Freeview HD PVR - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 08-01-12 Thread Starter
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Freeview HD PVR

Today, I ditched $ky. I was paying 72 a month and I only ever really watched two of non-free channels (SS1 and SS2). They didn't even offer me a discount to stay - last time I threatened to quit I got half price everything for 6 months (I'd already been on a half price deal from when I signed up for 12 months).

So to replace it I've ordered a Humax HDR Fox-T2 for twin tuner Freeview HD goodness and if I feel the need to watch SS1 or SS2 I can get a CF+ module and subscribe to Top Up TV on a pay as you go basis.

The Humax looks like a good box - loads of toys including DLNA as well as iplayer etc and Humax have trialled Sky Player so I could get a standalone Sky Go sub for sports etc. There's also a really good community with custom firmware available to keep my inner-geek busy.

As they were trying to talk me into staying, I mentioned that I was just going to get a Freeview or Freesat HD box for 200 or so which the Sky CS rep said "That's quite expensive". "Only as much as three months of Sky" was my response...

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

CobolMan

We've got one of those and it's very good, much better than the Topfield it replaced. I've not tried the TV Portal yet as the dongles are never in stock on the Humax website - I'm not sure whether the portal includes Sky Player though.

County: Cork
Garage
Has Sky been added to the swear filter

I guess not

Hope you are happy with the Humax, sounds like it's a good bit of kit & that it'll give you a few options to let you watch what you want
(Post Link) post #4 of 38 Old 08-01-12 Thread Starter
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobolMan View Post
We've got one of those and it's very good, much better than the Topfield it replaced. I've not tried the TV Portal yet as the dongles are never in stock on the Humax website - I'm not sure whether the portal includes Sky Player though.
The portal did include Sky Player as a beta test and apparently it worked well but it has now been withdrawn. Thankfully those hacky geeks at hummy.tv have developed a version of the firmware that allows Sky Player to be used for the time being...
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

You won't go wrong with Humax, they are brilliant machines, and their customer service and support is excellent too. We have been using Freeview Twin Tuner Humax Digital PVR's for many Years now, and highly recommend them.........
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I am thinking of upgrading my satellite receiver to a HD one.

Can the Humax boxes pick up foreign channels?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
what exactly can you watch with these things that I can't with my freeview built in TV? genuine guessie
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
what exactly can you watch with these things that I can't with my freeview built in TV? genuine guessie
unless your built in also has a hard drive, and twin tuners you can.

Watch a channel whilst recording a channel
Record two programmes on at the same time
pause, record and rewind live tv
if its internet connected you get augmented information about what you are watching

They are pretty good, my Dad bought one in November time, I set it up in a few minutes, there aren;t many freeview HD channels but I think its worth it for BBC HD Alone, the natural history stuff they have on looks stunning in HD.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
Today, I ditched $ky. I was paying 72 a month and I only ever really watched two of non-free channels (SS1 and SS2). They didn't even offer me a discount to stay - last time I threatened to quit I got half price everything for 6 months (I'd already been on a half price deal from when I signed up for 12 months).

So to replace it I've ordered a Humax HDR Fox-T2 for twin tuner Freeview HD goodness and if I feel the need to watch SS1 or SS2 I can get a CF+ module and subscribe to Top Up TV on a pay as you go basis.

The Humax looks like a good box - loads of toys including DLNA as well as iplayer etc and Humax have trialled Sky Player so I could get a standalone Sky Go sub for sports etc. There's also a really good community with custom firmware available to keep my inner-geek busy.

As they were trying to talk me into staying, I mentioned that I was just going to get a Freeview or Freesat HD box for 200 or so which the Sky CS rep said "That's quite expensive". "Only as much as three months of Sky" was my response...

I think you made a good choice. Whenever I'm asked about Freeview recorders I always point out that none of them are bug free, but Humax is the best of the bunch. Unlike most other manufacturers, Humax do actually provide regular, automatic software updates and do seem to care about their customers. If you find anything about the box you don't like, it's worth taking a stroll to

Showbiz, entertainment and media news - Digital Spy

and adding your comment to the Freeview recorder section under Humax. Humax actually read this forum and have fixed many bugs pointed out by forum members. Can't ask for more than that really
EddieGTA

It is a nice little box. I have that and the Fressat non PVR version and both work really well.

Mine is out of action at the moment due to the aerial/distribution in the flats playing up. Probably going to hang on to the switch over in April and see if the signal boost sorts things out.

Durty dog

I dumped sky almost a year ago due to their poor customer service and increasing costs. At the moment i have virgin media which is costing 30 per month but after looking at this thread i am going to look into this freeview system.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
I dumped sky almost a year ago due to their poor customer service and increasing costs. At the moment i have virgin media which is costing 30 per month but after looking at this thread i am going to look into this freeview system.
We have Virgin Media as well, but the Humax Freeview Twin Tuner gives us a MUCH more varied way to record and watch anything at any time, so I would consider the Freeview as an addition, rather than a total replacement for Virgin Media, especially if you have a V+Plus box as well, which we find brilliant all round.........
EddieGTA

When I moved into my flat I thought I would get sky, but never got round to it. And I really don't miss it. When I go to my parents and watch sky the only difference is, there are more channels of rubbish to flick through.

Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13roy View Post
We have Virgin Media as well, but the Humax Freeview Twin Tuner gives us a MUCH more varied way to record and watch anything at any time, so I would consider the Freeview as an addition, rather than a total replacement for Virgin Media, especially if you have a V+Plus box as well, which we find brilliant all round.........
We have the V+ samsung box and i must admit it is a good system with loads of channels.

The freeview would be a good addition to the bedroom as i can't seem to find equipment to multi room the vigin.

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post

Here's the Channel list, seems like a lot more than you get on Freeview although I'm told that a lot of them are pretty dire.

Thinking of going for it though.

freesat Channels - Free Satellite, HD & Radio Channels - freesat
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
Yer right there does seem a lot but its only via those dishy doodars isnt it?
Durty dog

its not a bad channel line up but there is some rubbish on there, Renault tv!!!!

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
Why were you paying 72 per month, bobda?

I pay 15 per month plus another 10 for an extra box in our bedroom.

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacool View Post
Yer right there does seem a lot but its only via those dishy doodars isnt it?
Yes - beware of confusing Freeview (via aerial) with Freesat (via satellite dish).

To make things simple, Humax have named their receivers:

HDR-FOXT2 (Freeview)
FOXSAT-HDR (Freesat)

Not sure what they were thinking of really The products are good though
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
To be honest I think Freesat's a waste of money if you're getting the full Freeview service. Lots of channels, yes, but 95% of them are garbage.

We're on a local relay with limited bandwidth so we only get a limited range of Freeview channels; Freesat fills some, but not all, of the gaps.
(Post Link) post #21 of 38 Old 09-01-12 Thread Starter
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Why were you paying 72 per month, bobda?

I pay 15 per month plus another 10 for an extra box in our bedroom.
Because I had the Sky World package with HD and ESPN.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
Blimey

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
Because I had the Sky World package with HD and ESPN.
Wifey must love sport then
(Post Link) post #24 of 38 Old 09-01-12 Thread Starter
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Wifey must love sport then
I live in a shared house. It's me and one other bloke.

PS - she does.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

I've got a Panasonic DMR-XS350, it's s DVD recorder with a harddrive + duel HD freesat tuners, I keep meaning to hook the dish up to it, but need to source a octo LNB.

Anyone used one of these as a HD freesat tuner? It did belong to my folks, but again just used as a DVD player

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
freeview , pvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page