Kobo - anyone help a non-techie? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 27-12-11 Thread Starter
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Kobo - anyone help a non-techie?

MrsJim bought me a Kobo for Christmas which seems like a great gift idea for someone like me who enjoys a good read especially when travelling or on holidays. I'm really pleased - at least with the idea as I can't use it yet!

I downloaded the setup to my home Mac (can't put anything unapproved on my work laptop ) and dropped the icon into Applications as instructed.

Then nothing. I have a Kobo application icon in the App's folder. I have a Kobo icon on my desktop that just opens the Finder window for aforesaid app. I also have a Koboereader icon on my desktop that is apparently full of epub welcome/readme files in different languages (that I can't actually open).

I've faffed with all sorts of double clicking and tried interminably irritating dead ends trying to get the answer off their own help section of the Kobo website s I thoughtI'd pack it in and hope one of the knowledgeable tech-stars in AO could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.


Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
73GTVJim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Nige005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 16,303
Jim, can't help you I'm afraid but as a follow on from a Kindle Thread is there any reason why you ( Mrs Jim anyway ! ) went for the Kobo and not the Kindle ?

Hope someone comes along soon who can help.
Nige005 is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Jim, try calibre for hooking upto the kobo

calibre - Download for OS X
GhostyDog is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 34 Old 28-12-11 Thread Starter
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Jim, can't help you I'm afraid but as a follow on from a Kindle Thread is there any reason why you ( Mrs Jim anyway ! ) went for the Kobo and not the Kindle ?

Hope someone comes along soon who can help.
Nige, she looked into it a bit, I believe. The kobo is a touch version; kindle's doesn't come out til next year. It got a good write up in a comparative review she found in a daily paper too.

Sean, thanks for that. Not sure quite what to do but will try when I get home from mum-in-law's.
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Nige005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 16,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
Nige, she looked into it a bit, I believe. The kobo is a touch version; kindle's doesn't come out til next year. It got a good write up in a comparative review she found in a daily paper too.
Thanks Jim. Was only looking at the basic 89 version for myself. The purchase has been postponed for now though, 916 Spring Pans to sort out.
Nige005 is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 34 Old 28-12-11 Thread Starter
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Jim, try calibre for hooking upto the kobo

calibre - Download for OS X
I'm trying to download that now (30 mins gone....just 1 day, 23 hours, 14 mins remaining! I told you I had a slow internet here!) I may sack that off!

The Calibre site did make me wonder if it isn't working because I stil have an older version of OSX Tiger running, so maybe I need to go buy a boxed version of the latest Lion, or Leopard or whatever it is now at the Apple store? Downloading anything is excrutiatingly slow.


Alternatively, I'll ask our IT administrator if he'll allow me to put it on my laptop next week and I can download books via works' superfast network.
73GTVJim is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 34 Old 28-12-11 Thread Starter
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Thanks Jim. Was only looking at the basic 89 version for myself. The purchase has been postponed for now though, 916 Spring Pans to sort out.
Nige, MrsJim just pointed out that while the Kobo was supposed to be 169 it was on offer at W H Smith for 99 and was being demonstrated while she was Christmas shopping - which was the clincher since she was looking to find one anyway and had 129 in mind from various ads she'd seen.

The basic Kindle should get cheaper when their touch screen version comes out.

I don't know what the Kindle is like but this feels nicely made and has a pleasant quilted pattern on the back.

Good luck with the spring pans btw!
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Jim you need to upgrade to snow leopard then upgrade to lion from the mac app store (which is installed as an update to snow leopard) if you want to
GhostyDog is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 34 Old 28-12-11 Thread Starter
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Jim you need to upgrade to snow leopard then upgrade to lion from the mac app store (which is installed as an update to snow leopard) if you want to
Can't I just make a single leap?....and from a real shop? If I have to download it I'll never get to use the thing for days!
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Meh.
AO Platinum Member
 
NineOneSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 30,067
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Jim, If I was closer I could lend you snow leopard and lion to update your OS X
NineOneSix is offline  
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
 
Nige005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 16,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
Nige, MrsJim just pointed out that while the Kobo was supposed to be 169 it was on offer at W H Smith for 99 and was being demonstrated while she was Christmas shopping - which was the clincher since she was looking to find one anyway and had 129 in mind from various ads she'd seen.

The basic Kindle should get cheaper when their touch screen version comes out.

I don't know what the Kindle is like but this feels nicely made and has a pleasant quilted pattern on the back.

Good luck with the spring pans btw!
Thanks for the info Jim, hope you get sorted out soon.

Spring Pan ( s ) first week in the New Year, at least for the faulty one, PF and the rest will come later.......
Nige005 is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 34 Old 29-12-11 Thread Starter
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
Jim, If I was closer I could lend you snow leopard and lion to update your OS X
Just my luck! But thanks for the kind thought 916!
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
Jim, If I was closer I could lend you snow leopard and lion to update your OS X
Its only 25 quid, get your had in your pocket
GhostyDog is offline  
Status: Meh.
AO Platinum Member
 
NineOneSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 30,067
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Technically it's 50, he has to buy both
NineOneSix is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
Technically it's 50, he has to buy both
He doesnt 'need' lion
GhostyDog is offline  
Status: Meh.
AO Platinum Member
 
NineOneSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 30,067
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

I thought he WANTED lion, no one needs it, not yet at least.
NineOneSix is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 34 Old 31-12-11 Thread Starter
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Its only 25 quid, get your had in your pocket
naff orfff!

@ 916 - I didn't "want" either particularly. I just thought if I had to update then I thought it'd be better to have the latest.

I called in the Apple shop (my God! is it always so manic in there?) and was told Lion probably wouldn't run on my 6 (or 7? can't remember) year old iMac so I'm going to order Snow Leopard from the online store - no they didn't stock it

Thanks for the help chaps.
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
naff orfff!

@ 916 - I didn't "want" either particularly. I just thought if I had to update then I thought it'd be better to have the latest.

I called in the Apple shop (my God! is it always so manic in there?) and was told Lion probably wouldn't run on my 6 (or 7? can't remember) year old iMac so I'm going to order Snow Leopard from the online store - no they didn't stock it

Thanks for the help chaps.
Is yours a PowerPC IMac Jim?
GhostyDog is offline  
Status: Meh.
AO Platinum Member
 
NineOneSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 30,067
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Think snow leopard is the furthest you can if it is PowerPC. Or is it just leopard.
NineOneSix is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
Think snow leopard is the furthest you can if it is PowerPC. Or is it just leopard.
Thats correct, snow leopard was the first mac os that was intel architecture only

Jim, ebay is your friend, but even then you are getting left behind in terms of future software availibility if you do have a PowerPC Mac. If you are unsure this page will help

How to identify your iMac

GhostyDog is offline  
(Post Link) post #21 of 34 Old 31-12-11 Thread Starter
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Is yours a PowerPC IMac Jim?
Yes.

I went online and read the mixed but many negative reviews of Snow Leopard and found there was a Leopard before. Couldn't quickly find whether SL is just an update of L i.e. meaning I can't go straight from Tiger, but I'll search later with a bit more enthusiasm!
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Broken again...
AO Platinum Member
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
Yes.

I went online and read the mixed but many negative reviews of Snow Leopard and found there was a Leopard before. Couldn't quickly find whether SL is just an update of L i.e. meaning I can't go straight from Tiger, but I'll search later with a bit more enthusiasm!
Well its going to have to be Leopard then, that or a nice shiny new iMac
GhostyDog is offline  
Status: Meh.
AO Platinum Member
 
NineOneSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 30,067
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

My MacBook was on tiger and I updated it to snow leopard. I know a small shop on Oxford street that looks like the sort of place you would never enter, but the chap has every version of apple os made! And sells them cheaply too.
NineOneSix is offline  
(Post Link) post #24 of 34 Old 31-12-11 Thread Starter
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Well its going to have to be Leopard then, that or a nice shiny new iMac
funnily enough it did cross my mind! A bit of an expensive fix to get a 99 Kobo to work!
73GTVJim is offline  
(Post Link) post #25 of 34 Old 31-12-11 Thread Starter
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
My MacBook was on tiger and I updated it to snow leopard. I know a small shop on Oxford street that looks like the sort of place you would never enter, but the chap has every version of apple os made! And sells them cheaply too.
Oh, that suggests I can just buy snow leopard? Are you sure about that?
73GTVJim is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
ereader , kobo , nontechie

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome