Which Netbook? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 57 Old 02-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Which Netbook?

I'm thinking of buying a 10.1" (-ish) Netbook in the 200-250 price range.

It will be used mainly for web browsing & email when we're away from home, together with occasional photo viewing (but not editing) & as a second computer to avoid the "how long are you going to be" arguments at home.

My requirements therefore are:

good wi-fi connectivity
solid, robust build
good battery life
keyboard with good "feel".
SD card slot (Xd is possible, but not essential).

Fast graphics & good sound quality are not important.

So (), any recommendations or, probably more important, warnings as to products to avoid?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Lincolnshire
I have a HP netbook. I suppose I wanted one as small/compact and has been more than adequate for my needs. No problems whatsoever with it

Last edited by divadiva; 02-01-12 at 17:26. Reason: Typo!
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
I use a Samsung for when i am on my travels. Had it for about a year its been top draw.
Get one for about 250
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
We've got a really nice Acer Aspire but since we've had the iPad, it's been gathering dust.

I strongly suggest that you look at an iPad. It ticks all of your boxes but will have a battery that'll do almost 3 times what a netbook will do & will trounce it in terms of usability & portability

An office type suite of programs are readilly available and there are superp photo & video editing apps too. None of these are expensive.

You can add a BT or fixed keyboard if you can't cope with the screen but I doubt very much you'd she'll out after using one.

Simon

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I strongly suggest that you look at an iPad...
Really? On a 200-250 budget!

I've used four different brands over the last 2 years. Asus EEE PC and Samsung are definitely the best IMO.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
Really? On a 200-250 budget!

I've used four different brands over the last 2 years. Asus EEE PC and Samsung are definitely the best IMO.
If op can stretch there budget i'd agree, ipad just gets better and better, i havent touched my home laptop in months and any power use is done on my desktop with a Myriad connectivity options and more power.

Plus if you get one on a contract it works everywhere

Whats not to like?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
The boss has a Samsung that we bought a year ago. Great little thing - about 8 hours battery life, good connectivity, and it's possible to hack the Win7 software to allow the screen resolution to increase enough for it to run some photography stuff.

...but, I've been contemplating buying her an overpriced piece of fruit (Air) in the future, as it's thinner and should take a bit more of the abuse she throws at it.
(Post Link) post #8 of 57 Old 03-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I strongly suggest that you look at an iPad. It ticks all of your boxes but will have a battery that'll do almost 3 times what a netbook will do & will trounce it in terms of usability & portability
I'm struggling to see how an iPad "ticks all of my boxes".

Is it a net book? No
Is it in the 200-250 price range? No
Does it have a keyboard with good "feel"? No, it doesn't have a keyboard.
Does it have an SD card slot? No - not even a USB port.

Not many ticks there! Apple? No thanks!

Quote:
An office type suite of programs are readilly available and there are superp photo & video editing apps too. None of these are expensive.
More expensive than the free Windows software that's even more readily available - a moot point as I don't really need them!

I've looked at tablets, netbooks & full-size laptops; for what I need a netbook is the best compromise, so the question is quite simply which netbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Whats not to like?
An expensive solution to a simple problem?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Audi S6 5.2 V10

I know you said no to tablets but after using my sisters netbook for a while im really not a fan; for me its like using a poorly equiped laptop.

Have you considered a Blackberry tablet?

You can pick one up for around 170 and one of these for 25 for a better keyboard feel - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-...item3f0f065f4e

28_004.jpg
AO Gold Member

County: Principe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I'm struggling to see how an iPad "ticks all of my boxes".

Is it a net book? No
Is it in the 200-250 price range? No
Does it have a keyboard with good "feel"? No, it doesn't have a keyboard.
Does it have an SD card slot? No - not even a USB port.

Not many ticks there! Apple? No thanks!

More expensive than the free Windows software that's even more readily available - a moot point as I don't really need them!

I've looked at tablets, netbooks & full-size laptops; for what I need a netbook is the best compromise, so the question is quite simply which netbook.

An expensive solution to a simple problem?
Got to at that response, who creates the iHaters I wonder?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryrs View Post
I know you said no to tablets but after using my sisters netbook for a while im really not a fan; for me its like using a poorly equiped laptop.

Have you considered a Blackberry tablet?

You can pick one up for around 170 and one of these for 25 for a better keyboard feel - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-...item3f0f065f4e

Attachment 132180
They are not very good
(Post Link) post #12 of 57 Old 05-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Right now I'm holding back from purchasing as the third-generation Intel Atom processors are becoming available, so I'll see how the market progresses over the next couple of months.
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Dave - if you're after something cheap then I have a Compaq Mini 110c which isn't being used (got a Macbook now). It's got Ubuntu installed on it which runs very well. It's about 2 years old (this model) and it's all in good working order and great condition - has a little netbook bag with it. I've upgraded it from 1 to 2Gb of RAM.

PM me if you're interested.
AO Silver Member

Garage
I havent yet seen an net book that is even half decent. Even Lenovo are making the flimsy little things which fail after 1 year.

In my opinion a Laptop or netbook should last 5 - 8 Years. We have turned into such a throw away nation and things are going to have to change soon.

Manufacturers know exactly how to make things last, they choose not to nowadays.

A net book will never replace a full laptop and usually only good for having one website open at a time.

The smallest laptop i'd recommend is a 12.1" 2510p which were over 1200 new and dual core & still 'whip the ass' of a slow new Atom net book. They have built in DVD Writer, 2GB Ram, 120GB 1.8" Ipod hard disk and are Really well made.

You can pick them up for 170 or so now - unbelievable!

HP Compaq 2510p ultraportable laptop PC - PC Advisor

Remember - any laptops new in shops designed to fail, Business Laptops designed to last!

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior
(Post Link) post #15 of 57 Old 10-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop_Matt View Post
A net book will never replace a full laptop and usually only good for having one website open at a time.
In other words, entirely suitable for my intended use. For something that will in reality see very little use I can live with cheap & cheerful. It's a bit like buying a second car that will only be used for occasional shopping trips - I don't need a Ferrari, a little Korean hatchback will do the job.

Looks like I'm in a small, rapidly-declining minority whose needs are met by netbooks!
AO Silver Member

Garage
Yep fine for that,

I see people buying them as cheap laptops and trying to do everything on them.

I always compare laptops to cars too, only seems to help the blokes understand though
AO Platinum Member

Ive got a pile of hp 2133 netbooks at work we dont use anymore, very robust little machines but screen size doesnt relly cut it.
V6Hughes

I have a Samsung net book. I'd never buy another.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Hughes View Post
I have a Samsung net book. I'd never buy another.
Me too, serves a purpose, all I do is watch films on it in my lorry but its slow and not very responsive. I occasionally go on the net on it at home but my phone is quicker. Should have spent another few squid and got a full size one but depends on your needs I suppose.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Right now I'm holding back from purchasing as the third-generation Intel Atom processors are becoming available, so I'll see how the market progresses over the next couple of months.
I have a HP DM1 running the AMD E450 with ATI Radeon graphics, its often on offer at 270

Decent CPU speed and unlike Intel decent Graphics chip, runs for 5-7 hours on a charge, multitasks well, I run many tabs with flash and virtual machine with no bother, in down time it'll even do some gaming like Dead Island at near console level quality (not high level like my games PC but good enough to enjoy, plus there is always onlive if you want that sort of thing on a netbook though I suppose)

I'd recommend it, great usable netbook with a decent screen that doesn't completely washout on tilting like the Lenovo x121e I had before it (broke after 5hrs)

Quote:
Looks like I'm in a small, rapidly-declining minority whose needs are met by netbooks!
You are not alone, netbook does all I need for general use, just upgraded my 2+yr old eeepc to this DM1 the upgrade was primarily because flash was bringing my eeepc 1000H to its knees and the 1024x600 res was a bit restrictive, this machine is a whole other level though I will admit its not as well built as my 1000H which is like a childs toy and just wouldn't die, the HP is good enough though.

Does everything I want from a portable system, far more than an ipad could manage.

Last edited by sandys; 18-01-12 at 22:32.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

I was in Currys or Dixons or whatever they are called and was almost buying one of those. HP DM1. The specs seemed fine and the listing on the card said it came with a DVD rewriter so would have been ideal to put office on for the times my wife wants to work downstairs rather than up in the spare room on the main laptop.
Good price as well.

Get my card out and the guy brings the box to the counter. I ask about the DVD writer, "Is it included in the box?"

He sheepishly says , "they've been onto head offfice loads to get them to send a new card as it's wrong."

"So do I get an external DVD?"

"No" is his answer

Bye bye was my response. Muppet.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/group...fa+owners.html

also on ****ter @alfamack
Will always be
No 1
on the GIT LIST
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I rarely go to any of the PCW stores unless they have a very good offer on as that is all-too often the problem... They've also been the cause of 2 wasted trips to a further away store (and I did phone on the way the second time) when ordering stuff via their website where it said "plenty in stock" to find there was none in stock...

There are usually (although not always) better deals to be had at Scan (more for components), laptopsdirect (got my Ferrari from them 5+ years ago and it still does the job), ebuyer (I had less success with their quality of service but I know others who swear by them). In the cases of Scan and (I think) LaptopsDirect, they have a counter service should you need face to face, and Scan are excellent when things need repairing (especially when they are so close to me). I'm not sure about ebuyer. The one on-line retailer I won't deal with anymore is Dabs. Had a couple of bad run-ins with their non-existent "we're only on-line" customer service despite having used them in the past... Prices are decent enough but any problems are not dealt with sufficiently well... I suspect it started changing around the time the founder sold it to BT.

Last edited by AmicusPro; 20-01-12 at 00:00.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Noticed alot of stores doing that over the past few years

They advertise a very cheap deal to entice customers and then when they turn up the only 10 they ever had in stock have gone and the customer buys the next more expensive model with surprisingly 2000 in stock.

spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
I've been wanting to get a netbook for a while but the money seems to go on other bills.
From what i've researched samsung have great battery life and keyboards. Microsoft make it a requirement that all netbooks ship with 1GB RAM so would get one of them then hit crucial.com and up it to 2GB.

not sure if samsung have started making them with the dual core atoms yet.
spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
I've been wanting to get a netbook for a while but the money seems to go on other bills.
From what i've researched samsung have great battery life and keyboards. Microsoft make it a requirement that all netbooks ship with 1GB RAM so would get one of them then hit crucial.com and up it to 2GB.

not sure if samsung have started making them with the dual core atoms yet.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
netbook

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page