user and it seems to work fine.

I tried running explorer from task manager as you suggested and it made no difference. From the point where my wallpaper appears it takes 1 minute 45 secs for the icons and task bar to appear.

If I log off the new user and log in as me, it does it normally.

I'm going to test the new user over the weekend then switch to that I think.
Sounds like something is very badly screwed with that profile then, glad I could help

Sean

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > The Technology Section

Tags
bit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page