Bye bye Sky - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By steveisfrowning
  • 1 Post By ronan
  • 1 Post By Verbout

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 30-07-19 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Chilling Bye bye Sky

Hello Freesat. That's UK Freesat, and not the embarrassing Irish version.

I got a Humax satellite receiver/Freetime/HDR from eBay and configured a Raspberry Pi as a VPN gateway for the catchup services. The biggest downside is that we have to switch the TV source to the Irish version of Freeview to watch and record the Irish channels, so everything isn't all in one place. Another niggle is that catchup on Sky is recorded just like a normal live recording so you can skip the ads whereas Freetime links to the catchup services of the individual channels. We don't watch much TV so no biggie.

Anyone want a Sky HD+ box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Virgin Media Freeview here..."borrowed" Sky Sports App on Xbox 360...."borrowed" BT Sport App on Android TV box....and lots of wee android apps for everything else.

Remember when we had one TV with 3 channels and we had to get up off our bums to change the station. !!

Was it the cost that made you change ?
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 31-07-19 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

It wasn't the cost itself, ronan, it was that we were paying for something we rarely, if ever, get any benefit from. I also feel a bit cleaner after freedom from Murdoch.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
I've just cancelled Sky - spending virtually a day and a half of texting to get the job done (possibly preferable to multiple phone calls).

Why doesn't someone get a grip of this industry and put an end to this utter bull**** around leaving and joining?

My Sky was £65

as I was leaving they said I could have it for £58....and then went to £53 as a final offer. I left.

This morning there is an email saying I can have it for £32. That ******* well takes it below what I'm now planning on paying BT....and Sky has better footy this year.

So, contemplating cancelling BT (within my 14 days cooling off period) and hooking back up with Sky. what a TART.

Obv I'll still need to get someone to do my interweb for me, now I've got rid of Virgin, so maybe Sky will do that for me too....or BT....or Plusnet or my Uncle Bill.
DeeeeC likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

You don't do things by half these days Stevie boy !!
steveisfrowning likes this.

Garage
Bye bye BT Sports ...

... I didn't cancel, it was free from EIR with their broadband. But as of 1st August it has been removed Sky bought the rights & it is now available from them.

PS no one should be paying full price for Sky, if you are ring them up & ask for a deal. Existing customers deserve deals as well as new customers

Last edited by David P; 15-08-19 at 20:53.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Freesat with a humax box has served me well for years.
philfromdevon likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
If I had to pay for it, I wouldn’t have it.........
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I've persisted with BT, having have a contemptuous fit of pique about Sky's nerve. Sky are toast later this month, but I'll still get to see a bit of footy, and watch the end of Deadwood before I go. Seriously, by the way, if you've not seen Deadwood....it is Shakespeare in the wildest of wests.

Am now locked in debate with some lackey of the CEO of Virgin Media while trying to sack them off.

Sky
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
I told BT to take a walk when they tried to charge me £110+VAT a decade ago for connecting a line that the last owners left connected. For clicking a box on screen.... Yep that and a couple of company phone lines. Then I got an office where the landlords were too lazy to bill for calls because the rent was already epic! Also I sued my mobile operator for overcharging me thousands when I was already spending £600/m - bc I wouldn't notice that. Congrats this sh-- pushed me to VOIP when practical.

Also cut the cord on Sky, BBC, etc and now it's Netflix and still chilling. Don't think I'm missing much they have that in the pub when I want. Also I don't miss the news telling me what to think all the time. Movies I get from Google Play. Crunchyroll is free with ads. Twitch is great for E-Sports and paying is voluntary on most channels. Ijs streaming in all its forms is the Internet's way of giving you more options than TV ever could and supporting up-and-coming artists. It's an option is all I'm saying. And don't forget gaming. I just find it hard to watch other people playing a game when I could be playing the game instead.
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I ditched the xbox a couple of years ago - I was racking up too much Fifa-time late at night.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
If anyone does go back to sky as a new customer I can get you 40% off for 18 months.

Just send me a pm

Fred

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
bye , sky

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page