Laptop recommendations please. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

Mymatemarmite

Wave Laptop recommendations please.

Right folks, I'm looking to buy a laptop in the New Year.

I know very little about computers, and 99% of the time I post here, browse the net, order tickets etc from my phone. However, I need to replace a very old and slow laptop.

I'll use it mainly to store photographs.....quite a few, well, thousands (motorsport photography is a hobby of mine), and general web browsing. I'll also stick my iTunes account on there, but currently I only have around 600 songs in my account.

Screen display quality is important to me because of my photos....and I don't really want to break past the £400 mark. I'm not someone who has any idea of how to 'upgrade the performance' of a computer/laptop, so something with enough memory for several years to come would be good.

I think that covers my requirements...pretty basic really.

Now I ask you good folk....what would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

As it comes is adequate for what you want, id potentially upgrade to 3 yr warranty though
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

As it comes is adequate for what you want, id potentially upgrade to 3 yr warranty though
There are some interesting options there....something for consideration, cheers Sean

AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Garage
I got my Acer 5732z over a year ago from Tesco for £400. It has a 500gb Hard drive, 4gb RAM and a dual core Pentuim processor (approx the same spec as the newer i3 now), not sure of the screen resolution, but it's very good and I watch films on it all the time; which I would say is more than adequate for your requirements.

The only thing mine lacks which I would suggest on a new laptop is a HDMI port, then you can easily plug it into your TV for your pictures/movie's.
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-kash View Post
I got my Acer 5732z over a year ago from Tesco for £400. It has a 500gb Hard drive, 4gb RAM and a dual core Pentuim processor (approx the same spec as the newer i3 now), not sure of the screen resolution, but it's very good and I watch films on it all the time; which I would say is more than adequate for your requirements.

The only thing mine lacks which I would suggest on a new laptop is a HDMI port, then you can easily plug it into your TV for your pictures/movie's.
Cheers buddy

A colleague bought an Acer very recently and raved about it

AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside
Had my acer 5315 3 or 4 years now, been superb, god knows if it will do what you want mind and i am sure it has been superceded but does everything i want......
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Ill never have acer again, had a pile of laptops that had broken just after a year old and out of warranty at work, they may be okay if hey arent moved about a lot but they leverage savings in the construction against a good spec which can ultmately cause issues, any laptop you chose should not flex when you pick it up, this is very bad for the internal components.
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Ill never have acer again, had a pile of laptops that had broken just after a year old and out of warranty at work, they may be okay if hey arent moved about a lot but they leverage savings in the construction against a good spec which can ultmately cause issues, any laptop you chose should not flex when you pick it up, this is very bad for the internal components.
Hmmm....interesting......more pondering for me I think

Unregistered

County: Lancashire
Whatever you get treat yourself to one of these to keep your laptop memory free

My Passport Essential SE 1 TB - 5.0 Gbps (SuperSpeed USB)

I got one about a year ago they're brilliant for picture storage
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Man View Post
Whatever you get treat yourself to one of these to keep your laptop memory free

My Passport Essential SE 1 TB - 5.0 Gbps (SuperSpeed USB)

I got one about a year ago they're brilliant for picture storage
Cheers matey.....advice noted

Mymatemarmite

This is the one my colleague has....a nice saving too.

ACER ACELXRR902013.Laptops at Comet

What do you think??

AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
This is the one my colleague has....a nice saving too.

ACER ACELXRR902013.Laptops at Comet

What do you think??
Spec looks good to me, but I don't really know the in's and out's of different processors. From what I can tell the Celeron B800 is a Dual Core and was released in 2011, so I'm sure it's fit for the purpose.
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-kash View Post
Spec looks good to me, but I don't really know the in's and out's of different processors. From what I can tell the Celeron B800 is a Dual Core and was released in 2011, so I'm sure it's fit for the purpose.
I've looked at a few at just under £300, but for the extra £70 this seems to do all I will need and more, and plenty of storage for my photos. It also has the much mentioned HDMI port.

I reckon this is the one I'll go for........I just need to persuade my wallet to open up now.....that's easier said than done

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Please don't be pulled in by large amounts of ram, I'm constantly telling people about bottlenecking components, go for something with a better CPU and internal graphics, Intel are absolutely rubbish, they may make good CPU's but why have they not made decent GPU's ?
If you keep your budget to less than £370 then there's a lot you can get, I've found a few deals for you:

Buy SAMSUNG SAMRV515A01 | 15.6" LAPTOP - Laptops | Comet

HP Pavilion G6-1200sa Laptop - Laptops | Ebuyer.com
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Both of the above are good specs, although the HP has much better sound output and a few more subtle features
Mymatemarmite

Thanks everyone for your input.....it's been a great help

The one I was going to get was out of stock....and I knew that if I didn't sort something today that I'd let it ride forever....so after a bit of research, I went for an ASUS with 4GB of RAM....and 750 GB of storage......or something like that

From what I can tell, it will do all that I want it too, and plenty more.

I've been used to a knackered old Dell recently, which must have been at least 8 years old. This new one is all spangly......and very quick on the net.

Very happy:thumbs

Last edited by Mymatemarmite; 02-01-12 at 16:45.

spx
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
would stay clear of dell. Everyone i know that has got one has had bother or it has died. desktops and laptops.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
laptop , recommendations

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page