Sky Router..... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
The Technology Section A place to discuss technology & gadgets.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Cutterbuck
  • 1 Post By Paddy OPlastic

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 29-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Sky Router.....

I’ve just subscribed to Sky for telephone and broadband. My previous provider Plusnet couldn’t or wouldn’t give me a decent deal.

The router is crap, we struggle to get a good connection in the kitchen, five yards from the router, upstairs is just as bad.

I dug out my old favourite Draytec router to use instead but the Sky router browser does not show connection details.

Has anyone knowledge of how to get these details? They’re available on other router browsers but Sky don’t want to give them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
I’ve just subscribed to Sky for telephone and broadband. My previous provider Plusnet couldn’t or wouldn’t give me a decent deal.

The router is crap, we struggle to get a good connection in the kitchen, five yards from the router, upstairs is just as bad.

I dug out my old favourite Draytec router to use instead but the Sky router browser does not show connection details.

Has anyone knowledge of how to get these details? They’re available on other router browsers but Sky don’t want to give them out.
Any help?
How-To: Replace the Sky default router SR102 with a TP-Link Archer VR900 ? Taupila.co.uk
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Just done the same, mine seems Ok, the only slow bit is the upstairs PC on a powerline adaptor. Have you done anything daft like wrapping the router in tin foil or having your master socket next to a Tesla coil or the charger for your ‘lectrickery powered Licksarse?
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 29-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Cheers Ami’ I’ll look into that. I’ve done searches but some suggest downloading software, I’ll check this out when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Just done the same, mine seems Ok, the only slow bit is the upstairs PC on a powerline adaptor. Have you done anything daft like wrapping the router in tin foil or having your master socket next to a Tesla coil or the charger for your ‘lectrickery powered Licksarse?
I have the same setup upstairs with a powerline adapter, works great, WIFI not brilliant.

After a great deal of arguing on live chat they’re sending me a new router. I’ll check out Ami’s advice when I get home.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
I have the same setup upstairs with a powerline adapter, works great, WIFI not brilliant.
Odd, mine only pulls 6 MBps on the powerline so is really sluggish.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
I had some wifi issues recently and got a "man" round who knows about such things.

I asked about the BT standard Hub5 Router I got for "free" with BT and suggested it might be a bit of old tat- but he said the standard routers supplied by BT were actually good bits of kit and could handle much more than most domestic users would push through it.

Turned out my issue was with wireless "conflict" between my Sky kit (I have a couple of Sky Q boxes) and everything else. He changed some whippery-fuggery around on settings and (touch wood) all good so far.

He reckoned that Sky have form for being a bit fast and loose with their wireless kit and he sees the issue a lot with Sky systems and wireless knackery.

And with that - I wish you good luck!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post
I had some wifi issues recently and got a "man" round who knows about such things.....
He changed some whippery-fuggery around on settings and (touch wood) all good so far.
He reckoned that Sky have form for being a bit fast and loose with their wireless kit and he sees the issue a lot with Sky systems and wireless knackery.!
Spoken like every IT director I have ever had to work with.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 01-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I had a rather long live chat with Sky customer services about my issue.

They said it was my “environment”, how they knew that I don’t know because nothing had changed in my environment while using a Plusnet router for a year and a BT router before that.

They wanted to sell me a WiFi booster for £40, I got quite angry, as angry as one can get in a text conversation, and demanded an escalation of the issue.

They’ve sent me a new router, badabing badaboom we’re rocking in the isles, great coverage all over the mansion.

I’m still going to go with Ami’s advice and install my Draytec at some point.

Garry

DISCLAIMER
Apologies for spelling mistakes, bad grammar and misplaced, or even lack of apostrophes.

TSR 2 Test Flight
AO Member

County: Berkshire
It's worth looking into the wifi bands and channels you are using. There are two current different wifi frequencies; 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. 2.4Ghz is the older standard and every device will support 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz is the newer faster frequency and older devices might not support it. Most modern routers will provide both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and will let you run both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi networks at the same time. 2.4Ghz gets through walls etc better, (lower wavelength = lower attenuation by obstructions), even then 50 meters reduced by 25% for each wall or floor the signal passes through is a decent rule of thumb).

Within those frequencies there are distinct channels which can usually be set on your routers config pages. Broadband providers have a habit of installing every router device on the same channel and when that happens the routers have to wait for each other to talk. 2.4Ghz technically has 11 channels but there is a degree of interplay between them. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are truly independent. Channel 3 would tread a bit on channel 1 and 6. Channel 2 treads more on 1 and less on 6 etc. The 5Ghz bandwidth has more channels and there is no crosstalk between them but it's range is far worse if you have a solidly built house with brick interior walls.

If you are having range issues make sure you are on the 2.4Ghz wifi network and then try logging into your routers web interface and experimenting with channels 1, 6 and 11 to see if you get an improvement. There is no need to change settings on your client devices as they will follow the changes you make on your router. If you have an apple idevice you can download the free "apple airport utility" and use that to scan wifi networks in your area - I can see 4 routers fighting over channel 11 here. I am sharing 6 with one other household and there is only one router on 1. I live on a 50's built estate of semi detached houses with decent sized front and back gardens. It's not exactly high density housing.

I don't do the technical side of networking anymore, but I had a ruddy nightmare with reliable connections when I started working from home.
FredDibnah and Verbout like this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 02-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Cheers Cutterbuck.

I do, as a matter of course, change channel when I get a new router.

Last edited by Verbout; 02-01-19 at 09:06.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Alternatively a WiFi AP that can accept a 20 dB antenna will ensure that the neighbours 5 houses away will get perfect coverage from your network.....
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I'm going to investigate the physical network the previous owner installed. I'm erring towards powerline over wireless for main machines if it fails, with wireless just for convenience, but I too play with the channels (and of course admin username/password) with new routers although I've done less than I'd like with this Virgin one. I have an ASUS that is better but not cable so I need to sort out the daisy chaining at some point. It's part of last year's New Year's resolution lol ;-)
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Netgear have a WiFi app (I have it for Android, perhaps it exists for iPhone too) which can show you all the channels being used in the vicinity so you can avoid using the same channels as your neighbours. I'm sure there are lots of similar apps available.
Verbout likes this.
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 03-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I’ll have a look, cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > The Technology Section

Tags
router , sky

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page