Computer desk planning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 04-02-19 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Computer desk planning

OK, I need a new desk. The spec for it is pretty specific - both so it'll fit where I want it, and so my computer will fit into it.

I have been unable to find anything that is quite right by trawling google. Locally, I could get someone to make me one from scratch - but we're probably talking £1000. And I don't have any pallets handy to make it myself.*

However. Oak Furniture Land do have something which is nearly perfect. And it's in the exact range our other lounge furniture comes from, so would match beautifully. The issue is that my computer won't fit in it.

https://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/f...-desk/947.html

My dad is a retired joiner. I didn't want to ask him to build something from scratch, as a bit of a big ask. But I've spoken to him about whether it would be possible to modify that desk, without leaving obvious scars, and he reckons so.

What we're** currently planning is to:

Remove the back of the cupboard for airflow.

Remove the crosspiece between the drawer and cupboard, and remove the drawer. This gives enough height for the computer to sit in there.

This is the clever bit:
Attach the front edge of that crosspiece, and the front of the drawer, to the top of the cupboard door. So it looks when closed exactly as it does now, but the whole front is cupboard door.

This is the even cleverer bit:
The intention was to have the door open whenever the computer is on, again to aid airflow. But we're thinking that the drawer front, instead of being solidly attached to the cupboard door - why not hinge it? So instead of opening the entire door, I have a flap at the top which hinges down, to allow airflow and access to buttons and USB ports.

This gets me something close to perfect, and saves me £500.

I'm going to take my dad to the showroom to have a proper look at the unit so we can decide if it's workable. But I'd be interested in other peoples thoughts and ideas too.

*By which I actually mean, I don't have anything approaching the ability. I might take the mickey out of SiF's work, but I find it rather impressive really.

**By which I mean my dad will do, while I hover in the background attempting to be helpful but mostly just getting in the way.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 25 Old 04-02-19 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

With the planned amendments, the cupboard will be about 7cm wider, 10cm taller, and 12 cm deeper than the computer.

There will be dowel holes left in the interior I suppose. But with the computer in there, I doubt they'll stand out at all.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Looks potentially good, though having a retired joiner as a father is cheating really.
(Post Link) post #4 of 25 Old 04-02-19 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Yeah, if I tried this myself it'd probably end up on fire.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Sounds like a plan - I'd call on a family member (joiner/builder) although my dad is also pretty good in this area (although it would take him a good while longer these days) to the same, but I was able to measure the space and buy what is effectively a work-desk in white with a filing cabinet attached that gives open storage underneath for the tower (mine would likely be too big to fit that cupboard, plus I like access to the side should I wish to open the side of it up to add/remove something) I then have a large A3 scanner/printer, 2x24" widescreen monitors, keyboard, mouse and (until I finish sorting next week!) a lot of junk on the desktop. Sat underneath on the opposite side to the desktop is (currently though it will move) my 4 drive NAS box.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
New computer
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
What about a laptop, then you do away with all that work?

On a serious note, having worked from home from years, most important for me (and my back in particular), was to get the desk at the correct height, a decent chair and the monitor(s) mounted on the wall at eye level.

My desk is raised from the standard height by 20cm, and it made a massive difference to the amount of time I'm able to sit at the desk comfortably. This was following a consultation at a store called "Back in Action". Very good.
(Post Link) post #8 of 25 Old 05-02-19 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Yeah, I have a desk mounted arm for my monitor, so I can adjust it as much as I need. A laptop with the spec that my computer has would cost thousands.

I was tempted for ages by multiple monitors. But I have a VR headset now, and it's a revelation for all the sorts of things I'd most want multiple monitors for anyway.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Yeah, I have a desk mounted arm for my monitor, so I can adjust it as much as I need. A laptop with the spec that my computer has would cost thousands.

I was tempted for ages by multiple monitors. But I have a VR headset now, and it's a revelation for all the sorts of things I'd most want multiple monitors for anyway.
Tell me more about a VR headset? What does that do?
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
What is the airflow issue?

Unless youíre running top end i7s with multiple graphics cards, itís not going to get hot. My gaming machine (last years i7 and some fancy graphics card) doesnít get warm even after 2 hours of slaughtering the undead in 4K. It sits in a closed cupboard with a hole in the back.

Knock some holes in the top and bottom of the backing board, and stick the computer in there. Convection will do the rest.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post

Unless youíre running top end i7s with multiple graphics cards, itís not going to get hot. My gaming machine (last years i7 and some fancy graphics card) doesnít get warm even after 2 hours of slaughtering the undead in 4K. It sits in a closed cupboard with a hole in the back.

Knock some holes in the top and bottom of the backing board, and stick the computer in there. Convection will do the rest.
Is that because you run a water cooler and in a freezer storage room ;-)
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
No, its a bog standard PC case with a few fans in it.

The intake fan is at the bottom, next to the hole. The exhaust fan is at the top, blowing into the top of the cupboard, and this exits from the hole at the top. Basically it is taking in cold air from the bottom of the desk and throwing it out at the top.

I do have a problem with dog fur. Having 2 shepherds in means that there is more fur in the house than on the dogs. Every few months I fish the computer out and give it a going over with the compressor.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
No, its a bog standard PC case with a few fans in it.

The intake fan is at the bottom, next to the hole. The exhaust fan is at the top, blowing into the top of the cupboard, and this exits from the hole at the top. Basically it is taking in cold air from the bottom of the desk and throwing it out at the top.

I do have a problem with dog fur. Having 2 shepherds in means that there is more fur in the house than on the dogs. Every few months I fish the computer out and give it a going over with the compressor.
Makes sense - I built a machine for someone that started over-heating after a few months. Went and removed a lot of dog hair. Was told the dog doesn't go near it, but while I was there it walked in and promptly lay down right next to the intake fan on the front of the case... Didn't need to go back again.
(Post Link) post #14 of 25 Old 05-02-19 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
Tell me more about a VR headset? What does that do?
I have an Oculus Rift which I bought a few weeks back. It is jaw-dropping the first few times you use it. Basically does exactly what you'd expect. Drops you right in the middle of the game you're experiencing, with the ability to look all around you.

You can use it seated for things like racing games or flight sims, so it's just a way of being able to see all around you, and be more immersed.

If you've got the space, you can use it standing, and it will fully track your movements and translate them into the game. (Unless you have a great deal of space, for this type you tend to have a relatively small space you exist within in your room. For large movements in the game you use the joystick on the controllers so you don't walk into walls).
The controllers are also tracked for movement, like the headset, which allows you to play ridiculously fun games like this:
And look like an idiot to anyone roaming past.

Racing games are immense, being able to watch competing cars as you outbrake into a corner, then judge the apex perfectly rather than a static forward view. And I haven't played it much yet, but guiding your ship out of a spaceport in Elite in VR is gobsmacking.

You do need a fairly good system to run one, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend for the £350 it costs.

The only proviso is that it can cause a bit of motion sickness with some game types (ones with a lot of camera movement basically). But you can wean yourself on to those.
Even something as simple as viewing Google earth maps on it is mesmerising.

Quote:

You're probably right. Generally my rig runs fairly quiet (fans not running at high speed). But with some high end games or VR stuff, I'd want to make absolutely sure it's fine. The case has outlet fans at the front and top, hence wanting airflow at that end as well as the back.
Maybe I'll downgrade the plan to knock out the whole back, and just have a couple of holes instead (but removing the entire back will make cables easier to deal with too).
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I have an Oculus Rift which I bought a few weeks back. It is jaw-dropping the first few times you use it. Basically does exactly what you'd expect. Drops you right in the middle of the game you're experiencing, with the ability to look all around you.

You can use it seated for things like racing games or flight sims, so it's just a way of being able to see all around you, and be more immersed.

If you've got the space, you can use it standing, and it will fully track your movements and translate them into the game. (Unless you have a great deal of space, for this type you tend to have a relatively small space you exist within in your room. For large movements in the game you use the joystick on the controllers so you don't walk into walls).
The controllers are also tracked for movement, like the headset, which allows you to play ridiculously fun games like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSRDIq3nMmU
And look like an idiot to anyone roaming past.

Racing games are immense, being able to watch competing cars as you outbrake into a corner, then judge the apex perfectly rather than a static forward view. And I haven't played it much yet, but guiding your ship out of a spaceport in Elite in VR is gobsmacking.

You do need a fairly good system to run one, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend for the £350 it costs.

The only proviso is that it can cause a bit of motion sickness with some game types (ones with a lot of camera movement basically). But you can wean yourself on to those.
Even something as simple as viewing Google earth maps on it is mesmerising.

You're probably right. Generally my rig runs fairly quiet (fans not running at high speed). But with some high end games or VR stuff, I'd want to make absolutely sure it's fine. The case has outlet fans at the front and top, hence wanting airflow at that end as well as the back.
Maybe I'll downgrade the plan to knock out the whole back, and just have a couple of holes instead (but removing the entire back will make cables easier to deal with too).
Although bigger holes = more dust able to get in... (says the one with it under a desk without extra cover!)
(Post Link) post #16 of 25 Old 16-02-19 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Well, the desk is in. So far we've done the minimum modification needed to get the computer in - chopped out the crosspiece between the cupboard and drawer, and the backing to the cupboard.

The rest is cosmetic - reattaching the drawer front and crosspiece on top of the cupboard door. Intention is to do so with hinges though to allow it to open downwards, so I need to find some hinges that match as well as possible.

The only downside I've found so far is that I failed to realise how deep the back of the desktop is. 12cm as there is a crossmember there. This means that my monitor arm can't clamp on, so I'm back on the standard stand for now.
Anyone know of a monitor arm that can clamp on that big? As ironic as it might seem, I don't want to cut any more bits out of the desk.

I will now attach a picture, which will almost definitely be upside down. You think the amount of crap on that desk is bad? You should have seen it when I didn't have drawers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2583(1).jpg (148.3 KB, 12 views)
(Post Link) post #17 of 25 Old 16-02-19 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Holy crap, it's the right way up!

Now I've got a classy desk, I might have to get a nicer looking fan...
AO Platinum Member

...or some cable tidys.
(Post Link) post #19 of 25 Old 17-02-19 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

The thing about cable tidies is that they work great if all your cables are going from and to the same place.
AO Platinum Member

For goodness sake Bazza, just get yourself organised!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Not bad, bear but I want to see more pics of your fireplace. That's an impressive looking surround (from what I can see of it).
(Post Link) post #22 of 25 Old 18-02-19 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Don't get me started on that fireplace!

The (gas) fire had been disconnected when we moved in, so we got a heating engineer to look at it. The flue draws perfectly, and he was about to recommission it when he spotted flames coming from where they shouldn't!

Since then, and including that guy, we have had 3 engineers come to look at it, decide what needs doing to recommission it ... and then disappear never to be seen again.

I suspect that it's probably difficult and fiddly work that they don't really want to do, and doesn't pay them well. So we continue to have a fire that doesn't work. Our current plumber (who is doing our bathrooms) was asked about it and never answered, so I'll have to try to collar him at some point.

It basically needs everything replacing within the grate - coal bed, piping and regulator. I quite like it. But if I was picking from scratch I suspect I'd go for something more modern, so there's also a little bit of me saying with all that work to be done, we might as well just replace it.

I'll let you know if we ever make a decision on that!

P.S. Yes, that is Pinky and The Brain.

P.P.S. Those wires are to the Rift headset, so they can't be tucked away, so shut it Keithy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2586.jpg (165.5 KB, 5 views)
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Pinky and the Brain, you say. Have you happened to see this?

Well, at least your non-functioning object is decorative and pretty. It could be worse: it could be non-functional and completely hideous.

My parents have been watching a lot of the British show Escape to the Country. (One of the cable channels hear has started running it relentlessly. I suspect it was a cheap programming buy.) In the bits I've seen of the show, it seems like you guys have got a lot of old fireplaces that have been converted to gas, but they've been converted in such a way that is really unfamiliar to my eye. The gas conversions here don't tend to have the big, heavy iron surrounds. Ours are more open and airy, typically with glass doors.
(Post Link) post #24 of 25 Old 18-02-19 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

That was fun.

Ours is most certainly not an old one changed to gas (house is only about 20 years old) - but I think the fact that such things are prevalent is the reason why it is the style it is (because such a style is common here).
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

I would have never suspected that. I guess that's today's lesson in interior decorating quirks in British home design.

If the house is only 20-years-old, the fireplace really should work. That must be some shoddy construction and craftsmanship.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
computer , desk , planning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page