Surface Pro 1796 (2017) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

5Likes
  • 3 Post By ronan
  • 1 Post By ronan
  • 1 Post By ronan

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 15-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Surface Pro 1796 (2017)

Quick question for you techies

We are maybe being offered the chance to work from home with the surface pro.....

Is there a cheap alternative (non microsoft) to the surface pro docking station....we need to connect to 2 monitors ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

For two monitors, this should do what you need...

https://www.ebuyer.com/835681-starte...dock-usba2dpgb
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 18-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Thanks 130 Rosso.....the strange thing is I probably won't want to work from home....the office is bad enough.....i don't want to infect my home with work. lol
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Bin the Surface and get a proper work computer with hdmi and/or Thunderbolt3-USBC
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
Bin the Surface and get a proper work computer with hdmi and/or Thunderbolt3-USBC
Been using a surface pro for years. Best work computer I've had. Light, slim and great for taking notes. Power is more than adequate for most applications (i7/8GB/256GB SSD).

The only downsides are the batteries are not really replaceable and they are expensive in comparison. However expensive and value of course are relative to what you want and are prepared to pay.

Interestingly I can have a 3 screen setup with the surface pro dock...two external screens and the surfaces screen. Surface Pro supports mini display port (well my vintage machine does!) which is a well supported standard.

Other machine I have used for work is a Hewlett Packard Spectre which I've been rather impressed with too...

Personally I'd just bite the bullet and get the official dock.. they are great well designed and seem to last (mine is 4 years old and still going strong!).

(Post Link) post #6 of 15 Old 19-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Would prefer to bin work
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 19-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty156 View Post
Been using a surface pro for years. Best work computer I've had. Light, slim and great for taking notes. Power is more than adequate for most applications (i7/8GB/256GB SSD).

The only downsides are the batteries are not really replaceable and they are expensive in comparison. However expensive and value of course are relative to what you want and are prepared to pay.

Interestingly I can have a 3 screen setup with the surface pro dock...two external screens and the surfaces screen. Surface Pro supports mini display port (well my vintage machine does!) which is a well supported standard.

Other machine I have used for work is a Hewlett Packard Spectre which I've been rather impressed with too...

Personally I'd just bite the bullet and get the official dock.. they are great well designed and seem to last (mine is 4 years old and still going strong!).
I am going off the idea....it will probably be pulled by management anyway...we have also been told that we have to provide our own docking station and extra screens at home.
Does buying your own happen in the private sector or is it just a public sector thing ?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
I am going off the idea....it will probably be pulled by management anyway...we have also been told that we have to provide our own docking station and extra screens at home.
Does buying your own happen in the private sector or is it just a public sector thing ?
Well I got given a laptop to use. Don't really need a docking station at home or additional screens.

Guessing if you are expected to work from home they should supply all the equipment you need? Arguably you don't need a docking station or monitors although you could get them to do a DSE assessment on your home work environment and then try and raise some risks on using a laptop screen and keyboard all day? Might be worth a try if you want a docking station + displays.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty156 View Post
Well I got given a laptop to use. Don't really need a docking station at home or additional screens.

Guessing if you are expected to work from home they should supply all the equipment you need? Arguably you don't need a docking station or monitors although you could get them to do a DSE assessment on your home work environment and then try and raise some risks on using a laptop screen and keyboard all day? Might be worth a try if you want a docking station + displays.
I would work from home more from a technical point of view - I have a 2-screen set up with each monitor larger than the one work will provide (IT don't understand the need to work with large spreadsheets of data!) and my machine is faster, more up to date (although it's at leat Windows 10 at work) and arguably at least as secure. I can access almost all I need for work remotely apart from physically seeing other staff who aren't technical enough to use Skype. I probably eat more healthily and drink less coffee when I'm at home, and the loo is even closer, even though my office is next door to it... and it doesn't have the annoying hand drier noise through the wall! Oh and I have an A3 colour printer (inkjet so not for large runs) and scanner on my home desk which is actually better for me in terms of GDPR.

I know of a few others with various Surface devices and only ever hear good things about them (not saying they are perfect). They aren't cheap but then if someone who owns any Apple device says that, it whiffs of hypocrisy! I'd certainly consider one if I could (don't need one at the moment as my 15" convertible is doing the job it needs to.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I know of a few others with various Surface devices and only ever hear good things about them (not saying they are perfect). They aren't cheap but then if someone who owns any Apple device says that, it whiffs of hypocrisy! I'd certainly consider one if I could (don't need one at the moment as my 15" convertible is doing the job it needs to.
Agreed. Especially with respect to Apple devices. They are great bits of kit. Find mine useful for taking notes with the stylus at meetings etc. They are automatically synced up to the cloud and available where ever I need them. Its also a fully blown PC too. Really is the best of both worlds - tablet and laptop. Coupled with a dock and screens you could probably sack off the desktop too if you got the i7 version.
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 19-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

In the office we work off the surface pro....and have it attached to 2 monitors and the Kensington USB 3.0 SP docking station....in reality the surface pro is never used..it's technically just used as a base unit..opened then closed until the end of the day....we all find the SP screen too small to work on for the work we do and mice and keyboards are essential.
We really do need the monitors for the work we are doing.
So,to work from home it's gonna be 2 monitors and a docking station we will need plus all the connections...the HMRC aren't giving us a penny for that....they've given us the SP.....and it's up to us to pay for the rest.
Matty156 likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

The Surface Pro you cite (1796) has DisplayPort which should be capable of daisy-chaining monitors. So a docking station shouldn't be required for two external monitors, just two DisplayPort daisy-chain capable monitors.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
You said Daisy-Chaining. Snigger.
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 19-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
You said Daisy-Chaining. Snigger.
Is that the same as spooning ?

Edit:...you are one dirtmonger.....just looked up Urban Dictionary....now i know why you went to Texas !!!
TheGrimJeeper likes this.

Last edited by ronan; 19-03-19 at 18:28.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 19-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
The Surface Pro you cite (1796) has DisplayPort which should be capable of daisy-chaining monitors. So a docking station shouldn't be required for two external monitors, just two DisplayPort daisy-chain capable monitors.
But remember...this is the HMRC we are talking about...they don't do common sense.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
1796 , 2017 , pro , surface