Sonos or Bose? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Verbout

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 03-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Sonos or Bose?

Whatcha think, whatcha got?

I was looking at a Sonos, usual problem, I like the one that has suddenly gone AWOL, the 3. I suspect it has been discontinued while they re-do it with Alexa. Bose, in the meantime, have the 500, similar size to the 3.

It’s all the same to me so should I have one over the other? Do we think they will launch a 3 with Alexa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Sonos is a really good system - sounds great.
Streams all my tunes from a network connected hard drive, plus spotify, tunein etc.

I have 2 old Sonos 5s in the kitchen and a connect in the living room with my main amp and speakers.
My high-end hifi loving friend bought a stupidly expensive cd player recently and plugged it into my system to try - he couldn't distinguish between the same tune on his player or from my hard drive through Sonos connect.

I have an Alexa "Dot" which I unplugged and put in a cupboard through Big Brother listening fear ........so personally I'd not be keen on versions containing built in ears, other levels of paranoia are available I believe
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Sonos is fantastic if you are genuinely going to use it in multiple rooms. If you're not - it's still good, but you can probably get as good for less money.

I have a playbar on the TV in the lounge, a 5 in the dining room, and a One in the kitchen, and very, very pleased with them.

I believe you're right that the 3 is in line for an update, but I'm surprised they've stopped the 3 because of it - you can still buy play:1's despite the One superseding it.

The One, for Chris's benefit, does have the ability to turn off the microphone. Although you could not trust that I guess.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
(Post Link) post #4 of 24 Old 03-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Nobody in the Bose corner?
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

If the Bose in my GT is anything to go by...
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Sonos for me all the time, I have had a couple of Bose products, ipod docks mainly - rendered useless by the change to the lightning connector (and the fact I favour Android now).

Currently have a play 5 and 4x play 1s in various rooms, would like the sound bar but including sub, the price means its just not worth it for me.

We have a central music library, streamed off a NAS drive which makes Sonos a logical choice.

Shame their app and connection status is a bit finnicky.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I have a Bose Soundlink Bluetooth speaker, love it. I use it around the house and take it with me on holiday, sounds excellent and it’s dinky.

Bose theatre system as well, non portable but the sound is nice, but not overwhelming better than the much cheaper Panasonic system before that.

Last edited by Verbout; 04-02-19 at 09:31.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

That's interesting. The connection has been absolutely flawless for me, and incredibly easy to set up. Similar to you - I run my own music off my PC, so I don't need a music subscription service.

Actually, slightly sneakily, I also have the free google music service, which uploads all my music to their cloud. This means that on the very infrequent times I might want to listen to music without my PC on, it's still all available to the Sonos systems.

The only small downside to this approach instead of a Spotify subscription, is that the voice controls on the One don't recognise a command to play something from your own music server (although they can still answer questions like "what artist is this"). I suppose it also means I am not introduced to new music. But it's all (probably) crap anyway.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

“I suppose it also means I am not introduced to new music. But it's all (probably) crap anyway”

You are my 84 year old father, I’ll be around later with a cooked dinner for you.
Keithy, Sterzo and Starkers like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Good point raised by Verbout, we've taken a Play 1 away in the past, and if you don't have Wifi, or access to a router you're stuffed, and being a Play 1 there is no aux input.

I sneakily suspect that our connectivity issues can be attributed to when it was set up, we were on the beta program of the app, which the owner steadfastly refuses to leave.... Added to the fact we have a big old 1930's house, with solid walls throughout and naturally, the Sonos' are at the furthest reaches - we have the Sonos Bridge also, which is supposed to tie everything together, again, unnecessarily as it is all mesh networking or similar? - that and there's probably 60+ things fighting for bandwidth at any one time....

We have Amazon Music, which I don't use too much, and my brother mistakenly logged in with his Spotify, so I steal that from him, but oddly I use the TuneIn radio service more than anything else.

Our music collection has been collected over numerous decades and including from dubious sources so not quite willing to upload it to Google's servers!

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes

Last edited by amfalconer; 04-02-19 at 13:20. Reason: spelling.....
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Neither.

Squeezeserver on QNAP box, and old Squeeze devices where they still survive. Where they haven’t survived, Squeeze is Open Source, so I’m running it on a Pi with a high end DAC. This all plugs into whatever speakers we have kicking around the house. Pretty much any device with an audio processor can become a player so I can output to a bluetooth speaker at the same time as having a really good feed into a decent hifi.

Sonos seems staggeringly expensive for what you get, and is closed, so you can’t fiddle with it, and when they go bust/get bought, you’re stuffed.

Oh yes, on holiday, I can simply VPN into home and the music collection is playable.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I have a Squeezebox Touch actually which I need to sell now I have changed to Sonos.

Do they go for a good price, given that you can't buy them new now?
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Looks like you're right about the Play:3. But if you've got any Richer Sounds near you, some are selling them off as clearance stock at an excellent price of £140. They might be ex-display, I'm not sure.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearan...k.html?instore
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Hmm. I might have misunderstood that listing, and it's only £140 in Bromley.
(Post Link) post #15 of 24 Old 19-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Four left in whole country, Brum and Hanley are nearest to me. Don't fancy the trip TBH.

Sonos made their half year launch announcement, it was an amp, not a revised play 3
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

You've got to imagine one is coming though. As you say, the 3 seems to have completely disappeared from sale. It's not listed on their own website either.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Your best bet might be to buy 2 Ones and pair them up.
Or 2 Play:1's if you're not bothered about Airplay and Alexa. That's £258 for the pair in Richer Sounds.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blas.../dp/B00W8O6MJO

Boom.

Even works as a USB soundcard/DAC for computers and Androids that support external DACs.
(Post Link) post #19 of 24 Old 07-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Wow!

That’s awesome.

What is it? Does it do 78s?
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
It does EVERYTHING.

And it was only $99.

Also, if you really went Alexa you can add it to any speakers with an Alexa Input.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blas.../dp/B00W8O6MJO

Boom.

Even works as a USB soundcard/DAC for computers and Androids that support external DACs.
No. Roar.

This is a boom.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X6JCB...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Also that is a very good wireless speaker. But a wireless speaker and a multiroom system are not the same thing. If he wants the former, then the Sonos is a waste of money. But if he wants the latter, then the Roar won't fulfill the brief.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 Ti TBI 200

I have a SONOS Beam and two PLAY:1s in my front room, which I have set up as a 5.1 system for the TV. I also have a SONOS 1 in our kitchen.

I honestly cannot recommend them highly enough. They are absolutely fantastic.

The Beam in particular is a brilliant piece of kit. It's very small for a soundbar, but it's got a huge sound.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
Not sure what else one needs really!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
bose , sonos