My latest project :-) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 20-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
My latest project :-)

Hi Guys,
Just want some opinions really!
Some will know, I run my own IT business building gaming and home cinema pc's, Just finished this little beast for my Friends dad, Let me know what you think!
The specs are a Phenom 2 BE 6 core running at 4197Mhz, 8 gigs of OCZ 2000mhz DDR3 Ram, 2 x WD Eco green 2TB hdd's, ATI 6450 Passive with HDMI out, it's also watercooled (Just installing the loop now but will upload another pic later)
2 x Sony Blu ray writers
He was on a tight budget so I only charged him £800 for it (£1700 worth of components)
Just also finished the sound proofing and it makes such a difference to the case, it also aids cooling as the case doesn't become a metallic heat trap!
The motherboard is a Crosshair Extreme IV Republic of Gamers addition, it's soo swish that it allows overclocking via an android app over Bluetooth, It'll even show the current parameters in realtime on your phone which is mindblowing in my opinion!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20111220_114339.jpg (58.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20111220_114354.jpg (68.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20111220_114443.jpg (21.1 KB, 6 views)

You've just been done by a Twinny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 37 Old 20-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I was going to opt for a 'Stealthy' type case but his wife wasn't too keen so they went for something a bit more simplistic, Matt black with a hint of Chrome goes well I think!
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemackenzie View Post
He was on a tight budget so I only charged him £800 for it (£1700 worth of components)
Just also finished the sound proofing and it makes such a difference to the case, it also aids cooling as the case doesn't become a metallic heat trap!
Mega overkill and you're not going to be in business long with that attitude unless you are independently wealthy...
AO Gold Member

County: Conwy

£690.25 for a computer case!

You must be loaded
(Post Link) post #5 of 37 Old 21-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Where did that come from lol?
I charged him the cost price of all components, reason being that his wife made our brides maid dresses for the wedding so we owed them a favour, the 'Worth' price was what current retail prices are.
I know it looks overkill but he required a pc that's going to last 5 years or more, he was still using a Dell poweredge unit from 2000!!!!
AO Member

County: La Massana

Member car:

Google Chrome

You charged your mate £800 (cost price) but the worth was £1700? How does that work? And don't just say you double the cost price to sell on because that's way too much. 30-50% is the norm and to do that you'd have to be getting a good trade deal on the components in the first place.
(Post Link) post #7 of 37 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

The components were bought at trade price which is why it sums up to £800, the higher figure is due to the retail value and the current market price for an equivalent built machine, Haven't you ever bought something that's worth more than you paid for it?
(Post Link) post #8 of 37 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Anyway, why is there a negative Critique? I was just looking to see what people thought of the spec
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
I know it looks overkill but he required a pc that's going to last 5 years or more, he was still using a Dell poweredge unit from 2000!!!!
I'm sorry but I can't understand your rationale behind the build spec based on your mates requirements of having a PC with a lifespan of 5 years plus.

Simplicity = stability there is a lot of technology in your build that is there 'just because you could' and whether it will provide a stable platform (water cooling for example) is negligible.

What type of usage is the computer optimised for?

Interesting he was using a Server as a Desktop, intimates he is a power user of some sort, CAD? Very noisy though those old PowerEdge Servers, what was it? A dual P3 with RAID?

Why does he need 2 BD Writers?

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
(Post Link) post #10 of 37 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

He currently designs and builds X-ray machines (Particle accelerators) for the Medical industry, plus he's a bit of a geek, he loves messing with Fractal animations and pushing his pc to the limits so we both agreed this one would serve the purpose. If I remember, his old poweredge was an old dual P3 with 512mb ram, 2 x 36gb scsi's in there but the onboard GPU was only spec'd to 8mb vram so it's definately an improvement!
I know what people think about watercooling, but I can't hype it enough, it's much much more efficient, almost silent compared to a metal fan heatsink, I bought him the Hydro 100 kit so it's a self contained system, no need for a user to top up or bleed it etc, Plus it comes with a 5 year guarantee against any leaks and such,
He just wanted a decent pc with all the bells and whistles but not at Dell's current XPS prices
The server was too noisy, The sound reminded me of the old HP Proliants, that metallic spinning sound was awful when you would be spending a day in a room with them
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Audi S6 5.2 V10

That would make a cracking media centre; my setup has just 4gb of ram, 4tb of storage but not the best cpu as I was restricted by the motherboard - MSi Media Live Diva 5.1 with onboard 100 watt amp.

I’m looking at doing some updating though as the onboard 5.1 amp went pop after 3.5 years so im now connected to a Sony receiver.

Id like to incorporate a Blue-ray player but the system as it stands isn’t up to the job.
(Post Link) post #12 of 37 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

We spent 6 hours yesterday wiring the house up to it, The one bonus of Windows 7 allows you to have multiple separate outputs for sound if you have separate Audio controllers, He's got the onboard 7.1 TrueHD sound connected to an Onkyo setup by the pc, but we also installed a Creative XFI HD card so that he could use the Midi interface with his Guitar and use that upstairs and have a different sound output, So effectively you can play a movie downstairs using the Onkyo whilst the XFi card would output and record from the guitar with his Soundstick 3 system upstairs
We then wired the kitchen up to the HDMI output on the back so we were playing the internet radio to another speaker setup in the kitchen
As for the MSI, I remember how good they were when they first came out, Did you ever see the MSI media board that came with an Anniversary internal Valve amp for the true Audiophiles?
Ideally you'll need a core2duo 2.4ghz or more, 4gb's of ram is good enough for Blu Ray content, Have a look at the cases made by D-Vine or even the Antec Fusion, I've got 2 of those buggers in boxes currently!!!!
(Post Link) post #13 of 37 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I recently built a high spec HTPC for a customer using the Thermaltake DH102,This is what I would say is some of their best work, a true decent home theater case aimed at the movie market, The touchscreen is a bit of an arse to get around though, their own software is a big pain in the backside!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg __1.jpg (55.0 KB, 4 views)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Audi S6 5.2 V10

Ive got the Antec Fusion case as its located under the TV in the lounge; i put in a basic network when building my extension so the other towers in the house are all connected up. Nothing like the stuff you have been doing but not bad for a complete novice

The msi platform really was a good bit of kit but unfortunately it appeared that only the very early boards were reliable; the later boards appeared to have cheaper components that kept failing. As a result they abandoned it after a pretty short time and never really promoted it very well.
(Post Link) post #15 of 37 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

MSI have lost their touch these days, Foxconn are getting better whilst years ago they were a bit naf! I would recommend an Asus board to anyone, I think they've hit the market on the head with what they can do
AO Gold Member

Will it run iTunes
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Audi S6 5.2 V10

No; the operating system blocks it out of "principle"
(Post Link) post #18 of 37 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Has anyone ever noticed how Itunes will slow a computer down soo much? Luckily I don't use it, All my friends use another piece of open source software that runs when you tell it to, Not like Itunes which is constantly running in the background using your pc as a Peer server!!!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
I would recommend an Asus board to anyone, I think they've hit the market on the head with what they can do
Asus have always made good quality boards, I haven't built a PC in about 6 or 7 years though, Giga-byte also used to make incredibly well designed and stable ICs not sure about now though.
AO Member

County: Angus
if hes not into his gaming and into all that cad and other funky stuff change the graphics to a nvidia quaddro then you will see a massive improvement, nice setup but dont see the need for 2 blu ray players.

you are right tho water cooling is the way forward. back in 2002 i had my very first water cooled pc. amd athlon 2.8ghz managed to over clock to 3.8. the system cost me 300 notes back then for the zalman reserator lol
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Looking with interest as I want to build a new PC next year.
AO Gold Member

Every machine I ever built, used an Asus board

Unfortunately, the PSU went 'pop' on my old system, taking the MOBO with it.

OK, by today's standards it was nothing special. An A7V8X. But it was running a Barton core AMD 3000+ with 1Gb ram and twin Maxtor 120Gb SATA hard drives and an old ATI AGP, Graphics card.

It was just old enough, that I couldn't find another board capable of running that configuration (SATA and and AMD Barton Core Chip). So I now have a a perfectly good CPU and RAM sat in box, gathering dust.

As a gaming machine at the time, it was able to run Half-Life 2 on max settings, that was my benchmark at the time

It amazes me, why peple spend a fortune on having the the latest CPU (i7 or AMD BE for example). If they were conducting medical research, where they needed to run huge models to simulate effects, then fair enough but most people use their machines to type a letter, send an email, view prOn etc. So why would you need all these top end components?

Out of interest, how are the Hard drives configured. If it is just a media centre, then do you really need a Raid set up? You've gone high end for all the other components, yet you've bunged in a bottom end Graphics card???

Sorry, not having a go, just slightly confused by what you're doing and the reason's for doing it

155 2.0TS Super 166 2.5 V6 156 2.0 JTS Turismo

PS3: Jipper
XBL: Darth Dionysus
(Post Link) post #23 of 37 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I was going to go for a Quaddro but he wanted the best of both worlds, the 6450 handles 2D work extremely well in high resolutions but where he's into this fractal design as a hobby type thing, he wanted a bit more demand, The good thing with this board is it has 5 x pci x16 lanes plus the Lucid chip so he can still whack in some new cards at some point in the future!
AlfaJack, Send me a PM about your interests etc and i'll happily guide you on what you can get for the budget etc!

As for Gigabyte, They're still good, But they've not made a decent enough board for a while, they seem to be focussing on Micro ATX at the moment, They still make some pretty boards from time to time, A lot has changed now that most manufacturers use solid state caps instead of the old liquid filled versions
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Audi S6 5.2 V10

My media centre has 3 drives in the case; 2 x 2TB and 1 x 500GB.

The 500 GB drive runs the operating system, 1 of the 2 TB drives has my music (17,000 tracks), my movies (about 180) and my photos all available with the press of a button and the other 2 TB drive mirrors the first as a backup.

I have effectively a recordable free view setup for TV and have the option to subscribe to sky player via online streaming.

Opps; sorry for going a bit ot
(Post Link) post #25 of 37 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

The hdd's are striped, Reason being that he's got a Qnap connected up so his backups are decent enough etc!
As for the GPU, he didn't want something over the top, the pc was built for it's processing power, not the video side of things, He's quite an eccentric type of bloke, He'd build a server just to run the SETI app if you get my drift.

People laugh at my pc because of how highly spec'd it is, but my reasons are because I do a lot of Photoshop work, web design, CAD etc, I really do use all three screens.
As for this pc, Remember that he's designing an X-Ray machine etc, the design files are sometimes 200GB in size, so the blu ray burners come in handy for burning the work

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
latest , project

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page