Freesat install - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 11-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Freesat install

I want to install a freesat dish & system. Problem is I actually want to run it from the reciever to a "distribution box" somewhere with at least 4 outputs - living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom, blah blah blah.

Is this possible? Are there better/easier ways to do this?

Ideal world, signal in to some sort of box to split & amplify the signal, which has IR for individual channel selection on each set. Can it be done?

Anyone know a good website for this sort of stuff, or a good supplier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
To the best of my knowledge you'll need a separate LNB (Low Noise Block) & feed for each set. We've got one TV & a twin-channel recorder, for which we've got three LNBs - each input has its own LNB.

I think the maximum number of LNBs you can fit to a dish is four.
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Zoe Spider

Hi Keithy. Your best bet is to get yourself a quad lnb with the dish (4 way) You can get an octo now (8 way) but as you are only wanting 4 points then a quad is enough.

Run your cable to all of your points from the dish location and then purchase a cheap freesat box for each point. Sky boxes are cheap as chips now and they carry most of the freesat channels with no subscription needed but dedicated Freesat boxes are a better bet as they only have the free channels and not all the Sky pay per view channels which you don't want.

There are problems with running 4 points from one receiver, not least of which is the fact you will only be able to all watch the same channel at any one time, unless of course you are piping freeview into the system as well. Then there is the issue of tv links. Sky type links are designed to work using voltage supplied from the 2nd RF output of a Sky box. If you are using a Freesat box then you will need an alternative sort of voltage. There is stuff on the market that can do this but I would recommend 4 freesat boxes as it's much easier and the picture quality will be better and like I said, everyone will be able to watch a different channel.

Simples
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
knock walls down?
AO Member

Member car:

Zoe Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
knock walls down?
I knew I'd forgotten something!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
There is a big flaw with Freesat boxes.

They are able to pick up only british channels from the Astra 28.2E satellite.

I decided to go for a Free to air satellite receiver. Not only does it pick up all of the usual freesat channels, it is also capable of picking up signals from other satellites in other languages.

You may need to move your dish slightly, but plenty of Foreign channels are available in the UK, including RTL which will screen F1 for free next year.

Free to Air boxes start at around £30 for a standard definition, and HD ones start at around the £70 mark, and will work with the standard dish and LNB

There is loads of info on the web about free to air satellite.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 120d M sport
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

The only way to distribute a sat signal is to use a quattro head (similar to a quad but each output is fixed for a specific frequency range that the receiver asks for. Now it's been a while but iirc it's horizontal high, horizontal low, vertical high and vertical low. so LNB rotation is just as critical as where it's pointing.

then you can fit a satellite switch, which will give much more then 4 outputs, which would be good if you run twin receiver setups kinda like sky+ boxes and my panasonic freesat HD reciever.

LNB mysteries explained - part 1

Quatro LNB vs Quad LNB - Technical - Digital Spy Forums

The Satellite Shop

Multiswitch. Multiswitches to be used with a quatro LNB. Satellite Superstore UK. Big Discounts.

A proper distribution amplifier works a treat and I've installed delta amps in large buildings with a single dish distributing to well over 100 flats.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
There is a big flaw with Freesat boxes.

They are able to pick up only british channels from the Astra 28.2E satellite.

I decided to go for a Free to air satellite receiver. Not only does it pick up all of the usual freesat channels, it is also capable of picking up signals from other satellites in other languages.

You may need to move your dish slightly, but plenty of Foreign channels are available in the UK, including RTL which will screen F1 for free next year.

Free to Air boxes start at around £30 for a standard definition, and HD ones start at around the £70 mark, and will work with the standard dish and LNB

There is loads of info on the web about free to air satellite.

If you go for a Humax HD freesat box it can actually tune non-freesat channels. As others have said, go for a quad LNB if you want four receivers and run a seperate cable to each receiver.

When Curry's etc tell you that a Sky dish won't work on Freesat and you need to pay an installation fee for a special dish with a different alignment, just ignore them. Absolute nonsense and they know it, they are just after the installation fee, which incidentally, for a quad LNB system is very high.
AO Member

Member car:

Zoe Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
The only way to distribute a sat signal is to use a quattro head (similar to a quad but each output is fixed for a specific frequency range that the receiver asks for. Now it's been a while but iirc it's horizontal high, horizontal low, vertical high and vertical low. so LNB rotation is just as critical as where it's pointing.

then you can fit a satellite switch, which will give much more then 4 outputs, which would be good if you run twin receiver setups kinda like sky+ boxes and my panasonic freesat HD reciever.

LNB mysteries explained - part 1

Quatro LNB vs Quad LNB - Technical - Digital Spy Forums

The Satellite Shop

Multiswitch. Multiswitches to be used with a quatro LNB. Satellite Superstore UK. Big Discounts.

A proper distribution amplifier works a treat and I've installed delta amps in large buildings with a single dish distributing to well over 100 flats.
He only needs 4 points so a quad LNB is all he needs. No need for a multi-switch mate!
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Yep, I've used the sky dish still aligned to astra blah blah and it worked a treat on my freesat HD receiver
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by winja View Post
He only needs 4 points so a quad LNB is all he needs. No need for a multi-switch mate!
Might want more in the future

at the moment we're using 5, but we decided to loose a sky+HD box to save money.

8 points in a localised position is a neat thing to have I'd say
AO Member

Member car:

Zoe Spider

Quote:
Might want more in the future

at the moment we're using 5, but we decided to loose a sky+HD box to save money.

8 points in a localised position is a neat thing to have I'd say
Then he just needs an Octo LNB !
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

TBH I think 4 wires off the dish looks gash 8 will look schite

Wonder if they'll ever design a LNB that can do all 4 signals down a single coax?
AO Member

Member car:

Zoe Spider

Quote:
TBH I think 4 wires off the dish looks gash 8 will look schite

Wonder if they'll ever design a LNB that can do all 4 signals down a single coax?
But the four, (or 8), cables will be going to different locations mate! Also, with a bit of thought from the installer, the cables can be hidden through the loft or behind drainpipes or even covered with conduit.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

I know, I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to wiring and it's just a personal preference
AO Member

Member car:

Zoe Spider

Quote:
I know, I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to wiring and it's just a personal preference
I'm with you there mate. There is a piece of kit called a stacker/de-stacker that enable you to send two feeds down one cable. They are about £60 for one that will cope with up to 50 meters. It can work out a lot cheaper than running another cable in some instances like when your original cable has been put under the floor or plastered into the wall.
RSK

Hang on a minute I think some of you might be over complicating this a bit. Apologies If I've read it wrong but my assumption is that Keithy does not have 4 x freest enabled TVs to which he wants to distribute the signal in which case the LNB issue is a bit of a red herring.

As I understand it there will be a direct feed into a single freesat enabled enabled TV/STB and then an RF (i.e. delivered via the aerial feed) signal sent to the other TVs. This is pretty standard practice with most Sky installs whereby other TVs by tuning via analogue TV into a predetermined frequency can set say channel 6 to be the channel by which they watch whatever is being shown on the main satellite enabled tv/set top box.

Keithy am am I near the mark with this assumption ?

Edited to add - individual channel selection cannot be done no matter how many LNBs you have if the tv sets in question do not have an inbuilt Freesat decoder. You can achieve this but you'd need a new Freesat enabled TV in each room you want to do it.

RSK

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Hang on a minute I think some of you might be over complicating this a bit. Apologies If I've read it wrong but my assumption is that Keithy does not have 4 x freest enabled TVs to which he wants to distribute the signal in which case the LNB issue is a bit of a red herring.

As I understand it there will be a direct feed into a single freesat enabled enabled TV/STB and then an RF (i.e. delivered via the aerial feed) signal sent to the other TVs. This is pretty standard practice with most Sky installs whereby other TVs by tuning via analogue TV into a predetermined frequency can set say channel 6 to be the channel by which they watch whatever is being shown on the main satellite enabled tv/set top box.

Edited to add - individual channel selection cannot be done no matter how many LNBs you have if the tv sets in question do not have an inbuilt Freesat decoder. You can achieve this but you'd need a new Freesat enabled TV in each room you want to do it.

RSK

He needs four LNBs and four receivers

>Ideal world, signal in to some sort of box to split & amplify the signal, which has IR for individual channel selection on each set. Can it be done?

Incidentally I have a Humax HD freesat receiver and a Bush SD freesat receiver which are no longer in use due to a house move, so PM me if you fancy buying some secondhand gear to keep costs down
RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilzAlfa View Post
He needs four LNBs and four receivers

>Ideal world, signal in to some sort of box to split & amplify the signal, which has IR for individual channel selection on each set. Can it be done?

Agreed - That was the point I was trying to make belatedly having read it all through properly but didn't do so all that clearly.

It's very possible but significantly more expensive than might perhaps have been envisaged.

I think the confusion is around the fact that it's impossible to distribute a signal and afford autonomy to the receiving units unless they can decode the signal. Assuming they can there's no need for any standalone distribution hardware as it's then governed by a 1:1 ratio between LNBs and decoders.

Nev

Put all the receivers in the same cupboard, daisychain feeds from
2LNB and distribute the vid signals instead?

FYIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humax

More software updates and launches for December

Dear Humax user,
New movies-on-demand channel from Freesat

Freesat have just announced the introduction of a new video-on-demand channel, Box Office 365!

Box Office 365 is a subscription based movie channel, broadcasting a huge range and variety of "Blockbuster Movies" and "Classics" for all tastes including: Mission Impossible 3, Babe- Pig in the City, Inglorious Basterds, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

The channel makes use of on-demand streaming over the internet (broadband connection required), and is available on Freesat channel number 907 now!

Box Office 365 - freesat

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post

RSK
Hi RSK. You can get Freesat set-top boxes, so as long as the TV has a scart socket, you're fine. And they can be got for as little as £30 each now, so not necessarily prohibitively expensive to allow autonomy in each room.

Bear in mind that (I think) any room with a Freesat device which can record will need two feeds, not just one.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Bear in mind that (I think) any room with a Freesat device which can record will need two feeds, not just one.
I can only speak from personal experience here, but our Panasonic recorder has twin tuners, so it needs two feeds; the TV with a built-in Freesat tuner also has a separate feed. Basically, as I understand it, an LNB can only operate with one tuner at a time, as the tuner controls operation of the LNB.
Nev

You need 2 LNBs to watch/record channels if they have different polarisation.

You can use a single LNB and 'chain from antenna output to input (If your
receiver has them.) but you can only watch and record if both channels are
horizontal or vertical, not a mix of the two. That's the set-up on my Humax.

AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

But you can use duel, quad or octo heads which give seperate feeds. Or use a Quattro with a distribution switch.

2 or more LNBs will look very old style or gash depending how you look at it.
AO Member

Member car:

Zoe Spider

Nev, you just need a quad lnb and another cable from the dish to your Humax box. Then you can watch and record any channel on any polorization.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
freesat , install

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page